• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From a religious perspective, why do I feel as if I am being slowly drawn to dharmic religions and c

Crossroads2013

Hello, everyone! It's nice to meet you! I am at a crossroads in life, and want to know if many of you can help me with this.

I would like to get an answer for this from any religious perspective; Hindu, Christian, Islam, etc. For the past 2 years, I have been on and off attracted to the idea of becoming a vegan. Not long after that, I began to wonder, after hearing one of my favorite bands from the 60's; The Doors, had taken LSD, and I've always thought there is a certain meaning to their music, but my mom always seemed stunned when I told her I like their sound. She wasted no time in telling me that they did LSD constantly, and she couldn't quite understand why I liked the sound, but The Doors is not the primary reason I am being influenced, and I only listen to them every once in a while. Mom kind of ruined it for me. Anyway, aside from all that, for the last few weeks, I have started to question my faith, and this was after a week-long research into spirituality and psychedelic drugs (yes, which are illegal). I was reading about many stories of people doing these drugs; both bad trips and good. Since there were mixed reviews, I laid off of learning about them for a while. Then, it hit me. There was a reason I was trying to escape through a drug-induced mystical experience. I am miserable, but want to be happy. I was hit with the realization that the God, or Jehovah, of Christianity, did not want to help me; not even bless me with the feeling that he's even listening to me. I first picked up the bible when I was only 9, and haven't looked back since then, except for the past few weeks. I have always seen myself as strong, but like I said, life has not been meaningful for me. No, I am not contemplating taking my life, or doing drugs.

I have tried to explore Hinduism twice the past year, and each time I say the Hare Krishna mantra, I get this feeling of peace and serenity; like my soul is protected, like things will be alright. I am a thinker, though, and logical, and the main thing that attracted me to Hinduism is the logical viewpoint of the Rishis, or Indian "seers" who wrote the Vedas, which I believe is where all the scientific and astronomical theories originate. There are so many Sanskrit texts, that I do not know where to begin. I loved the Bhagavad Gita, but upon further inspection, the constant mention of Yoga, and what it all entails, put across to me the message that "just close your mind, see the gods, you are god, along with Brahman" kept occurring to me in my search, but it never sounded right. After all, it was Lord Krishna who stopped time itself before the war at Kurukshetra, to show Arjuna the things he needed to know when Krishna basically told him to fight all his enemies; even the ones Arjuna had grown to see as gurus and father figures his whole life. Krishna mentioned reincarnation in this text as well; a concept I have never grasped nor understood.

I have not only been learning of Hinduism, however, but also Buddhism. Basically, I take it that both sides are saying the same thing; one with Brahman, Yoga, empty your mind, transcendental meditation, etc. I have also read the Christian perspective on these religions as well, and Christianity, I always knew, insisted on its own way, and no other. This is in stark contrast to the Hindu teaching of "all roads lead to Krishna".

I recently purchased a book called Death of a Guru, and in it, a Hindu, sure he was god, along with everything else, and an avatar, converts to being a Christian, because he could never quite accept the karma, reincarnation theory, etc., especially since there is no way to know what wrong you did in a past life, therefore making it hard to "learn your lesson", "move up to the highest caste to be a Brahmin" and then to "go into nirvana". Raji, the author, needed something more; a god separate from him, and all creation, so he converted to Christianity.

One thing I found alarming, and quite interesting, about his book, is when he mentions how LSD drug trips, and any other psychoactive drug, exactly resembles the transcendental state of the yogis. That brought to mind the 1960's, and all the rebellion, which I know nothing about as I didn't live in that era. He went on to say that the devil (Satan) is the one behind all the rock music, LSD taking, and mystic experiences, whether they be from Hinduism, or drugs, and he became totally convinced that all the millions of gods of Hinduism, none of which he ever felt love from, or drawn to, were nothing but demons, sent from Satan to influence sin into mankind.

I have also done research into Yoga, and found many people to admit that yoga, as well as opening the third eye chakra, can be dangerous, since it invites devils and evil spirits into one's life.

All these concepts; veganism, eastern ways of thinking, etc., has me compelled to believe that I am being drawn to dharmic religions. Why is this? I want to make the right choice; no matter what I have to abandon, or what I have to learn to grasp. At a crossroads. Thank you.

MaxPayne

Brain User
and each time I say the Hare Krishna mantra, I get this feeling of peace and serenity
Does this imply that God only knows Sanskrit?
If we can learn so many languages, why can't he?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Welcome to RF.

