• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flower story, just for fun

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Getting flowers for temples in this country, midwinter has been a challenge ... long time challenge. Cost is a major factor. When cost is a factor, one method to get around it is to go wholesale. A few months I decided, after a particularly insightful trip to the temple, bathing in the darshan of He who has One Tusk, and lamenting the total lack of flowers, it came rushing. "Stop complaining, and do something." He spoke. He With One tusk always speaks. It is just us who can't listen.

So the next day it was a trip to 3 wholesalers ... try to attach a larger order to theirs, do some leg work. The first two places were pointless ... but the third one was different ... "Oh yes, we can do that!" 14 10 stem bundles of mini-carns, once a week, standing order, coming from Toronto. Surprised, yes. (Works out to about 550 blooms)

So then it's off to find a couple of sponsors ... first 2 friends I ask say sure no problem, so it's set. Three times a week the garlands go, and He looks appreciative. (Not that He ever looks unappreciative.)

In the meantime, another greenhouse/flower shop is visited, and a friendly talk takes place, with the outcome ... "I might be able to beat that. Will call you when I figure it out."

And then ... coronavirus. Temple gets closed, flower shop closes. Looks like The Remover of Obstacles isn't up to doing his job description.

And then ... greenhouse lady calls ... "Can you pick up every Thursday?" (starting April 2)
"Yes, of course."

Flowers are more plentiful (more to a stem) and higher quality.

And that, my fellow devotees, is how He sees to it that He gets garlanded and nobody sees except for the priests. The darshan radiates outward, through the city, to the homes, and His namesake about being the Obstacle Remover is re-established.

Ekadantaya Vidmahe Vakratundaya Dhimahe Tanodante Pracodayat.

May you feel that. I am so grateful.

Aum

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Ekadanta is great fun. Look into his smiling eyes. In homes, garland of sandalwood chips, in addition to the fresh-flower garland.
With a lock-down for 21 days, Periwinkle is our only option, that is what my wife tells me. But the Ekadanta is just as happy.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I am fortunate to be able to get some nice flowers from our supermarkets year round. I usually get 2 or 3 bunches of carnations and/or chrysanthemums. A bunch is usually 10-12 stems for $10-12. They last me a little over a week.

Speaking of Lord Ganesha’s help, I’m ashamed to admit I haven’t given him the credit for the things I’ve been helped with. I knew someone has been helping me and giving me inspiration and removing obstacles and walls. Now I realize it’s been him and Maa Lakshmi. :)