• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First impression of my iMac

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
For the past few months I've been debating with myself if I wanted to buy a new computer or not; my old one was okay in that it could open Photoshop, run small-medium size media files, and operate, although I frequently encountered problems in all three areas. Spyware somehow always got on my computer, even when I restricted my access to sites like RF, amazon, wikipedia, and newgrounds. I also was frusterated with how many times I had to wait for a program to close after I started to scratch my RAM capacity... and then there was the blue screen of hell.

So I decided to say my goodbyes to Windows. I carefully looked over the Apple website, checked with others, then finally bought into it, and threw out my money. I purchased a 17" iMac with 2.0 Ghz processor, 2 GB of RAM, and 160 storage.

My first impression: white and beautiful. After that: wow, am I ready to install?. All you have to do is plug in the power cord, mouse, keyboard, and push the start button. After that the compuer loads (quickly I might add) and you go through a brief and entertaining introduction.

But it's the desktop that really steals the cake. I adore the dock. Basically it acts as your bottom toolbar, but it provides you with more options than Expand/Close. You also have a dominant toolbar on the top that works for the window on the top layer.

The speed is amazing. When I had Windows I was used to clicking the Photoshop exe. file and waiting a few moments for it load; not on this machine. I can also turn the thing off and on in less than 30 seconds by whatever means I want: button, action, or remote.

The Dashboard is brilliant. I didn't understand the concept until I accidently clicked on the scroll reel. Basically your entire desktop temporarily loses function and you are given mini-programs. I also love the Expose. Instead of having to shuffle through ten windows, you hold down the side of your mouse and all your open windows spread out and minimize so that you can pick which one you want at that moment. This makes designing FUN again.

It's so hard to explain all these concepts to Windows users. My advice: find a friend with a Mac and test it out! There is a learning curve, but it's gradual. I'm currently trying to learn the hotkeys and keep them separate from Windows (I print at school with Windows).

Some gripes (that might be answered by option changes):
- Text looks a bit strange, but that could be because I'm used to Windows
- A lot of good programs, but the word processor doesn't have too many functions

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I would switch in a heartbeat, but there's only one problem. Not all of the Office programs from Microsoft come in Mac format, and one is a program that I use all the time. Virtual PC is fine and all, but to have to run it that way is a pain. =/

Other than that, I love macs.