• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the simpleton haha

King Phenomenon

Let me ask this here since no one could simply answer my last post. Haha

As you know I believe there exists a man living today who when dies causes all of existence to end and then they're reborn along with a new world and existence. And this goes on infinitely. A repeating cycle if you will.

So my question to you is; is this unlikely, likely or most likely?

Last edited:

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
Expectations: likely
Hopes: unlikely

Question: Are you proposing the 'Truman Show' version of the simulation argument? In which one individual is the patient/subject and all the rest of us are simulated.
Answer: If this is your proposal, I suppose I would prefer to be a program or simulation, in the possibility that this accurately describes our reality, as I feel a necessity to believe that the rest of you truly exist for my own peace of mind.

Edit: changed "Beliefs:" to the current "Expectations:"

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
Nothing really dies. Death is an illusion.
If the elements that make up the entity I consider 'self' are only going to be in this structured form for such a diminutive period of time relative to the duration that they and the universe exist within...

Are we certain as to what should be defined as 'alive'? Which is the illusion, this tiny glimpse of existence, or the time spent in a dust cloud swirling into a newly formed star system?

That which I am made up has experienced both, so I've been led to believe. If you claiming there is no contrast or differentiating between the many forms the many atoms representing my composition will experience, I would be hard pressed to agree with such a sentiment.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

As you know I believe there exists a man living today who when dies causes all of existence to end and then they're reborn along with a new world and existence. And this goes on infinitely. A repeating cycle if you will.

Yep. Same as this life. Forever and ever .

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Welcome to believe whatever you believe. I have problems with 'reborn'. Everyone is reborn only in the chemical sense (after the disintegration of the body), and this goes on for ever. A repeating cycle if you will.
Yep. Same as this life. Forever and ever.
That goes against Buddha's views.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Why a man and not a woman?

And to answer the question - very unlikely. What would be the consequences of believing this - useful, irrelevant, or whatever? What would one have to discard - scientific evidence for example - if one was to believe this?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
As you know I believe there exists a man living today who when dies causes all of existence to end and then they're reborn along with a new world and existence.
On the one hand I recognize the divine qualities in everyone; yet as far as I understand, everything revolves around the Universal Central Processor (CPU/God), not around just one being - else it makes the end of realty egocentric, rather than universal.

In my opinion.
:innocent:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I suppose anything is possible. I can't say whether it's likely or unlikely. All I really know is what I think, feel, see, and perceive about my reality at this moment. I deal with the reality as it's presented to me. On a practical, functional level, I have to operate under the assumption that there is nothing else beyond that.

However, during idle moments, it might be interesting to speculate on the possibilities of what could be. If there's a man living today whose death would cause all existence to end, if we're assuming I'm not that man, then I would just be some kind of NPC. Under such circumstances, it doesn't appear that I would even be aware of the sudden end of existence or rebirth into a new world.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From which you inferred that you are dealing with simpletons?

Folks prove capable of all manny of baseless beliefs.

Just out of curiosity, how might a rational person determine likelihood?

The Crimson Universe

Are we certain as to what should be defined as 'alive'? Which is the illusion, this tiny glimpse of existence, or the time spent in a dust cloud swirling into a newly formed star system?

In my opinion, both are.

Our time here on Earth as separate unique individuals ... and the swirling clouds of gas and dust present in the cosmos are both transient in nature. Their creation and destruction is a never ending repetitive process.

Since this phenomenal world is constantly changing, it is not accepted as the Ultimate Reality and instead considered illusory by the followers of the Advaita school, to which I belong.

By illusion I dont mean to say that the reality that we are all familiar with is completely false.
By illusion I simply mean that our vision of the world is not complete and that there’s more to reality than we superficially see.

That which I am made up has experienced both, so I've been led to believe. If you claiming there is no contrast or differentiating between the many forms the many atoms representing my composition will experience, I would be hard pressed to agree with such a sentiment.

I believe that I was never really "made up" by the atoms or elements.

The atoms and elements that are responsible for the multitude of forms (with all its distinctions and uniqueness) have instead emanated from me (The real infinite me) and rests "within" my infinite Self.
Ofcourse I have no way to prove this yet but this is what the enlightened masters wants us to believe. :=)

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
In my opinion, both are.

Our time here on Earth as separate unique individuals ... and the swirling clouds of gas and dust present in the cosmos are both transient in nature. Their creation and destruction is a never ending repetitive process.

Since this phenomenal world is constantly changing, it is not accepted as the Ultimate Reality and instead considered illusory by the followers of the Advaita school, to which I belong.

By illusion I dont mean to say that the reality that we are all familiar with is completely false.
By illusion I simply mean that our vision of the world is not complete and that there’s more to reality than we superficially see.

I believe that I was never really "made up" by the atoms or elements.

The atoms and elements that are responsible for the multitude of forms (with all its distinctions and uniqueness) have instead emanated from me (The real infinite me) and rests "within" my infinite Self.
Ofcourse I have no way to prove this yet but this is what the enlightened masters wants us to believe. :=)
So, in this teaching, we are a wellspring of matter constantly being created? Of course, likewise constantly in the process of 'destruction' or, more accurately, diffusion.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I was treating unlikely as <49%. Likely as >51%. Most likely as >90%... Call me presumptuous. :)
As you wish. My question, however, is this: what is a reasonable rational for arriving at any of the above determinations? The OP presents what is little more than an unintended (and perhaps goofy) Rorschach test.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
As you wish. My question, however, is this: what is a reasonable rational for arriving at any of the above determinations? The OP presents what is little more than an unintended (and perhaps goofy) Rorschach test.
My rationale for these numbers were (admittedly flawed) as follows: If it occurs less than half of the time, it is unlikely. If it occurs more than half of the time, it is likely. 9 out of 10 occurrences is the most likely scenario. Super simplistic statistics. >33% and <66% and leaving the 90% could be a more agreeable ratio to some.

Edit: However, what would we call the 34%-65% range? Perhaps that should be 'unlikely' and add a fourth tier, calling it "Most unlikely"?

gnomon

It doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
[ good grief ]
:shrug: You're the one who asked. No need to be rude or whatever was meant by this.

I was simply trying to be honest and informative of my subjective experience regarding your inquiry. Perhaps my simplistic system of rationale is irrational to you. If you must, you can call me a simpleton. ;)