• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First time in a temple.

Flame

Beware
Like the title says, on Friday evening I'll be going to a temple for the first time. Up until now I've been doing everything from home and wanted to expand that to a temple as well. Sadly there are no active temples within my state; I did find one website that hadn't been updated in three years. The nearest one, the one I'll be going to, is in Minneapolis MN which is roughly 6 hours away.

I did get in contact with the temple to explain my situation and thankfully the staff said they'd help me get settled in. I believe etiquette-wise I'm ready but any recommendations and tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Islington

It is too long a trip to be overstressed and I'm sure you will be so impressed that your manners will be impeccable and with the help of the staff, all the less worrying to do! Enjoy the darshan, don't forget to say hello to the divinities!

That being said, I understand your feeling very well; here's my two cents: As I would when invited a someone's place, I like to bring a little something, like sweets or flowers for a deity. Of course, since my go-to temple is Ganesha's, sweets are always well received, (even when they're for the staff rather than for the deity ;) )

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
You'll be fine. Just do as the locals do and you'll fit in splendidly.
I second the notion to bring along something sweet like fruits. We often do that at my local temple, to be offered as prasad. Or home cooked stuff like rice pudding for the more culinary inclined.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I would check with the temple before bringing anything. My temple doesn't take prasad from home anymore. The temple kitchen prepares everything. The thinking may be because a home may not be completely vegetarian.

I see people bring flowers and fruits, but I believe they are for archana. I've seen the priests place an occasional fruit or flower at a deity's feet. The offerings may be from devotees. But I would still check.

Flame

Beware
I would check with the temple before bringing anything. My temple doesn't take prasad from home anymore. The temple kitchen prepares everything. The thinking may be because a home may not be completely vegetarian.

I see people bring flowers and fruits, but I believe they are for archana. I've seen the priests place an occasional fruit or flower at a deity's feet. The offerings may be from devotees. But I would still check.

Flowers are fine to bring however its the same there, where the temple kitchen prepares everything.

Last edited: