• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Folk Horror Genre

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
For fans of the found-footage genre, Noroi: The Curse is a really good J-horror movie that skillfully blends folk horror with the found-footage format. Not as good as the likes of Dark Water and Ju-On: The Grudge but still a good watch nonetheless.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Another book with all of the occult stuff (but again more in the ia ia Cthulhu fhtagn way more than Satanic) that everybody raves about is Laird Baron's "The Croning," but I found it a hard read (it just wasn't written in my particular style). Still, that many people must love it for a reason.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This was back in the day but The Boggy Creek Monster was a huge hit at the time, based off allegedly true accounts.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I've just finished watching Impetigore. I found it phenomenal. To think that Joko Anwar directed both that one and The Queen of Black Magic, another great horror movie that also released last year, is incredible.

I think Impetigore is the better of the two, though. Highly recommended!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Watched the Wailing! Stellar!

I just saw this! How did you like it at the end in specific? I personally
absolutely love how captivating it was and the fact that it leaves the viewer to guess who the hero and the villain were.

Edit: Also, @Meow Mix has yet to watch it, and I've been spamming her with recommendation of it. Would you like to add your own endorsement as well to get her into the Wailing squad? :p

Watching the Wailing. It's pretty darned awesome so far.

Last year, I recommended it to a guy who wasn't even into horror. His reaction was similar to yours when he was done watching. It really is an extraordinarily good movie.

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
I just saw this! How did you like it at the end in specific? I personally
absolutely love how captivating it was and the fact that it leaves the viewer to guess who the hero and the villain were.

Edit: Also, @Meow Mix has yet to watch it, and I've been spamming her with recommendation of it. Would you like to add your own endorsement as well to get her into the Wailing squad? :p

Last year, I recommended it to a guy who wasn't even into horror. His reaction was similar to yours when he was done watching. It really is an extraordinarily good movie.
I loved the twist. Everyone sympathizes with the wrong character until it's too late. :D

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I loved the twist. Everyone sympathizes with the wrong character until it's too late. :D

I'm actually still unsure who the "wrong character" was. In my opinion, this is a core aspect of the plot's brilliance: it has two possible interpretations that are both diametrically opposed.

There was a theory I read a while back that the Japanese man was a good shaman who performed rituals on the dead to prevent them from getting possessed. However, when he himself died, there was nobody to perform that ritual on him, so he got possessed at the end.

It makes sense but doesn't rule out the other theory that he and the shaman were the bad guys working against the mysterious woman/guardian angel.

Viker

Häxan
Another recommendation, Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror. It's a 3+ hour documentary on the genre recently released.

Viker

Häxan
I'm actually still unsure who the "wrong character" was. In my opinion, this is a core aspect of the plot's brilliance: it has two possible interpretations that are both diametrically opposed.

There was a theory I read a while back that the Japanese man was a good shaman who performed rituals on the dead to prevent them from getting possessed. However, when he himself died, there was nobody to perform that ritual on him, so he got possessed at the end.

It makes sense but doesn't rule out the other theory that he and the shaman were the bad guys working against the mysterious woman/guardian angel.
It makes sense but doesn't rule out the other theory that he and the shaman were the bad guys working against the mysterious woman/guardian angel.....This is my interpretation.