• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For all who wonder

Orias

Left Hand Path
He doesn't genuinely do that. I like to go back and read the "Seven Deadly Sins" every now and then.

But other than that basically what you're saying is you don't like how he apparently contradicts you, or something else which I'm not sure.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I can't decide if LaVeyans are really anything like what LaVey was trying to do. They seem like immature and unloved goth kids who took things to the next level. I hate generalizing, but how many people stay LaVeyans past Freshmen year of college?

Orias

Left Hand Path
Thats basically why I said he was for starters. Or at least people genuinely interested in Satanism. I guess he fits the position given by those who seek to obtain a trivial understanding of Satanism though.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I can't decide if LaVeyans are really anything like what LaVey was trying to do.

I'm kind of the fence about this specifically.

Thats also why I said he was talking to Satanists and not "LaVeyans". And generalizing is healthy thing, stereotypes do exist for a reason. But smart fish know how to bite the bait and not the hook.

ScottySatan

He wasn't a crime scene photographer, something about his organists conquests

I hear this a lot, but the main source of this is an angry rival. You're right, it doesn't matter. If the man was 100% phoney it doesn't invalidate anything. Jokes have unleashed important things before.

Good point about reading in-between the lines. His Bible is vague. And I know that reading between the lines is the thing to do, but my mind doesn't work that way. I'm not convinced that anything I draw out isn't entirely my own invention. Even if the intention was for the reader to make his own invention between the lines, it's not satisfying to me at all. Too gain the confidence that I'm not over-interpereting something. That's my goal. It doesn't help that I so often catch people "reading between the lines" and they're completely full of ****.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Reading between the lines doesn't necessarily equate to being original though, just picking up on intuitive clues that he intentionally left behind.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I never understood the appeal. If your gonna follow a clearly man made religion. Why.not make your own

ScottySatan

Reading between the lines doesn't necessarily equate to being original though, just picking up on intuitive clues that he intentionally left behind.

Exactly. That's part of what I was trying to say. How do you know what's original and what was intuitive clue? I find this really easy in theory but extremely difficult in practice. I know it's not trivial because I see a lot of people **** this up.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I never understood the appeal. If your gonna follow a clearly man made religion. Why.not make your own

Thats a mistake most people make, I don't follow anything :no:

Exactly. That's part of what I was trying to say. How do you know what's original and what was intuitive clue? I find this really easy in theory but extremely difficult in practice. I know it's not trivial because I see a lot of people **** this up.

Original matter has little to do with the way we apply intuitive thought to ourselves.

An intuitive clue is just that, if you question its originality its probably not that, but in the end its irrelevant because its not about how others perceive it but how you, the individual does.

Though basically, an intuitive man knows how to leave intuitive clues. If you question the statement at hand, your intuitive senses might be tingling.

jasonwill2

I never thought you were.

I wasn't much of a fan of LaVey's work either.

What is the definition of a satanist (in general)

I don't think we will ever know, but Diane Vera's definition of Satanism is really good:

For purposes of this website, a "Satanist" is anyone whose worldview features a favorable interpretation of Satan.
But I would probably add that as well they use him as either somethign literal or symbolic for their religion in a favorable way to clear up some misunderstandings about a random atheist who thinks that Satan sounds better than Yahweh in the Bible but doesn't ever do anything with Satan in terms of philosophy.

What did he lie about?

Working for a carnival, working for the SF police department, sleeping with Marylin Monroe as 3 examples. There are no records of a lot of his claims, and those listed are some of the ones recognized to be unsupported by the neutral sources.

edit: also he lied about the Enochian keys and that muslim sect, or at least misunderstood both seriously. He also seems to imply that originally enochian keys praised satan. he was also terrible at latin AND enochian. And as a side note I think he missed some of the finer points of Christianity, and just understood the basic image and ideas of it, not the actual details. He also got a lot wrong about Buddhism too. All that in the Satanic Bible at that.

Last edited:

Informare

Setian I°
Working for a carnival, working for the SF police department, sleeping with Marylin Monroe as 3 examples. There are no records of a lot of his claims, and those listed are some of the ones recognized to be unsupported by the neutral sources.

edit: also he lied about the Enochian keys and that muslim sect, or at least misunderstood both seriously. He also seems to imply that originally enochian keys praised satan. he was also terrible at latin AND enochian. And as a side note I think he missed some of the finer points of Christianity, and just understood the basic image and ideas of it, not the actual details. He also got a lot wrong about Buddhism too. All that in the Satanic Bible at that.

If you can get ahold of a copy (or it might be on scribd, i don't know) Dr. Stephen Flower's Lords of the Left-Hand Path has a great breakdown on LaVey's claims about himself.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
To me Anton LaVey created a pretty cool gateway religion for beginner LHPathers. The tongue-in-cheeck writings of the "Books of Lucifer and Belial" in his "Satanic Bible" aside, the "Book of Leviathan" was actually quite interesting to me as a beginner Satanist. The rituals and his Satanic interpretation of the Enochian Keys were quite inspiring to me as a young fledgling magician just crossing the threshold of the Left-Hand Path. So here I will give the Devil his do.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
I don't think we will ever know, but Diane Vera's definition of Satanism is really good:

Meh :shrug:

But I would probably add that as well they use him as either somethign literal or symbolic for their religion in a favorable way to clear up some misunderstandings about a random atheist who thinks that Satan sounds better than Yahweh in the Bible but doesn't ever do anything with Satan in terms of philosophy.

Beginners.

He did say he was a liar, but the Enochian keys and Muslims sects are actually fairly accurate, it what mostly just something designed to get people interested.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
To me Anton LaVey created a pretty cool gateway religion for beginner LHPathers. The tongue-in-cheeck writings of the "Books of Lucifer and Belial" in his "Satanic Bible" aside, the "Book of Leviathan" was actually quite interesting to me as a beginner Satanist. The rituals and his Satanic interpretation of the Enochian Keys were quite inspiring to me as a young fledgling magician just crossing the threshold of the Left-Hand Path. So here I will give the Devil his do.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

I second that sentiment. I was an avid occult reader since around age twelve or so, and my largest problems with The Satanic Bible were from the problem of the sloppiness of the rituals. I had a great deal of understanding about Hebrew, Enochian, and even Crowley's material and the included rituals seemed of low quality and nonsensical... despite the fact the rest of the book was amazing to me. Diane Vera obviously noticed these problems as well. The core philosophy spoke to me greatly and launched my further down the path, but the organization he left in his wake is a joke and reflects nothing of the gem that TSB was.

I would agree that most people give up LaVey-inspired Satanism as soon as they get to a wife and kids because it's mostly a fashion show these days. Once you're too old to hang out with the scene kids there is no one to impress. Theistic Satanists are private typically, so we don't care about impressing anyone but ourselves.