• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding a open cloister?

Does there exist buddhist monk cloisters which are open to strangers, in such a way that you can live with them for over a set of time?

When i search for Tibet cloister, for example, the only thing i find is tourist-vacations/visitings. Is it possible to live with tibet monks over a set of time - for real?

Hope for some answers! ^^

Vishvavajra

Rather than "cloister," try searching for "Tibetan Buddhist retreat."

I don't know Tibetan practice well, but many Mahayana Buddhist monasteries offer retreats to laymen, usually from a day to a week. Sometimes at the monastery, other times at a separate retreat center. You probably won't be living with the monks as one of them, but the retreat experience is similar to the monastic life in the particulars, only for a short time. Retreats are led by monks or authorized teachers who have studied with them. It's the best way to kick-start your practice.

Ah! So its not like its possible to "become one of them" even if you've converted to their belief system? What do they want of the people that are living there from before?

Rather than "cloister," try searching for "Tibetan Buddhist retreat."

I don't know Tibetan practice well, but many Mahayana Buddhist monasteries offer retreats to laymen, usually from a day to a week. Sometimes at the monastery, other times at a separate retreat center. You probably won't be living with the monks as one of them, but the retreat experience is similar to the monastic life in the particulars, only for a short time. Retreats are led by monks or authorized teachers who have studied with them. It's the best way to kick-start your practice.
I ask the question again: how do you "become one of them?"

Vishvavajra

I ask the question again: how do you "become one of them?"
You want to become a monk? Go to the monastery and tell them you want to become a monk. They'll tell you what you need to do. You'll have to put your affairs in order, for one thing, and there are special rules and precepts to receive. Becoming a monk isn't like going on retreat; it's a permanent life change, even though it is possible to leave if you feel you must.

Osal

There are monasteries who will allow extended retreat where the retreatant takes temporary vows and spends the retreat bound by monastic rules rules set down by vinaya, the lineage and the abbot. When the retreat is over, you go home and let your hair grow back.

No, i don't know what monasteries do this.

Sorry.

Last edited: