• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First official Diwali?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Most NGOs in India are farce. Either they are evangelist organizations bringing in foreign money against the laws under which they operate, or they are floated by wives of politicians, administrators, and police officials, and are given government money for the supposed work that they do, and for which they conveniently forget to submit accounts. Modi government is trying to control both types.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
They publish opinion pieces.

Opinion pieces or not, that first article, recently published just a few days ago on Oct. 24, 2014, is so very typical of the very anti-Hindu encroachments HAF and numerous other Hindu rights independent organizations specifically warn against. I mean, just read the comments if one doesn't want to read Pankaj Mishra's whole rant. A crapload of the comments, posted by both Hindus and non-Hindus, rightly lambast the article's fallacious and misleading nature. Please keep in mind, though, I bring that article up specifically because it is articles like that that get passed around as "progressive" and "forward thinking".

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Opinion pieces or not, that first article, recently published just a few days ago on Oct. 24, 2014, is so very typical of the very anti-Hindu encroachments HAF and numerous other Hindu rights independent organizations specifically warn against. I mean, just read the comments if one doesn't want to read Pankaj Mishra's whole rant. A crapload of the comments, posted by both Hindus and non-Hindus, rightly lambast the article's fallacious and misleading nature. Please keep in mind, thought,, I bring that article up specifically because it is articles like that that get passed around as "progressive" and "forward thinking".

So what's the solution? Most people with a brain and a bit have already seen through it. If they're interested they subscribe to award winning journals like our own Hinduism Today, or come on sites like this and ask legitimate questions to educate themselves.

Some people simple can't be changed, because the gridded intellect has them captured wallowing in their own 'brains' and the regurgitated words of others who've have gone before them. So mostly it's a little club of people who don't spread their wings much farther than we do. So, for the most part, I'm not too worried about that little club. It's the man on the street I worry about, for fear that peace abiding citizens who happen to be Hindu get lumped together with other more radical people from other faiths for no good reason at all.

But I fully expect the NY Times to print a well reasoned response in the days ahead. You should write it.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
So what's the solution?

No solution---definitely not right now. Anti-__anything__ is here to stay, till aliens invade. And then it will be anti-aliens (I'll be pro-aliens, however :p).

But I fully expect the NY Times to print a well reasoned response in the days ahead. You should write it.

I'd rather subscribe to the Tilak School of Thought© than write anything for NYTimes. :D

Joking aside, it's important, yes, to consider that audiences vary in how certain well-versed individuals are in regards to realities such as these. It's good you bring up Hinduism Today---I don't know how many conscious Hindus subscribe to Hinduism Today, but I recommend it to not only interested parties but also to family members and friends. If there is a platform that is religious in nature and progressive and authentically a healthy hybrid of both tradition and forwardly liberal, it's Hinduism Today. Plus, their monthly video updates are always a good watch.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Perhaps I am not being fair to HAF. They can go ahead doing what they do, but should not indulge in 'reforming' Hinduism. I am a bit touchy about reforms and I think they should leave it to better people. Personal views.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Change happens, whether we like it or not. Sometimes it may be called reform, and sometimes not.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
And here's Barkha Dutt at it again:
Aurangabad Central was the result of a deep fracturing of the votes. Such a thing is not likely to happen again.

Syed Imtiaz Jalil - MIM - 61,843
Kishanchand Lekhraj Tanwani - BJP - 40,770
Pradeep Jaiswal - Shiv Sena - 41,861
Patil Vinod Narayan - NCP - 11,842
M M Shaikh - CONG - 9,093
Rajgaurav Haridas Wankhede - MNS - 6,291

I think BJP and Shiv Sena wiil not fight against each other in the next election. NCP, Congress, and MNS will cease to be relevant. In a straight fight MIM will never succeed. It is a one-time happening. We really handed the seat to MIM on a platter.

Who worries about these 'progressive writers' here in India or those who write in NYT or Huffington? It is BJP and Modi all the way - perhaps in Kashmir too on 23rd Dec., when the Jharkhand and J&K results are declared.

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Who worries about these 'progressive writers' here in India or those who write in NYT or Huffington?

When a proud Bharatiya in Bharat has Modi as their PM, no one would really give a darn. I, on the other hand, am not as blessed. [Mainstream] media here is more influential. And articles like that get passed around here as authoritative. Heck, one only needs to know how much power and influence many of the anti-Hindu camp have in the West by just taking a look at the California textbook controversy.

It is BJP and Modi all the way - perhaps in Kashmir too on 23rd Dec., when the Jharkhand and J&K results are declared.

BJP needs at least 44, right?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, in a house of 87. 37 from Jammu region, 4 from Kargil, Dras and Ladakh, and 46 from the valley. The results are going to be very interesting. Congress is decimated, National Conference of Abdullah's down as they were inactive during the floods. I think PDP will win many seats in the valley. BJP is going to contest some seats in the valley too and it has support. Coalitions will be necessary. Let us see what happens. Both, National Conference and PDP have participated in BJP governments. Farooq Abdullah was a health minister, and Mufti Mohammad Syed was the home minister at various times.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Modi will address 7 to 8 rallies in Kashmir. It plans to contest 22 to 24 seats in the valley and may support independants in some others.

Elections in Jammu and Kashmir - Jammu and Kashmir Elections Results, News, CMs, Governors and Cabinet Ministers
PM Modi may address 8 poll rallies in J&K beginning November 10 - The Times of India

BJP, which is targeting 44+ seats, has nominated 12 Muslims out of 45 candidates for the 87-member assembly (in their first list). Party will contest all 87 seats in the Assembly.
12 Muslims of 45 candidates figure in BJP's first J&K list - The Times of India

Last edited: