• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally Signed Up for the Vaccine Today

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
After months of delays both due to being in a less prioritized demographic and due to pressure from family (to the point of a major dispute/argument at home a few weeks ago), I have signed up for the COVID-19 vaccine and am now waiting for a message from the Ministry of Health to go and get the jab.

Aside from feeling a sense of duty and responsibility to get vaccinated as soon as possible (both to at least reduce the probability of infecting others, mainly my family, if I catch the virus and to increase my own protection), I also see absolutely no reason not to get the vaccine in my case. I'm risking a civil war of sorts at home in case my parents find out (since they really do think it would have a high chance of killing or sterilizing me), but I value increased protection both for others and myself as well as scientific consensus much more than I do fear-based judgments and anti-scientific posts.

To be more specific, my parents freaked out over the idea of my signing up because of misinformation, conspiracy theories, and fearmongering (largely from reading misleading posts that painted extremely rare but severe reactions to the vaccine as being far more common than the evidence demonstrates). I understand that their intentions are in the right place because they believe they're protecting me, but I've decided I'm not going to forgo crucial medical advice after my repeated and persistent attempts to change their minds have sadly all failed so far.

I will surely keep trying to convince them to follow the advice of major health authorities worldwide, but in the meantime, I will do my own part and get the jab. I hope it won't be a long wait!

AlexanderG

Fantastic. Good for you!

Sorry to hear about your parents, but ultimately you can't be responsible for their choices. You are responsible for yourself, and in this case you are certainly behaving responsibly.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
....my parents find out (since they really do think it would have a high chance of killing or sterilizing me)

I will surely keep trying to convince them to follow the advice of major health authorities worldwide
The fastest way to convince them is to get the jab and make babies (and not die in the process:D)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
After months of delays both due to being in a less prioritized demographic and due to pressure from family (to the point of a major dispute/argument at home a few weeks ago), I have signed up for the COVID-19 vaccine and am now waiting for a message from the Ministry of Health to go and get the jab.

Aside from feeling a sense of duty and responsibility to get vaccinated as soon as possible (both to at least reduce the probability of infecting others, mainly my family, if I catch the virus and to increase my own protection), I also see absolutely no reason not to get the vaccine in my case. I'm risking a civil war of sorts at home in case my parents find out (since they really do think it would have a high chance of killing or sterilizing me), but I value increased protection both for others and myself as well as scientific consensus much more than I do fear-based judgments and anti-scientific posts.

To be more specific, my parents freaked out over the idea of my signing up because of misinformation, conspiracy theories, and fearmongering (largely from reading misleading posts that painted extremely rare but severe reactions to the vaccine as being far more common than the evidence demonstrates). I understand that their intentions are in the right place because they believe they're protecting me, but I've decided I'm not going to forgo crucial medical advice after my repeated and persistent attempts to change their minds have sadly all failed so far.

I will surely keep trying to convince them to follow the advice of major health authorities worldwide, but in the meantime, I will do my own part and get the jab. I hope it won't be a long wait!
I'll probably get it myself at some point, but make preparations in case I need a day off or two when my immune system starts the war games.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
That's the plan except for making babies, since I'm not sure I will ever want to. :D
Good plan ... no babies ... we have already plenty of those running around on earth
I told my parents at age 10 "no babies for me", so they had 50 years to get used to my plan

And if you tell them that, then they can let go about their worry "he will get sterilized by the jab"
And when you change your plan, they will be over the moon with a grandkid anyway:D (win-win)

We Never Know

No Slack

Its sad that it brings strive within your family but its your choice.
I don't know where you live but here where I live a person can just got into walgreens, walmart, or others pharmacy's and get them, no sign up needed. .