• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Tibet

The American Conservative -- Radical Chic; Why Liberals Love Tibet by Brendan O'Neil (Brendan O'Neill is a London based journalist and editor of the website Spiked Online. His articles have appeared in journals such as the Spectator, the New Statesman, The Guardian, BBC News Online, and the Christian Science Monitor.)

I stopped reading when I saw the website banner, which reveals all about the author's personal prejudices, more than it does about Tibet. Searching the other articles, I couldn't find anything but far-right screeds which do nothing but criticize liberals and "neo-cons" (a code word that its founder, Pat Buchanan and his ilk use for Jews). Sorry, but the "American Conservative" is not a reliable source.

Here is an article that refutes everything that O'Neil rights: High Peaks Pure Earth: Why Armchair Revolutionaries Hate Tibet

Do some research yourself instead of posting government-approved propaganda for 5 cents an hour. You'd be surprised what you'll learn.

Hyperborean

Cultural Conservative
The article you present says: "Armchair revolutionaries like O’Neill hate the Tibetans because we do not speak their language. We do not carry placards with faces they know, like Che Guevara....Our leaders speak in a language they do not understand, we do not espouse textbook revolutionary speak, and bow down to figures like Marx, Engels and others god like figures that are familiar to them. Therefore, we are alien."

Then why do you call yourself a "revolutionary" and frame your original post in Marxist, anti-capitalist language? and I quote:

The Olympics are over but the struggle of the Tibetan people and its working class against the Chinese Imperialists and the Chinese KKKapitalist Party (no, I will not call it "communist") is still ongoing.... The Tibetan people are bravely struggling for...the right to control their own means of production

From the article, this is a lie:
Today, China has discarded its heritage and become a master at emulating all things that represent the west, from learning to play the piano or wearing suits. At a simple level, look at the mode of dress, no Chinese would be seen dead in anything resembling tradtional Chinese attire, which to them indicates “backwardness”.
It was true 40 years ago, but not true today. Confucianism is making a comeback in schools across China. Chinese traditional music, opera, and literature have become new pursuits among the well-educated, and even among young people. Many Chinese wear western-style clothing out of convenience these days, but we also choose to wear traditional clothing on occasion. The assertion that Chinese somehow hate their own traditions is the author's own opinion, and far from factual.

However, at least this author, in his fanatical ranting, accidentally lets out a bit of truth which is occasionally denied by the Free Tibeters:

why did the Western Governments not recognise the independence of Mongolia and Tibet?..Similarly, when Tibet declared independence in 1911 it did not have the support of the British nor of other Western powers
Which contradicts the claim that Tibet was "always recognized" as an independent nation by other nations, and also implies that the Chinese claims on Tibet pre-date the supposed "invasion" in 1951!

JewishLeftist said:
Do some research yourself instead of posting government-approved propaganda for 5 cents an hour.
Charlie Reese and Brendan O'Neill have nothing to do with the Chinese government. That is why they are called third-party sources.

Last edited:
Charlie Reese and Brendan O'Neill have nothing to do with the Chinese government. That is why they are called third-party sources.
True they might not be affiliated with the Chinese government directly, but the points they make lead to conclusions that the Chinese government would approve of and are thus not exactly valid in this argument. I mean, even aside from being from sources which are considered far-right and fringe in the US.

I am not going to bother refuting your other points as they are non-nonsencical strawmen. You are blinded by nationalism and racial loyalty and brainwashed by propaganda and there's no use in argueing with you.

Goodbye.