I recently purchased a book called Death of a Guru, and in it, a Hindu, sure he was god, along with everything else, and an avatar, converts to being a Christian, because he could never quite accept the karma, reincarnation theory, etc., especially since there is no way to know what wrong you did in a past life, therefore making it hard to "learn your lesson", "move up to the highest caste to be a Brahmin" and then to "go into nirvana". Raji, the author, needed something more; a god separate from him, and all creation, so he converted to Christianity.

(...)

I have also done research into Yoga, and found many people to admit that yoga, as well as opening the third eye chakra, can be dangerous, since it invites devils and evil spirits into one's life.

That seems to be what some people believe. I must say that it is a very slanted, if not libelous, view.

Yoga is certainly not meant to invite devils and evil spirits, if for no other reason because it does not even use those concepts.

All these concepts; veganism, eastern ways of thinking, etc., has me compelled to believe that I am being drawn to dharmic religions. Why is this? I want to make the right choice; no matter what I have to abandon, or what I have to learn to grasp. At a crossroads. Thank you.

Dharmic religion just plain makes sense, IMO. A good exercise is to every now and then describe the concepts that you learn with your own words. One can learn a surprising lot that way.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Interesting post, Crossroads.

I hope you can stick around. I grew up in the 60s but really only caught the tail end of it. Yes the doors were psychedelic. I listened to them back then a bit too. I would agree with Luis that the dharmic stuff doesn't open you up to the devil, I think that's just Christianity's way of expressing fear of the unknown ... it's the devil. An oversimplification mostly.

Hinduism goes far beyond the Hare Krishna mantra. That's an essential component of only one sect. It's really vast and takes a while to explore, even just the basics. But it's quite possible to. One thing you should know about us (hindus) is that for the most part, we're more into practice than philosophy, although there are scholars who want to focus on philosophy.

I would suggest that a visit to a Hindu temple might be in order. You will get a better FEEL for it there that from any book.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Hello, everyone! It's nice to meet you! I am at a crossroads in life, and want to know if many of you can help me with this.

I would like to get an answer for this from any religious perspective; Hindu, Christian, Islam, etc. For the past 2 years, I have been on and off attracted to the idea of becoming a vegan. Not long after that, I began to wonder, after hearing one of my favorite bands from the 60's; The Doors, had taken LSD, and I've always thought there is a certain meaning to their music, but my mom always seemed stunned when I told her I like their sound. She wasted no time in telling me that they did LSD constantly, and she couldn't quite understand why I liked the sound, but The Doors is not the primary reason I am being influenced, and I only listen to them every once in a while. Mom kind of ruined it for me. Anyway, aside from all that, for the last few weeks, I have started to question my faith, and this was after a week-long research into spirituality and psychedelic drugs (yes, which are illegal). I was reading about many stories of people doing these drugs; both bad trips and good. Since there were mixed reviews, I laid off of learning about them for a while. Then, it hit me. There was a reason I was trying to escape through a drug-induced mystical experience. I am miserable, but want to be happy. I was hit with the realization that the God, or Jehovah, of Christianity, did not want to help me; not even bless me with the feeling that he's even listening to me. I first picked up the bible when I was only 9, and haven't looked back since then, except for the past few weeks. I have always seen myself as strong, but like I said, life has not been meaningful for me. No, I am not contemplating taking my life, or doing drugs.

I have tried to explore Hinduism twice the past year, and each time I say the Hare Krishna mantra, I get this feeling of peace and serenity; like my soul is protected, like things will be alright. I am a thinker, though, and logical, and the main thing that attracted me to Hinduism is the logical viewpoint of the Rishis, or Indian "seers" who wrote the Vedas, which I believe is where all the scientific and astronomical theories originate. There are so many Sanskrit texts, that I do not know where to begin. I loved the Bhagavad Gita, but upon further inspection, the constant mention of Yoga, and what it all entails, put across to me the message that "just close your mind, see the gods, you are god, along with Brahman" kept occurring to me in my search, but it never sounded right. After all, it was Lord Krishna who stopped time itself before the war at Kurukshetra, to show Arjuna the things he needed to know when Krishna basically told him to fight all his enemies; even the ones Arjuna had grown to see as gurus and father figures his whole life. Krishna mentioned reincarnation in this text as well; a concept I have never grasped nor understood.

I have not only been learning of Hinduism, however, but also Buddhism. Basically, I take it that both sides are saying the same thing; one with Brahman, Yoga, empty your mind, transcendental meditation, etc. I have also read the Christian perspective on these religions as well, and Christianity, I always knew, insisted on its own way, and no other. This is in stark contrast to the Hindu teaching of "all roads lead to Krishna".

One thing I found alarming, and quite interesting, about his book, is when he mentions how LSD drug trips, and any other psychoactive drug, exactly resembles the transcendental state of the yogis. That brought to mind the 1960's, and all the rebellion, which I know nothing about as I didn't live in that era. He went on to say that the devil (Satan) is the one behind all the rock music, LSD taking, and mystic experiences, whether they be from Hinduism, or drugs, and he became totally convinced that all the millions of gods of Hinduism, none of which he ever felt love from, or drawn to, were nothing but demons, sent from Satan to influence sin into mankind.

The Doors? Nice...I'm more of a Magic Carpet or a Beatles type of person myself. Anyway, I can relate somewhat to your experience. I also enjoy chanting mantras, especially the Hare Krishna Mahamantra! In the song Awaiting For You All, George Harrison says, “...by chanting the names of the Lord, you'll be free." I'm also deeply fascinated by Hinduism. My advice to you, dear friend, is continue to study Hinduism as well as other Dharmic religions! But be careful about what you go into....

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The Doors? Nice...
I grew up in LA in the 60's. Mystical hippies got me into pot, the Doors, vegetarianism, and yoga. All those things changed my life from being an empty follower of what my parents did. My Dad had the same job for 40 plus years, everyday the same thing. My friends and I would sit back and get into a trance-like state listening to the instrumental part of Light My Fire. All of it was dangerous, even vegetarianism. Some people died trying to get too pure too fast by eating nothing but brown rice. But what was the alternative? Get drafted? Hell no. Get a lame job and spend the rest of my life working my life away? Go to church like my parents and sit in a pew every Sunday and pretend you're doing what's right?

Pot, LSD, the Doors, yoga and everything else saved a lot of us from the living hell of what "modern" society thought was real. You can't be scared of trying new things to find out the real truth, your truth. But, you can't be stupid, there's liars and exploiters in every religion. Give them time, your soul and some money and what they teach and preach will probably help you, a little. I never trusted any of them completely. I had one foot in the door to see what was going on and one foot out ready to run.

But seriously, do you really think that the devil cares if you do some deep breathing and some stretches? The Christian devil is every where. If you're going to believe in him and fear him, then become a born-again Christian, and don't do yoga, don't eat health foods, don't get concerned over the environment, vote conservative republican, don't dance and especially, don't listen to rock music.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have tried to explore Hinduism twice the past year, and each time I say the Hare Krishna mantra, I get this feeling of peace and serenity; like my soul is protected, like things will be alright.

I loved the Bhagavad Gita, but upon further inspection, the constant mention of Yoga, and what it all entails, put across to me the message that "just close your mind, see the gods, you are god, along with Brahman" kept occurring to me in my search, but it never sounded right.

Krishna mentioned reincarnation in this text as well; a concept I have never grasped nor understood.

One thing I found alarming, and quite interesting, about his book, is when he mentions how LSD drug trips, ..

First thing about the book, you purchased the book because it had 'guru' in its name. These are cheap kind of books that the new Indian English writers are writing. They do not represent India and they do not represent Hinduism. Furthermore, I am also alarmed by the hero of the book using drugs. We in India, at least of the middle-income group never use drugs. It is a strict 'no, no'. Just burn the book.

Kindly visit the Hindu/Buddhist forums for correct information. 'Karma' and re-incarnation' are social constructs to egg people on righteous ways. Do good and reap the benefit, avoid punishment. That sort of thing. It is so simple. If you want to know about Hinduism start with Upanishads, Ramayana, and Bhagawat Purana.

There is no problem about Brahman. What Hinduism says is that the sole constituent of all things is Brahman, whether living or non-living, which is about right. Are not all things composed of atoms?

Then keep away from 'Chakras'. Meditation is a simple bio-feedback technique with which you can cut out mental chatter and focus on something. That gives you better answers. And 'nirvana' is having your questions answered. It is not necessary to go vegan in Hinduism. Even among brahmins, there are some castes where non-vegetarian food is permitted.

I do not know whether you would come back to the topic or how your views have changed in the intervening two months, but I reply in hope that the information would be useful to any person who might have an interest in Hinduism.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Does this imply that God only knows Sanskrit?
If we can learn so many languages, why can't he?
That depends on whether one needs a God or not. I am an atheist 'advaitist' hindu (I believe in non-duality). I do not need Gods. Of course, Gods/Goddesses will know the need of a person who needs them without the person knowing Sanskrit. Are they not omniscient?