• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom to speak without offence, but why do some words carry an offensive meaning?

Crystallas

Why is sh*t a bad word?

Its the same as poop, crap, duke, dump...ect.
I say it around kids, its not like other swear words with "imaginary bad meanings"

This has got to be one of the older brainwashings of language in America.

Something as simple as this has no simple answer, otherwise I could then go to a preschool and tell the kids "Hi my names Joe Blow, and Im here for show and tell, before we start, I need to take a big sh*t."
Bad timing, yes? but still nothing wrong, its a truthful statement, and not everyone feels like they need to say "bathroom" or something more vague.
Or why cant someone go to a library and say "Oh sh*t, I forgot the name of the book."
Now my question wasnt, could there be a better way to say it, my question was... should it be wrong?

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Profanity is a word choice or usage which many consider to be offensive.

The original meaning of the term was restricted to blasphemy, sacrilige or taking
God's name in vain

As far as I am concerned, **** isn't a swear word.However, there are some
that do find it gutter talk, so I do not speak that word or the f word to them
out of respect.

****e itself isn't really cursing, but some of the prefix's and added words make it sound offensive.

I will list some of these:

BEFORE
Dip, Bull (can offend a person's statement or beliefs by calling it this), eat,

AFTER
Head, for brains, kicker, tosser,

As you can see, this is why some find it offensive in an insulting term.

Singular can be also bad, as it is used for a derrogatory term. For example-You are

stonestew

Crystallas said:
Why is sh*t a bad word?

Its the same as poop, crap, duke, dump...ect.
I say it around kids, its not like other swear words with "imaginary bad meanings"

This has got to be one of the older brainwashings of language in America.

Something as simple as this has no simple answer, otherwise I could then go to a preschool and tell the kids "Hi my names Joe Blow, and Im here for show and tell, before we start, I need to take a big sh*t."
Bad timing, yes? but still nothing wrong, its a truthful statement, and not everyone feels like they need to say "bathroom" or something more vague.
Or why cant someone go to a library and say "Oh sh*t, I forgot the name of the book."
Now my question wasnt, could there be a better way to say it, my question was... should it be wrong?
Its not.Who said any word is bad ?

Temporarily Deactive.
Words themselves are not offensive, but the intent meant or the expression they are used in can be. :)

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Historically, words like sh*t, the 'c' word and the 'f' word are offensive in English more because of their origin than what they refer to. Originally they were all perfectly normal, but Saxon, words used to talk of biology. After the Normans invaded Britain, French became educated and Anglo-Saxon vulgar. Over time the 'vulgar' words used to describe 'vulgar' ideas then became considered swear words. In other words, there's no good reason not to use them, although it's best to avoid using them around those who might be offended by them. That's just common courtesy.

James

Temporarily Deactive.
IacobPersul said:
Historically, words like sh*t, the 'c' word and the 'f' word are offensive in English more because of their origin than what they refer to.
Agreed, but unfortunatly, kids and teens (who cuss the most) don't know the origins and say it as they have learnt it ;)

Pah

Uber all member
Crystallas said:
It it less a question of right or wrong but of a projection of image that leads to social advantage. Aspirations of better employment and social acceptance can be dashed by normative vulgar language and behavior. Common individual language is a result of intertwined education and association.

There is a modern recognition that language can be divided into informal and formal expression in the teaching of it. Both grammer and vocabulary are affections of a degree of acceptance. The formal side of a person's language effect better jobs and greater accetance for the individual's thoughts and ideas. Informal language is the "comfortable" exchange between asscoaites,friends and family.

What you say boils down to a choice of how you want to be seen.

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
All my views have already been expressed here, but I just want to add...there have been many REALLY good points in this thread, and I even learned some stuff.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Renaldo said:
Agreed, but unfortunatly, kids and teens (who cuss the most) don't know the origins and say it as they have learnt it ;)
From whom ? - their parents. I am horrified when I watch programs dealing with awkward toddlers with whom the parents are loosing any form of control. The programs usely leave Mum and Dad being videoed on a semi permanent basis (for the duration of the help they are receiving from a councillor or psychologist). The number of times I have heard the parents, at their wit's end, hurling a mixture of 'lavatorial' language (as they used to call it when I was young), interspersed with biological descriptions of various parts of the anatomy, with a smattering of profanity, for good measure.

