• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From 'born again' to agnostic

Danmac

Yep, that was when I was a kid. I suspect although I came out with the horrible cliches so beloved of fundies and thought I believed it, I didn't really. It didn't take me long to kick it all into touch at 19 when I married.

So since you have a history of believing, but not really believing, why should we consider your opinion now?

Misty

So since you have a history of believing, but not really believing, why should we consider your opinion now?

Would you want what you thought as a young kid, when you were still wet behind the ears, brought up now? Besides which I don't give a flying fairy if you consider my opinion or not!

Danmac

Would you want what you thought as a young kid, when you were still wet behind the ears, brought up now? Besides which I don't give a flying fairy if you consider my opinion or not!

You said you were 19 when you unconverted. 18 year olds are young but very capable of making rational decisions. btw. I was asking you why we should consider your opinion. How can I trust it? That is my question.

Misty

You said you were 19 when you unconverted. 18 year olds are young but very capable of making rational decisions. btw. I was asking you why we should consider your opinion. How can I trust it? That is my question.

You have to make up you own mind about that. How can I trust your opinion? All we have are opinions, we don't have 'THE TRUTH'!

Danmac

You have to make up you own mind about that. How can I trust your opinion? All we have are opinions, we don't have 'THE TRUTH'!

Is it possible that your real problem is with your grandmother and whoever else there was that painted God bad in your eyes, and not necessarily God? Why does God have to be the bad guy when they were the ones that taught you he was an evil cruel dictator? when in reality He is not.

Misty

Is it possible that your real problem is with your grandmother and whoever else there was that painted God bad in your eyes, and not necessarily God? Why does God have to be the bad guy when they were the ones that taught you he was an evil cruel dictator? when in reality He is not.

I am sixty years of age and have read the Bible through 3 times and continue to read the book daily. My opinions in my old age are formed by my reading of that book, NOT by my upbringing.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
It is not a case if proving God to an atheist. In my view it is actually a waste of time. As a Christian it is a thing of great beauty to discuss the pathways of God. As a Christian Mystic it opens amazing opportunities in everyday life.
If you deny that the mountain exists, there is no mountain-trail to explore, to enjoy and beauty to experience.
But, hey... If you are to scared to try this kind of life, you can always buy a DVD of some nice mountain passes and imagine yourself on it.
The truth is - for those who want to seek God, they will find Him and He will take you on a literal journey of your life. It is not a journey of lenghts but one of depth. If you don't believe in God or a god - just sit back and enjoy the mundane!
I am sorry for some of your guys' "bad christian" experiences. But the truth is - it does not take anything away from the truth and beauty of this amazing way of live.

Are you saying that people fail to believe in the existence of your God because they're too scared to try this way of life?

news bulletin: We're atheists because the evidence indicates that there is no God. That's it. No guessing required.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Because being willing to admit and correct an error contributes to someone's credibility. Staying in whatever system you were brainwashed as a child does not.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Actually, in reality he just plain is not.

As usual, you seem to be struggling with a very simple concept. She doesn't believe God exists. Get it? Not that God is bad, but that God is non-existent. Get back to me when you've mastered that.

Danmac

Actually, in reality he just plain is not.

As usual, you seem to be struggling with a very simple concept. She doesn't believe God exists. Get it? Not that God is bad, but that God is non-existent. Get back to me when you've mastered that.

I see that you have no problem answering for others, but God forbid that someone answer for you. Such hypocrisy.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I see that you have no problem answering for others, but God forbid that someone answer for you. Such hypocrisy.

Dude, she's an atheist. I'm just pointing out the obvious. And you of all people should not be calling other people names, especially hypocrite. If Misty has a problem with my response, she's quite capable of letting me know.

Here's the essential difference, one which seems trivial to you. My statement was correct. Yours was not. I do not appreciate people telling lies about me. Do you?

Misty

Dude, she's an atheist. I'm just pointing out the obvious. And you of all people should not be calling other people names, especially hypocrite. If Misty has a problem with my response, she's quite capable of letting me know.

Here's the essential difference, one which seems trivial to you. My statement was correct. Yours was not. I do not appreciate people telling lies about me. Do you?

Actually I am an agnostic, and of course I agree with your response. It is Danmac who has a problem!:rolleyes:

jml03

EXACTLY - bottom line, so for all the logic you possess, there still is no absolute truth.

Danmac

Originally Posted by Danmac
I don't think she (Autodidact) knows herself.

Originally Posted by Autodidact
I prefer to speak for myself, thank you.

Misty, Is it possible that your real problem is with your grandmother and whoever else there was that painted God bad in your eyes, and not necessarily God? Why does God have to be the bad guy when they were the ones that taught you he was an evil cruel dictator? when in reality He is not.

Actually, in reality he just plain is not. As usual, you seem to be struggling with a very simple concept. She doesn't believe God exists. Get it? Not that God is bad, but that God is non-existent. Get back to me when you've mastered that.

First of all you were not pointing out the obvious, because she is not an athiest. This was very misleading on your part.

Originally Posted by Misty
Actually I am an agnostic, and of course I agree with your response. It is Danmac who has a problem!:rolleyes:

Second of all, don't practice hypocrisy and I wont call you on it.

Misty

EXACTLY - bottom line, so for all the logic you possess, there still is no absolute truth.

I don't claim to have a great intellect, which is probably obvious from my posts.:no: I can only tell it how I see it, I don't expect others to change their views to adapt to mine, anymore than I will change mine to adapt to theirs.

Misty

First of all you were not pointing out the obvious, because she is not an athiest. This was very misleading on your part.

Originally Posted by Misty

Second of all, don't practice hypocrisy and I wont call you on it.

You really are a pain in the rear end.:eek: Why bother to respond to my posts if they bug you so much, why don't you just ignore them?

Wotan

Why is Danmac that this god you are so sure of REQUIRES faith to be believed? Nothing else in the real world he - allegedly designed - nothing requires any degree of faith whatever. You can understand and even control many aspects of the real world with no "faith" whatever. Simple reason and the willingness to use it and we can learn HOW god did what you claim he did.

But his actual existence - that is matter of pure unsupported faith that has NO evidence whatever beyond what believers chose to accept.

How come?

Danmac

Why is Danmac that this god you are so sure of REQUIRES faith to be believed? Nothing else in the real world he - allegedly designed - nothing requires any degree of faith whatever. You can understand and even control many aspects of the real world with no "faith" whatever. Simple reason and the willingness to use it and we can learn HOW god did what you claim he did.

People take risks all of the time. In taking a risk we are to different degrees placing faith in a thing or a system, or whatever it is. People put faith in stocks, stockbrokers, parachutes, investments, other people, and many such like things. The problem is none of these things can be completely trusted one hundred percent of the time.
But his actual existence - that is matter of pure unsupported faith that has NO evidence whatever beyond what believers chose to accept.

How come?

Faith in God can be put to a test. I know this from experience. I cannot prove it to you, but I know it for myself. God is not a genie, and He does not cater to selfish requests, but I have witnessed things that defy logic thru the application of faith.