• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flexibility of the self is REAL power

coberst

Flexibility of the self is REAL power

Those people are STRONG who can withdraw a pseudopod at will from trifles as well as from important matters. The individuals who are strong enough to control the ego rather than the ego being in control is indeed “master of their domain”.

One of life’s more urgent and difficult problems is learning to set the boundaries of the ego. Such control represents true maturity of character and personality.

The “self” is in the body but is not part of the body; it is symbolic and is not physical. The human can be symbolically located wherever s/he thinks part of her really exists or belongs. The more insecure we are the more important these symbolic extensions of the self become. In conceiving our self as a container that overflows with various and important extensions that our technology provides us we might appear like a giant amoeba spread out over the land with a center in the self.

Because the child has no such control and is almost always identified through the parent, the child reflects the parent’s point of view. The child is the parent before s/he is his or her self; psychoanalysis’ call this “repression”. “This simplified discussion of the ego and its boundaries take us right into the heart of psychoanalytic theory, and to one of its true and lasting discoveries: the famous “mechanisms of defense”.

These mechanisms describe how the child stakes out the extensions of the self. “Introjection” is the taking the parts of one person into the image of the self. “Projection” is the placing of the child’s desires and thoughts into others. “Each of us is in some ways a grotesque collage, a composite of injected and ejected parts over which we have no honest control…Little wonder that we spend our lives searching in mirrors to find out who we “really” are.”

Ideas and quotes from “The Birth and Death of Meaning”—Ernest Becker

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
That’s very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I think that we must control the mind and not let the mind control us. We must be strong enough to do that.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I agree with the sentiment expressed in the OP. I would add that the means of controlling the ego is to become construct aware - to be aware that all the things I experience (including "me") are constructed out of language and the relationship between words. Autonomy is freeing one's self from the limitation of perceiving language as having objective reality. It is to recognize the mistake of confusing the signs for the things signified.

FatMan

Certainly those who adapt in life have the best chances to succeed. Adaptability can refer to the mind as well as the body or anything else.

doppelganger

FatMan said:
Certainly those who adapt in life have the best chances to succeed. Adaptability can refer to the mind as well as the body or anything else.

Those who can step outside of convention are the ones who truly "succeed" beyond the imagination of those do not. They are also life's colossal failures. It has always been the case that results are the difference between genius and insanity.

FatMan

doppelgänger said:
Those who can step outside of convention are the ones who truly "succeed" beyond the imagination of those do not. They are also life's colossal failures. It has always been the case that results are the difference between genius and insanity.

Perceived results. Society's view of failure may differ with that of the person being judged.

doppelganger

FatMan said:
Perceived results. Society's view of failure may differ with that of the person being judged.
Quite right. How many prophets died alone in asylums, their gospels never really heard?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
doppelgänger said:
I agree with the sentiment expressed in the OP. I would add that the means of controlling the ego is to become construct aware - to be aware that all the things I experience (including "me") are constructed out of language and the relationship between words. Autonomy is freeing one's self from the limitation of perceiving language as having objective reality. It is to recognize the mistake of confusing the signs for the things signified.

True, and it is somewhat "interesting" to think that those not capable of control of the ego are often permanently trying to control everyone else - which, of course, for all concerned, is disasterous.

I wonder if this same "lack of..."(whatever) always results in the behaviour of externalising the need for such a skill ?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Both the OP and Doppelganger's post seem to me to be describing Buddhist mind-control techniques in non-Buddhist terminology............not exactly but quite close.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Engyo said:
Both the OP and Doppelganger's post seem to me to be describing Buddhist mind-control techniques in non-Buddhist terminology............not exactly but quite close.

Of course; Bhuddist methodology and thinking form a great deal of psychotherapy teaching.

I was taught "Mindfulness" as a core discipline of helping being aware of what is happening to one's own body, but relaxation, meditation are all skills used to help patients.

doppelganger

Engyo said:

My Buddhism exposure is not as direct as it is with other traditions. I just haven't had time or occasion to internalize it's mythology directly yet as I have with Christianity, Taoism and western Philosophy. I have studied filtrations of it though in the works of Campbell, Jung and Schopenhauer. The mind-control techniques, construct awareness and language transcendence are essentially the same for any of the great mythologies. It's merely a matter of learning to listen to myth.

coberst

I am not speaking of Buddhism or mythology. I am merely summarizing some of the conclusions of psychology and psychoanalysis as described by Ernest Becker in his book "The Birth and Death of Meaning".

doppelganger

coberst said:
I am not speaking of Buddhism or mythology. I am merely summarizing some of the conclusions of psychology and psychoanalysis as described by Ernest Becker in his book "The Birth and Death of Meaning".

The birth and death of meaning is mythology.

doppelganger

coberst said:
I am not an expert on either meaning or mythology and thus I do not comprehend your post. Could you clarify?

Why do you conclude that talking about Becker's book is different than talking about "Buddhism" or "mythology"?

lunamoth

Will to love
doppelgänger said:
LOL. Both.

Perhaps we should say the meaning of birth and death and rebirth.

Man, I feel like I've died and been reborn several times already in just this one life...don't tell me it just keeps going!

Random

lunamoth said:
Man, I feel like I've died and been reborn several times already in just this one life...don't tell me it just keeps going!

It just keeps going...:shout