I must admit to the occasional use of lavatorial lingo in our household, by all of us, but the F and C words have probably only ever been said once or twice, before and since the children were born. As soon as the children were old enough to pick these words up from peers at school, they were firmly taught not to use the words in the house. I didn't want them to be targetted by their friends as snobs or prudes, so they were told that if they felt they had to use the words to fit in, then do so.

As adults, I hardly ever hear them use the F or c word - although I am well aware that they probably do so with their friends, to 'fit in'. I do not use the words, regardless of the company in which I am in; I know that the words offend the rather elderly neighbours, and if the younger people find me strange for not using vulgarity, well, that's their problem!:)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Renaldo said:
My point exactly.

From parents who were the same at their kid's ages:149:
Sorry, Renaldo -I don't get it.
I meant that I thought that our children should not feel bound to make themselves outcasts with their peers by refusing to use what is now seen as the 'universal language'. As they matured, they had the choice - and they seem to have chosen not to use those words, and to ignore the use of them by others.:)

Temporarily Deactive.
michel said:
I meant that I thought that our children should not feel bound to make themselves outcasts with their peers by refusing to use what is now seen as the 'universal language'.
Yes, I know. I agree entirely, despite my "looking like" I wasn't agreeing :) Just had to say my piece :)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
What Pah said ... I think . ;)

It is not so much a matter of swearing as it is considered very base and in bad taste . Using silly little baby word like poo poo doesn't make any sense to me at all though ...

Temporarily Deactive.
kreeden said:
. Using silly little baby word like poo poo doesn't make any sense to me at all though ...
I suppose it's better than saying "Oi go take a crap, kid!"

Kreeden kicks a$s,

Crystallas

Yes, very good points in this thread.

So then shouldn't it be legal to use the specific word "sh*t" publically? I dont think its illegal, but a lot of places have it blocked or banned. Even RF has it censored.

Fluffy

A fool
Firstly, having been punished many a time by people in a position of power over me for saying words that THEY consider offensive even though I meant no offense in saying them, I am strongly for desensitising what I see as irrational connections which society gives to certain words.

Sexual/Obscene language
Censorship is breaking one of the most fundamental rights that a human can have, that of free speech. It is self fuelling (by that I mean a child who is coddled until he is older from certain things in the world will then go on to do the same because when he does come into contact with these things he will view them as unusual and therefore wrong. An example of this might be the stereotypical embarassment that a parent suffers when explaining to their child about sex), and therefore completely pointless. It leads to oppression and tyranny because it gives a large amount of power to those in power.

Racist/Intolerant language
I view political correctness as an essential part of society TO A CERTAIN DEGREE. However, I think that for offense to happen, it does not require 2 parties to be involved which is what most political correctness is aimed at limiting. If I use the word "******" when discussing the forms of abuses which blacks suffered in America during their fight for equality, an somebody listening to me is offended then that is their problem not mine. In this scenario offense was taken but not given. I should not have to sugar coat my words for anothers benefit. However, if I INTEND offense then it is an entirely different story.

As adults, I hardly ever hear them use the F or c word - although I am well aware that they probably do so with their friends, to 'fit in'. I do not use the words, regardless of the company in which I am in; I know that the words offend the rather elderly neighbours, and if the younger people find me strange for not using vulgarity, well, that's their problem!:)
I don't swear to "fit in". I swear because it is perfectly normal to use vocabulary that you hear in casual conversation. What am I trying to do when I communicate with somebody else? Swearing is only going to devalue my words if the person I am speaking to has a problem with it. As soon as somebody produces a wonderfully logical arguement showing me the inherent mental/physical harm that swear words produce in anyone who hears them then I promise I will be the first to denounce them as the spawn of Satan (okay maybe not quite that far but I'll definitely change my view dramatically).

Crystallas

Fluffy said:
I don't swear to "fit in". I swear because it is perfectly normal to use vocabulary that you hear in casual conversation. What am I trying to do when I communicate with somebody else? Swearing is only going to devalue my words if the person I am speaking to has a problem with it. As soon as somebody produces a wonderfully logical arguement showing me the inherent mental/physical harm that swear words produce in anyone who hears them then I promise I will be the first to denounce them as the spawn of Satan (okay maybe not quite that far but I'll definitely change my view dramatically).
Wham bam thank you ma'am!(even though your not a ma'am :) )
frubals, exactly how I feel.. I just couldnt have said it any better.