• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the abrahamics who agree with this statement...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Aqualung said:
"If you don't know the law, you're not sinning." This is something that pretty much means that if you don't know that it's a sin to eat a certain food, and you eat it, you're not sinning. You're just transgressing.

What if you do something that you feel guilty about doing but it's not a sin? Like let's say, I for some reason have the thought that doing such-and-such an activity is a sin (even though in reality it's not) and I do it anyway. Would I be sinning?
I can't think of an example, but I know exactly what you are talking about. To me, it is a sin (but that is something I apply to myself only).

joeboonda

5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

5:16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

(King James Bible, Romans)

From these verses, and others, the Bible teaches that by one man, Adam, sin and thereby death, was passed down to all men. This is why Christ was born of a woman, and not a woman and a man, or he would have inherited Adam's sin. Every person born into this world was born with a sinful nature, although children are all welcome into Heaven, as Jesus said the kindom of Heaven is made up of such, once they reach an age of accountability, where they hear and understand the gospel, they are no longer 'exempt'. The whole argument in Romans is that Adam sinned and passed this 'disease' on to all mankind. ALL have sinned the Bible says, there is none righteous, no not one. This is why Jesus had to die, to pay for our sins, and why it says those who believe have eternal life and those who don't are condemned already. We all need His blood to pay for our sins.

wmam

Druidus said:
Apparently, "Original Sin". Look here:

Original Sin

Though, I don't really understand why Original Sin would apply to me. Did not God say that the sins of the father are seperate from the sins of the son? That sin does not travel along family lines? (Meaning that a son cannot be punished for the sins of his father/ancestors.)
First Frubals to you for a great answer........

I think that we need to read in what context that was said there what you stated as I remember also that there are other places that it is stated that the children and the childrens, children will suffer. ;)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I believe we are judged based on what we have been taught our whole lives. If someone were raised to believe stealing was ok and never taught differently, how can G-d then comdemn them?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Aqualung said:
Because, at least for some things, their concience will tell them differently.
if you are told your whole like that murdering someone is not only ok, but justified, what concience will speak up? How many Hamas suicide bombers' concience told them that what they were doing was wrong?

i do not blame these poor destitute individuals who have been brainwashed...i blame those who control them and teach them to hate.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Aqualung said:
Because, at least for some things, their concience will tell them differently.
Hi, I am not sure if your comment was in answer to Jewscout;
If someone were raised to believe stealing was ok and never taught differently, how can G-d then comdemn them?
How could his conscience tell him otherwise ? - is not his conscience something his parents and society have taught him ? (in as, what is right or wrong)

wmam

Are we speaking in like terms of what we as humans think or are we searching the scriptures for the answer? Because I for one do not believe that it is up for debate if we are speaking of what Scriptures state on the subject. (that being said I am sure someone would debate it) I believe that the Scripture states that sin is sin whether you know it or not. Kinda like "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

joeboonda

Romans teaches that God gave every man a conscience, His laws written in our heart. This is from God, not our environment. The Bible teaches too that where there is no Law there is no sin. For example, Abraham married Sarah who was his half-sister. Adam and Eve begat sons and daughters who would have had to marry each other to 'be fruitful and multiply'. The Law for this was not made until the time of Moses. Also, one will be held accountable for the light given them. For example, one who has never heard of Christ will not be judged for not accepting Him. He will, however be judged on sins committed, adultery, murder, stealing, lying, dis-honoring parents, etc. Was the person sorry and trying to live as righteously as they knew how, or did they just live in gross wickedness and wrong-doing? God is a fair judge, we can be sure He will do the right thing. But, we must spread the Good News of the free gift of salvation by faith in Jesus Christ who paid for our sins, if we are really concerned about other folks.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Surely you know right from wrong. You cannot deny it.

A child has to learn, grow, mature over time, but children become adults at some point.

I do believe that there are human animals out there. Beings with human genetics that are controlled by selfishness to such a degree that their conscience has faded away completely. It cannot force anyone to follow it, you must choose to.

nothead

"If you don't know the law, you're not sinning." This is something that pretty much means that if you don't know that it's a sin to eat a certain food, and you eat it, you're not sinning. You're just transgressing.

What if you do something that you feel guilty about doing but it's not a sin? Like let's say, I for some reason have the thought that doing such-and-such an activity is a sin (even though in reality it's not) and I do it anyway. Would I be sinning?

Is a Christian Abrahamic allowed here?

nothead

Nevermind, I just saw how old this thread is...:p