• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Freecycle"

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
It suddenly occurred to me that (as far as I can make out), the US doesn't seem to have what is gaining popularity here, in the U.K. - "freecycle" -basically, a means of recycling what would often end up on a landfill site.

I believe that this is an excellent "green" opportunity to be used wherever possible.

From the site itself, there is only mention of France, U.K and Germany. The site is:- http://www.freecycle.org/

and this is a brief overview of what it is:-
The Freecycle Network™ is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by clicking on the region on the left. You may then go directly to your local group by clicking on "Go To" or you may immediately joining by clicking on "Join." It will generate an automatic e-mail which, when sent, will sign you up for the local group and send you a response with instructions on how it works. Can't find a group near you? You might want to consider starting one (click on "Start a Group" for instructions). Have fun!

Do you have a similar scheme in the U.S? - If not, why don't you start one up?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Freecycle's actually gotten pretty big here (in the U.S.)Michel.

I'm a member of the Santa Cruz and San Lorenzo Valley chapters here in central california.

One of the first things I do in the morning is check my email to see what's being offered/asked for.

We've also got Craigslist which has a "Free Stuff" index.

It's better to give than recieve but getting to have it both ways is the bomb!

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I left my local freecycle group because it was ridiculous. Nothing was being offered while everyone kept asking for extremely expensive things (cars, applications, HOUSES) and free animals- and they would scream at me when I told them about the local shelters because "they were too expensive." IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO ADOPT IT, YOU CANT AFFORD TO TAKE CARE OF IT. >:{

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
jamaesi said:
I left my local freecycle group because it was ridiculous. Nothing was being offered while everyone kept asking for extremely expensive things (cars, applications, HOUSES) and free animals- and they would scream at me when I told them about the local shelters because "they were too expensive." IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO ADOPT IT, YOU CANT AFFORD TO TAKE CARE OF IT. >:{

LOL! Sorry to hear that Jamaesi. We get a few people like that on our site but I think most of us just see them as comic relief.

It's funny to read through ads like "Offer:Free Moving Boxes" or "Taken: Old bicycle parts" and see something like "Wanted: Newer laptop with wireless, must be Dell".

Gotta give people points for optimism I guess.