• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First verses Book of Mormon/Bible comparisons

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
If saved, she is in a so much better place. If there is no GOD, than it really doesn't matter.

Once again Little Nipper demonstrates what a truly sick religion Christianity is, and how following it retards one's moral character. To LittleNipper, someone else's death really doesn't matter.

Demonic Kitten

If it is just another book, why even waste your time?

I believe that all books should be read or studied. Religious books like the bible contain the truth yet they do not contain the truth..it is all up to the one reading/interpreting. You choose to believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible and I choose to not believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible....simple as that. I respect your belief, but you do not seem to respect the beliefs of others..."All is One and One is All".

(For those Anime fans yes I got that from FMA ^_^)

LittleNipper

I believe that all books should be read or studied. Religious books like the bible contain the truth yet they do not contain the truth..it is all up to the one reading/interpreting. You choose to believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible and I choose to not believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible....simple as that. I respect your belief, but you do not seem to respect the beliefs of others..."All is One and One is All".

(For those Anime fans yes I got that from FMA ^_^)

I believe anyone may believe whatever they wish, but they will not develope false beliefs without some exposure to the truth. You are now without excuse.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
If saved, she is in a so much better place. If there is no GOD, than it really doesn't matter.
So you claim.
The problem is that you have nothing but your faith to back up this claim.
You are trying to sell your faith in this thread.
In fact, you are claiming your faith is better than everyone else's faith.
You seem to be a bit perturbed that no one is buying what you are selling.

Demonic Kitten

I believe anyone may believe whatever they wish, but they will not develope false beliefs without some exposure to the truth. You are now without excuse.

Translation: You can believe anything you want, but if you don't believe the same way as I do then you are wrong.

Your truth and mine are two totally different things. Why would I even need an excuse?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
That is exactly what I said you would say! Congrats on spouting the party line....

(I guess Gods plan included concrete slowly crushing the life out of children.)
Satan is presently still the Cherub in charge over this world. And well do as GOD allows him sway.

How about the missionary who was rescued by her husband unhurt. You worry so much about the poor children and yet I bet you think abortion as a matter of convenience is alright...

This is your response to the slow deaths of children in Haiti?
Satin did it?
But the Missionary survived? (God took time out of his busy schedule to do that.)
Then you attempt to ignore the suffering of the children dieing in Haiti by turning this to an abortion argument?

Pitiful...:facepalm:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
You need to stop telling me what to say, and you will not seem a hypocrite,

But apparently you don't mind telling other people what they need. I figured you would include yourself in that--no? So it's O.K. for you to tell other people what they need, but not O.K. for other people to tell you what you need? *goes to dictionary to look up "hypocrite."*

DavyCrocket2003

I'm not selling religion. You need to have a relationship with GOD.
Hey LittleNipper. Do you think Mormons can have a relationship with God, despite the fact that you disagree with their doctrine? The reason I ask is this: The reason I believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible is directly because of the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon is what led me to Jesus Christ. To me, the Book of Mormon is evidence that Jesus Christ lives and that he is our Savior. Seriously. This is why I asked you why you think the Book of Mormon exists. So why does it exist, in your opinion?

LittleNipper

But apparently you don't mind telling other people what they need. I figured you would include yourself in that--no? So it's O.K. for you to tell other people what they need, but not O.K. for other people to tell you what you need? *goes to dictionary to look up "hypocrite."*

I present the case of my beliefs, what you wish to believe is clearly up to you. Some people are not comfortable in their faith. Perhaps they even lack faith. I wish them to think about what they believe and come to their own conclusions as they view various considerations...
I went to the dictionary. And a hypocrite is someone who is critical of others and yet makes the very same errors himself. I've read the book of Mormon. I've read the Bible. I do make errors, but I do not consider my own errors in a better light than the error of others. I also have found the book of Mormon to be lacking when viewed in light of the Holy Scriptures. Someone point out where I am wrong in this and correct me.

LittleNipper

Hey LittleNipper. Do you think Mormons can have a relationship with God, despite the fact that you disagree with their doctrine? The reason I ask is this: The reason I believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible is directly because of the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon is what led me to Jesus Christ. To me, the Book of Mormon is evidence that Jesus Christ lives and that he is our Savior. Seriously. This is why I asked you why you think the Book of Mormon exists. So why does it exist, in your opinion?

Let me answer that in this way. I know a gentleman who was a JW. He had been an atheist and yet came to believe in GOD through encouragement and a Bible study hosted by a group of JW's. However, as this gentleman matured in the spirit he became aware of issues surrounding the beliefs of the JW's which he felt uncomfortable with. He was so confronted on several door to door visits throughout various neighborhoods.

Eventually, he met a man who was very strong in the LORD and took the time to witness to him. He finally left the JW's and after going to a bible college became the pastor of a church. However, GOD used his understanding of the JW's and he was able to lead many to CHRIST.

Last edited:

LittleNipper

Yet here you are....

All you have done is shown how their beliefs differ from yours.
You have STILL forgotten to show that your beliefs are right.

Nor are you.

But we all can see that that fact does not even slow you down.

My beliefs are based on scripture that is understood in context with the rest of scripture. Some may accept something only because that is what they were brought up to accept, and have heard nothing different. If such is the truth, it will stand against much probing.

