• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freeganism

Messianic Israelite

So yesterday I was doing some shopping and someone stopped me in the street. They wanted to hand me a piece of literature. Having not much idea about what it was all about, I did ask him but he wasn’t very forthcoming. From what I could gather at the time was this individual, who happened to present well, was a Chr-stian, who didn’t follow any Ch-rch and was trying to promote his faith beliefs. I told him about my faith The Assemblies of Yahweh, but without knowing anything really to what he believed, wasn’t able to discuss the literature. He asked that in exchange for the piece of literature, which came in the form of a colourful, small booklet, I contribute something - I assumed for the literature. So I checked my wallet and realized I’d given the last of my change to a beggar earlier that day and told him I had no change on me. He suggested that perhaps I go to the shops and purchase something for him to eat, which I thought was peculiar since he did not look like a beggar. In any case, I agreed to do this. In returning, I gave him the food and discussed a bit more his beliefs. However, by the time I had actually read the booklet for myself, he had gone.

He was a Christian Freegan (see Freeganism). These people don’t follow any Ch-rch, but they claim to follow the Messiah. On page 2 of their booklet was a picture of a business man running towards the viewer, with 100 dollar bills floating behind him with the caption, ‘Quit your job forever!’. One quote said:

“We are a small group of friends who live together and share everything we own in a common purse. None of us works for money, and we do not accept unemployment benefits. We are scattered very loosely over five different continents. Our ideas come from J-sus, but we are generally hated by the institutional ch-rch for our radical beliefs and lifestyle…We definitely do NOT follow institutional ‘churchianity’.”

In summarizing the booklet, they don’t believe in working. They believe that work is a form of slavery. They believe in using their talents or abilities in helping each other, such as fixing a broken down car, or doing some electrical work, perhaps rewiring or something of that nature. They believe people should do what they enjoy doing, and that would make them work harder. The emphasis then would be being *helpful*. How would they get by without starving, or freezing to death? Well, like the guy that asked me for some food, I guess they think it’s OK to ask other people who actually work to pay for their things. I know that they have a problem with the Western countries wasting food, and have even identified themselves as the sort of people seen ‘bin raiding’ which is checking out the bins behind supermarkets for food. They often will hitch rides for free. I still have no idea how they pay for things like rent.

They justify this life through Matthew 6:26: “26 Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you of much more value than they?”

They also believe that a digital currency is coming, which is fair enough, as we do in my faith and that they would resist to death being microchipped so as not the Government to have control over them.

There’s more that I could say about them, but I’m sure you are able to do your own research. If I’d known this individual was of this belief, I would have been able to have a really stern conversation with him. I hope to see him again. But let’s consider this. Yahshua the Messiah had his disciples, and it appears for the 3 and ½ years of his ministry, they did not work. Before that time, they did work. Even Yahshua the Messiah was a carpenter by trade. The disciples left their occupations and followed Yahshua and this was one of the reasons why this group has this idea. However, this is the problem with rejecting the Law of Yahweh. You know, people go way off track when they simply reject the Law of Yahweh and Chr-stianity is guilty of rejecting the Law of Yahweh. This is why they are so many different sects. They take one thing from Yahshua and ignore the rest.

The Bible teaches us to work.

The scripture says: “8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shall you labor, and do all your work; 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath of Yahweh your Elohim: in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maid-servant, or your cattle, or the stranger that is within your gates: 11 for in six days Yahweh made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day: Therefore Yahweh blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.”

Six days we are commanded to work. The disciples of Yahshua did spend 3 and ½ years with Yahshua. They needed that to learn Yahshua, and to absorb his life and teachings which would be necessary for the strength of the apostolic assembly if it were to survive after Yahshua’s ascension. But after that period of time, the apostles no doubt engaged in some work to support themselves and support the Assemblies of Yahweh.

We are commanded to work for 6 days and rest on the seventh.

What does the New Testament say about work?

Ephesians 4:28: “28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labor, working with his hands the thing that is good, that he may have something to give to him that has need.”

And

2 Thessalonians 3:“10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, If any will not work, NEITHER LET HIM EAT. 11 For we hear of some that walk among you disorderly, that work not at all, but are busybodies. 12 Now them that are such we command and exhort in the Master Yahshua the Messiah, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.” (Emphasis mine)

These people are eating other people’s bread, and it doesn’t affect their conscience at all.

I’ll be honest. I do not like asking people for things. If I can do something myself, I will. I assume that’s because love is outgoing and giving, not receiving and it is more blessed to give than to receive but sometimes I wonder if I should ask more for what I need. Sometimes I take this to the extent of struggling to do something simply when I could have accepted help, but I know I can rely upon myself and not necessarily other people. I would never be able to be a freegan because it’s inconsiderate. They actually said in their booklet, “we get to play while they have to work”. Was Yahshua playing? He had a mission, and that mission was to show that we can keep the commandments of Yahweh perfectly, and how to keep the commandments and providing a way out for sinful mankind so they have a chance to make it to the Kingdom through his righteous blood. What are these freegans doing with their time?

When a worldwide social credit system is used, and we have a totally cashless society, then is when the Government will be able to decide who can work and who cannot, but until that time, we should be working while we can. We want to be able to help others, and that means helping ourselves by working for a living. I do lots of charitable work, and I wouldn’t be able to do this if I didn’t work.

People reject the Law of Yahweh and they take one or two things from the Bible but they do not harmonize the Bible from Genesis to Revelation and as a result they come up with the strangest of ideas. In my faith, we keep the Law of Yahweh. If I didn’t work, how would I be able to attend the Pilgrim Feasts of Leviticus 23. It would be impossible. I hope that groups like these aren’t able to sway you in to their way of thinking. Know the Bible and you’ll be able to distinguish between truth and error.

I was going to post the above, but actually an answer to my prayers, I saw the same individual today in the city centre, this time he was handing out what looked to be CD’s too. I approached him and said hi and he asked me if I’d be interested in what appeared to be a CD. I told him I wouldn’t and then went on to explain that I read his booklet and had a few issues with it. I started with and concentrated on the Exodus 20, where we find the 10 commandments, stating that we are commanded to work six days of the week and rest on the seventh. His argument to counter this was that Yahshua didn’t keep the Sabbath and that now in the New Testament era, every day is a Sabbath. So those of you who argue against the Sabbath Day can clearly see the damage that you’re doing to people. You’re basically saying we do not have to work. Well anyway, I told him, what do you mean Yahshua didn’t keep the Sabbath? He did keep the Sabbath and that can be shown in Luke 4 where he was in the Synagogues participating in Sabbath services, reading the scriptures. So he then said that Yahshua said that every day was a Sabbath. I said, Where do you find that in the Bible? I said, Yahshua said that the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath, but where do you find that every day is to be a Sabbath. I said Hebrews 4 clearly says there remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of Yahweh. So he said something about the scripture being not read in context and began to shuffle off but I wasn’t finished with him. I told him, Yahshua kept the Sabbath Day, so should we, and that means we have to work for six days. He said, Yahshua broke the Sabbath Day by healing on the Sabbath, and eating grain in the field. I said, he wasn’t breaking the Sabbath Day by doing any of those things. It’s acceptable to do good on the Sabbath Day. I said if Adam cut himself on the Sabbath Day really badly, would Yahweh let him bleed out, or would Eve? No, it’s acceptable to help out on the Sabbath Day, but we don’t throw the ox in the ditch in the Sabbath so we can take it out again on the Sabbath. I could tell he was getting agitated, and he tried then to suggest that Yahweh didn’t rest on the Sabbath Day and we don’t need to either. I said, Genesis 2 clearly says that Yahweh rested on the Sabbath Day, though He didn’t need to, being a Spirit being and not being limited by a mortal body. So he said, we don’t concentrate on the Sabbath Day, they are other more important teachings than the Sabbath Day. I can’t quite recall what I said in response to that, but it was I think something along the lines of, but your rejection of work directly correlates to rejection of the Sabbath Day. I told him about 2 Thessalonians 3 where it says those who don’t work (but can do so) shouldn’t eat, but at this point he was really wanting to avoid the conversation. He said that a friend was waiting for him, so we shook hands and I left.

For those of you who reject Yahweh’s Law, you reap what you sow. Galatians 6 says “7 Be not deceived; Elohim is not mocked: for whatever a man sows, that shall he also reap”. If you sow lawlessness, you’ll reap corruption. If you want to claim that Yahshua came to destroy the Law, despite Matthew 5 telling us this was not his mission, then you’re going to be in confusion. These people are going to be suffering for no reason whatsoever except they have rejected Yahweh’s Laws. So if they want to scrummage around for food, and beg people that actually work for money, when the Scriptures admonish us to work, let them, but understand that they’re not doing Yahweh’s will and they’re not pleasing Yahweh. I was stern but respectful. I didn’t shout. I didn’t show him up because they were people around, this being in the city centre, but because I cared for him, I wanted to show him that what he was doing was unnecessary and wrong. I don’t think I got through, nonetheless, perhaps I have given him some things to think about. His friend that was waiting for him didn’t even try to get involved in this conversation. I just hope that when people on RF start attacking the need to keeping the Law, you consider all the ramifications that this brings. Rejection of Yahweh’s Law is never the answer.

Messianic Israelite

God save us from the vapid verbosity of the vowel-averse.
Hi Jayhawker Soule. Good to hear from you. The Hebrew words 'kahal' and 'edah', and the Greek word 'ekklesia' mean exactly the same thing. They mean an assembly, congregation, meeting, community of believers. Israel in the Old Testament was the kahal Yahweh (Deut. 23:1-3), just as the Messianic assembly of the New Testament is the ekklesia of Yahweh. You may check these facts in the Strong's or Young's Concordances or any good lexicon at your disposal.

Let's now look at the word ch-rch. The Webster's New World Dictionary (as does practically every other reputable dictionary) lists the roots of the word in the following way: [ME. chirche, kirke < OE. cirice (& ON. kirkja < OE.) Gme. *kirika < LGr.(Ec.) *kyrike < Gr. kyriake (oikia), Lord's (house) < kyriakos, belonging to the Lord < kyrious, ruler < kyros, supreme power < IE. base *kewe-, to swell, be strong, hero]. Immediately we are forced to admit to the fact that this word has nothing to do with a meeting, assembly, or congregation of believers, but rather it emphasizes the house OVER the occupants, who are worshippers. While the Hebrew and Greek words mean a congregation of people, the word church traces its roots to the building. Strangely, many organisations in nominal Chr-stianity place great emphasis in their cathedral-like edifices and little on membership.

The following is a quote from the Companion Bible, Appendix 186, p. 207. "Church is derived from the Greek kyriakos, of or belonging to the Lord, house (Greek oikos) being understood. It comes to us through Anglo Saxon circe (Scotch kirk). Compare Hebrew kikkar, a circuit or disk" Here we arrive at yet another choice morsel of knowledge! If the Hebrew word kikkar (a circle or disk) is the ultimate root or a word with identical meaning, then the word church traces directly to sun worship.

You can read more on this subject in page 162 in the book The Two Babylons.

Therefore, by its very root association with sun worship the word church is disqualified for use in True Worship hence the hyphen. Any words we choose not to use are hyphenated.

I hope you noticed the reference to the word circe, as a root word for ch-rch. It came through the Anglo-Saxon into English but can be traced ultimately to Greek mythology. In the Odyssey, Circe was a g-ddess who lived on Aeaean Island. She was the daughter of the sun by Perse, who was the daughter of Oceanus. Circe's house was in the middle of a dense forest of trees.

If we reject the term "church" as being a most inferior translation of the Hebrew and Greek words meaning assembly or congregation and substitute the correct translation when talking of worldly religious organizations it emerges amusedly as the Assembly or Congregation of Luther, Wesley, or Menno Simon. Certainly they are admittedly organisations of men. The term Assemblies of Yahweh is used 12 times in the New Testament. In the Greek the word theos is a word comparable to the Hebrew Elohim. But we should ask ourselves, "Who is Elohim?". Psalm 100:3 lends further impetus, "Know you that Yahweh He is Elohim". At various places in the Torah, Israel is called the congregation or Assembly of Yahweh (for instance Deut. 23:1-3) so this is where the New Testament term actually originated.