• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally got the 'rona

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Just got over COVID after I finally came down with it a couple weeks ago. Surprised I didn't get it sooner!

I work in a hospital setting since before COVID happened and have been through outbreaks that made international news. Here's a couple noteworthy ones

The first outbreak story there was especially stupid. We were told to REUSE our hospital masks until they were visibly soiled because company didn't have enough masks. That wasn't true as I saw the pallets of masks they had in the warehouse and the people working there told me they had more than enough

I've since moved to a new hospital owned by the same company. This move happened well into the height of COVID and I worked primarily in the ICU and the CCU. Both of those floors were where we put our COVID patients. The ICU is where we put the most vulnerable COVID patients (some of which were intubated due to their condition). I got to see a lot of people dying by themselves in isolation rooms... Dark days

Needless to say, lots of outbreaks at the new hospital too. Nurses walking patients down the halls while not putting a mask on the patient or going from room to room without taking off their PPE and putting on a fresh pair. Like.... Why? In any case, I didn't get sick there, either! This is despite the fact that I've walked around those floors where the outbreaks happened. There were times we had 5 or 6 floors devoted to serving COVID patients... Yeesh

It's gotten to the point where everyone I know, friends or family, have gotten the 'rona. Lots of stories about the various things that happen when you get it, and now it has been my turn finally! Much anticipation!

If I were to give a yelp review? Two stars. Sucks, but didn't hit much harder than any other really bad flu. Didn't live up to the hype for me. I'm younger and ultra vaccinated though, so I'm sure that played a part in why it was relatively unimpressive

How about you guys? What were your experiences?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I hope you recover soon.

I had it once. It was horrible. Not quite as bad as some other sicknesses, but worse than the normal flu. It lasted a while and had a large variety of symptoms.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I hope you recover soon.

I had it once. It was horrible. Not quite as bad as some other sicknesses, but worse than the normal flu. It lasted a while and had a large variety of symptoms.

I'm already over it! Thanks for the well wishes, though. I still mask up when I go to work even though I'm not required to. Better safe than sorry!

Btw, did you lose your sense of smell or taste or anything like that? Didn't have anything that exciting happen

Wandering Monk

If you got COVID this late, it is one of the weak variants. If you had gotten the alpha thru delta variants, you might be dead. I had the delta variant in December of 2021. I was laid up for five days with body aches and fever, headache, and no energy and I did lose my sense of smell for a few days. I was 63 at the time. My boss who had it earlier in the year (probably Beta) lost his sense of smell for a couple of months and to this day, his sense of taste has been affected.

The variant with the highest Case Fatality Rate ( diagnosed with COVID) was the Beta variant: 4% of people diagnosed with the variant died from it.

Last edited:

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
If you got COVID this late, it is one of the weak variants. If you had gotten the alpha thru delta variants, you might be dead. I had the delta variant in December of 2021. I was laid up for five days with body aches and fever, headache, and no energy and I did lose my sense of smell for a few days. I was 63 at the time.

Oof... That's rough. My dad had a similar experience to that as well, and I saw plenty of people who really went through it. My friend who struggles with asthma had to have breathing treatments and she said she felt like she was about to die a couple times. Then of course there were those who did lose the fight like my cousin Ricky due to COVID

I'm glad you were able to weather the storm, though. Not fun to go through. Glad I got the weaker form and was vaccinated enough to not suffer much!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Both hubby and i were warned right at the beginning that Covid would probably kill us due to existing medical conditions. So we were extremely careful with precautions and luckily we didn't catch it (so far). The later variants are apparently not as bad but we are still keeping clear of crowds, shopping early morning to avoid other shoppers etc.

I know of 4 people who have died of it, early on. I don't know od anyone who has died in recent months

Glad you are feeling better.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I had COVID a couple of months ago. I caught it from an urgent care I visited to renew my DOT medical card.

Most of the symptoms lasted just over a week, but the cough lingered for a couple of months.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I did as well...the original and two boosters, but once the more aggressive variant fell away, I made the decision to stop the boosters.

Same. Maybe that's why I finally got it like I did? Keeping up on them with boosters was mandatory at my hospital for a while, but now just being vaccinated is good enough

Wandering Monk

Same. Maybe that's why I finally got it like I did? Keeping up on them with boosters was mandatory at my hospital for a while, but now just being vaccinated is good enough
Being vaccinated doesn't prevent infection. It just reduces the symptoms. If a person had the virus, I think their immune response is to more of the virus's proteins than from the MRNA vaccines which are built around one protein if I am recalling correctly.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
I had COVID-19 in Sept '21. Not confirmed by test, but clearly COVID-19. Two days of fatigue and irritating headache, several days of mild dry cough, messed up sense of taste. All good since. May have had it a couple other times since then, but don't know for certain. No shots.