LittleNipper

Hey Little Nipper, think of it from the perspective of God. Wouldn't a loving Heavenly Father consider us all equally his children? I mean, why would he answer my prayer over your prayer, he loves us both. Why would he treat us any differently. We both believe in him and we both try to follow his commandments. What if we are both right? I mean, granted we disagree on some issues. But if we both believe in God and we both believe in the Bible, doesn't that mean we're both right? Can't we just be friends and try to live Christ's Gospel the best we know how?

Now I have a question for you. Why does the Book of Mormon exist?

The book of Mormon exists for the very same reason the Koran does. GOD has allowed them to be. That in no way makes it GOD's WORD nor GOD breathed. I believe that Satan is the author of confusion and GOD allows people to accept what they will. Those that desire the truth will one day find it. Those that want other's to tell them what is true so that they do not need to do anything may find themselves believing both lies and half truths.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I went to the dictionary. And a hypocrite is someone who is critical of others and yet makes the very same errors himself. I've read the book of Mormon. I've read the Bible. I do make errors, but I do not consider my own errors in a better light than the error of others. I also have found the book of Mormon to be lacking when viewed in light of the Holy Scriptures. Someone point out where I am wrong in this and correct me.
Most of this thread consists of people correcting you in this regard.

For instance, you criticized the Book of Mormon for being inconsistent with the Gospels about how long "darkness covered the land" when Jesus died. However, the Bible is itself inconsistent in similar ways: for instance, the Gospel chronology has Jesus in the tomb for one day and two nights, but he had promised to be in the "belly of the Earth" for three days and three nights.

LittleNipper

Most of this thread consists of people correcting you in this regard.

For instance, you criticized the Book of Mormon for being inconsistent with the Gospels about how long "darkness covered the land" when Jesus died. However, the Bible is itself inconsistent in similar ways: for instance, the Gospel chronology has Jesus in the tomb for one day and two nights, but he had promised to be in the "belly of the Earth" for three days and three nights.

According to how the Hebrews counted days, CHRIST was in the tomb 3 days. CHRIST had to be in the tomb before evening. The next day began at sundown, Friday. CHRIST was already dead an in Abraham's Bosom before that time.

Another possibility is as follows:
The problem with the commonly accepted belief regarding the crucifixion and resurrection is that there are not three days and three nights between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. We believe the weight of scriptural and historical evidence leads to the conclusion that Jesus died on Wednesday afternoon, was hurriedly placed in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea shortly before sunset that same afternoon (the eve of an annual Sabbath, the first day of Unleavened Bread; John 19:30-31, 42; Mark 15:42-46) and was resurrected by the Father shortly before sunset on Saturday, three days and three nights after being placed in the tomb, exactly as He had said.
This explanation is consistent with the details found in Scripture. It does not require a strained fitting of three days and three nights between Friday evening and Sunday by speculating about parts of days and nights. It reconciles the accounts of the women and the spices, found in Mark 16:1 and Luke 23:56. In the first account, the faithful women obediently rested during holy time and afterward procured the spices. In the second account, the women prepared the spices and afterward rested during holy time.
These accounts are reconciled by understanding that there were two periods of holy time during the week in question. Jesus was crucified on the Passover (Matthew 26:18-20; 1 Corinthians 5:7), which was the preparation day (Mark 15:42) for the first annual Holy Day on the Jewish calendar, the first day of Unleavened Bread. The women waited until this day was over, then bought and prepared the spices, then rested again on God's weekly Sabbath day, and then proceeded to the tomb to apply the spices to Jesus' body early on Sunday morning.
They visited the tomb after the holy Sabbaths (plural) of that week (as the original Greek of Matthew 28:1 should be translated). The annual Sabbath (annual Holy Days also are called "Sabbaths" [Leviticus 16:31; 23:24]) was Thursday, and the weekly Sabbath was Saturday. When they arrived at the tomb early Sunday morning, they found it empty and heard the announcement from the angel that Jesus was alive and was not there (Mark 16:6).
A significant amount of historical and scriptural evidence points to A.D. 31 as the year of Christ's crucifixion and resurrection. Among these indicators of an A.D. 31 crucifixion are the fulfillment of Daniel's prophecy of the coming of the Messiah (Daniel 9:24-26; Ezra 7 [Artaxerxes' decree]), and a careful consideration of three milestones: the likely date of Jesus' birth, His age when He began His ministry and the duration of His ministry.
The calculated calendar of the Jews places the Passover in A.D. 31 on Wednesday, and Jesus Christ's death on that day fulfilled His role as the true Passover Lamb of God (1 Corinthians 5:7). The next day, Thursday, was a holy (annual) Sabbath. On that Thursday, the chief priests and Pharisees went to Pilate to secure permission to seal and guard Jesus' tomb (Matthew 27:62-66). Later, on Sunday, the resurrected Jesus walked along the road to Emmaus and talked with two of His disciples, who discussed all the things that had happened, including the Thursday visit by the leaders to Pilate (Luke 24:13-14, 20). They mentioned that this day, Sunday, was the third day since all these things had happened (verse 21).
In summary, we believe that Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, died for our sins on the Passover, was entombed for three days and three nights (72 hours) and then was resurrected and, after a period of further contact with the disciples, ascended to heaven to sit at the Father's right hand, far above all others in power, glory and honor (Ephesians 1:19-23).

Last edited: