• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friends with benefits

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall
Years back I remember watching a documentary about a 60s experiment where they put a bunch of nude males and females into some kind of observed environment and left them to get on with it. It ended badly, despite trying to be "free from all inhibitions" etc. Some ladies didn't want to be sex toys for the guys who just wanted to be constantly at it.

They tried the whole "it's your social inhibitions/conditioning on a sobbing, pretty blonde who was clearly having a breakdown. But back then there was a utopian hippy assumption about a lost natural freedom to do what you want, when you wanted to with no crass, socially imposed restrictions.

I remember reading something similar, could have even been the same thing. For years the mentality of most men is "sex is something men want but women have", and that women dont like or want sex. That has not been my experience. My experience has been very different and has been since I started showing interest in women when I was 18. To some degree I've been blessed with reasonably good looks and all I can say is nearly all the women I know are highly sexual and it doesn't seem to mater what age they are. I'm 65 and one of my female friends, is a 36 year old interior designer, she is highly sexual, shes actually a friend of my wife. I think the problem for most people is they are unable to envision being sexual with someone when there are no romantic feelings, its called social programming. Being sexual is about pleasure.

To have different experiences one has to think at a different level, most are unable to do that so in their smugness they sit back and judge. Being in an Open Marriage for 41 years has been a wonderful experience for both my wife and I.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I remember reading something similar, could have even been the same thing. For years the mentality of most men is "sex is something men want but women have", and that women dont like or want sex. That has not been my experience. My experience has been very different and has been since I started showing interest in women when I was 18.

I grew up in a very small town located in a mostly rural Midwestern county -- a place where old, outdated ideas died slowly, if at all. Even when I was in high school, the predominant notion was that men wanted sex and women were indifferent or put off by it. I think there's a huge difference between how freely women today show sexual interest and how reticent they were to show interest back then in that time and place.

Srivijaya

For years the mentality of most men is "sex is something men want but women have", and that women dont like or want sex. That has not been my experience.
Yeah, I think that changed a while ago. The girls I was at college with made sure they got plenty - even the goody-goody ones who had 'boyfriends' at home. And they did a lot of the hunting.

nearly all the women I know are highly sexual and it doesn't seem to mater what age they are.
It could be as much to do with the person you are, attracting 'those' kind of ladies to you. A kind of symbiosis.

I think the problem for most people is they are unable to envision being sexual with someone when there are no romantic feelings
Quickies have always happened throughout history. I don't think it's an either or scenario, we get different things from romantic relationships and purely sexual ones. Both fulfill different needs.

To have different experiences one has to think at a different level, most are unable to do that so in their smugness they sit back and judge. Being in an Open Marriage for 41 years has been a wonderful experience for both my wife and I.
A guess that's tough squaring your lifestyle with a general monogamous Christian ethos (which I gather from your blurb). You're going to be judged but then again anyone who isn't faithful is judged - trash newspapers live from such tidbits of scandal. Some are shocked and others unlucky enough to get caught.

Trackdayguy

I grew up in a very small town located in a mostly rural Midwestern county -- a place where old, outdated ideas died slowly, if at all. Even when I was in high school, the predominant notion was that men wanted sex and women were indifferent or put off by it. I think there's a huge difference between how freely women today show sexual interest and how reticent they were to show interest back then in that time and place.

I think your absolutely correct. The birth control pill and the on going liberation of women has allowed them to shine, I'm a huge fan of the WLM. All I can say is its a huge turn for me being around sexual motivated women. Sadly due low self esteem and many other issues, many men are very intimidated by highly sexual women, they say their not by, trying to be the alpha male, but it usually comes out in the bedroom where their controlling.

On of the problems is the masses due to social programming have sexualised relationships. If we agree that men and women are different but have the same value and worth as a man, why do people place different judgements on male/male and male/female social interactions. What's the difference if I have lunch out with a male friend or a female friend. Once you create a difference you have sexualised the friendship. I have many female friends some Im sexual with others not. I was out yesterday with 42 year old lady who I met at the local Geocaching Club, nothing sexual there, she's just a hoot to be around. I hear things like "My wife would have a HUGE problem if was out with another woman". Of course she would because you live in a closed Monogamous relationship which is about ownership, control and exclusivity. Once we feel secure in our relationships we can relate across the sexes without it being sexual. If we cant engage socially across the sexes then we have sexualised the relationship, so you see its the people on the outside, who have been brainwashed by social programming and monogamy, these are the same people who are obsessed with sex. As you may have heard me say before an Open relationship is about being OPEN. Transparent, honest, truthful, able to share ones fears and hear their partners.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think your absolutely correct. The birth control pill and the on going liberation of women has allowed them to shine, I'm a huge fan of the WLM. All I can say is its a huge turn for me being around sexual motivated women. Sadly due low self esteem and many other issues, many men a very intimidated by high;y sexual women, they say their not but it usually comes out in the bedroom where they are controlling.

Even as a voluntarily celibate person, I find sexually open people of both sexes often enough healthy and even liberating to be around. Provided, of course, they don't sexualize everything. But that's seldom if ever a problem with people who are casually open about their sexuality -- as opposed to obsessed with it. And those who are obsessed with it tend to be up tight about it in many ways, anyway.

On of the problems is the masses due to social programming have sexualised relationships. If we agree that men and women are different but have the same value and worth as a man, why do people place different judgements on male/male and male/female social interactions. What's the difference if I have lunch out with a male friend or a female friend. Once you create a difference you have sexualised the friendship. I have many female friends some Im sexual with others not. I was out yesterday with 42 year old lady who I met at the local Geocaching Club, nothing sexual there, she's just a hoot to be around. I hear things like "My wife would have a HUGE problem if was out with another woman. Of course she would because you live in a closed Monogamous relationship which is about ownership, control and exclusivity. Once we feel secure in our relationships we can relate across the sexes without it being sexual. If we cant engage socially across the sexes then we have sexualised the relationship, so you see its the people on the outside, who have been brainwashed by social programming and monogamy, these are the same people who are obsessed with sex. As you may have heard me say before an Open relationship is about being OPEN. Transparent, honest, truthful, able to share ones fears and hear their partners.

I'm personally in favor of open relationships -- at least for myself and any partner(s) I might someday have. But I can understand someone preferring monogamy for themselves if only because each partner you have represents a tremendous investment of time and effort. That is, if they mean much of anything at all to you. Not everyone wants to double or triple such an investment.

Having said that, I agree with you that so many monogamous relationships at least appear to be more about ownership and control than about, say, love and mutual fulfillment. Not all, I think, but so many of them. The "love" in those relationships tends to be indistinguishable from emotional co-dependency. There is comparatively little growth, and even less sense of renewal or rebirth. Which is unfortunate, I think, because one of the things love can do for us is to, in some significant sense, renew us, make us reborn.

As for friendships across the sexes, I think they enrich our lives. That's putting it mildly. A deep friendship with anyone -- male or female -- is the opening of a new world to us. Unless they are identical to us in every way.

Trackdayguy

Although this may sound a little bizarre I think that Hollywood is the biggest culprit when it comes to sexualixing relationships. So & so was seen out with so & so, they stir the **** and spread lies. I love Sir Antony Hopkins quote, "I love acting and HATE Hollywood.