• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fiction that's Not Fiction ?

Ellen Brown

I'm surprised, or am I? The more I study and research, it seems that often the truth is stranger than what we thought was fiction.

Mostly I try not to mix my theology with the uncertainty of Science Fiction. Lately, I don't know?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you mean exactly?
I mean if you wish to read about odd real life events there's entire genres dedicated to it. Non fiction.
History.
Even the children's show Horrible Histories makes light of real life weirdness.

Ellen Brown

Lately, I'm seeing the disparity between The Bible, Religious Leadership, and YouTube in their narrative on ancient history, Archeological Ruins, and the sometimes mysterious fantasy that Youtube creators add to the mix. Is it outright hypocracy or simple ignorance? More to follow, perhaps

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
As much as pseudo-rationalists may like you to think otherwise, diving deep into pure fiction (could be Dune, could be Lovecraft, could be film too etc, anything you immersive and unusual or weird) can actually teach you a lot about yourself. Aside from this, philosophy and social commentary is often rampant in fiction in.......creative ways.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Lately, I'm seeing the disparity between The Bible, Religious Leadership, and YouTube in their narrative on ancient history, Archeological Ruins, and the sometimes mysterious fantasy that Youtube creators add to the mix. Is it outright hypocracy or simple ignorance? More to follow, perhaps
Why read something done by actual archaelogists.?

GoodbyeDave

"Biblical archeology" tends to be a mess, since the dating of the Near Eastern Bronze Age is totally wrong. For years they've used a system that was supposed to be based on Egyptian astronomical observations. Now most people admit that was rubbish, but there's no agreed replacement because they'd seldom used radiocarbon dating — they'd assumed they didn't need it.

The Biblical narrative is largely reliable back to Solomon, a bit confused for David and Saul, and mostly mythical before that.

If you have any questions, just ask — so long as I'm not asked to view Youtube!

Ellen Brown

"Biblical archeology" tends to be a mess, since the dating of the Near Eastern Bronze Age is totally wrong. For years they've used a system that was supposed to be based on Egyptian astronomical observations. Now most people admit that was rubbish, but there's no agreed replacement because they'd seldom used radiocarbon dating — they'd assumed they didn't need it.

The Biblical narrative is largely reliable back to Solomon, a bit confused for David and Saul, and mostly mythical before that.

If you have any questions, just ask — so long as I'm not asked to view Youtube!

In my own opinion, I've found that Bible Scholars are mostly incompetent on every subject. In explaining many key scriptures, they completely delude them; casting doubt about their inclusion in the canon, often using the crutch that "It is figurative, or metaphorical".

It would be interesting to have fully degreed Archeologists and Anthropologists examining the Bible. I was in Israel for a week, and from what I saw, the Archeologists, both Jewish and not, were intensely interested in what they dug up. They spoke of David and other Historical characters as if they really existed, and seemed to spend no time trying to un-explain things that happened.

GoodbyeDave

The Biblical history of the divided monarchy, complete with dates, can be checked with Assyrian records. Obviously the records of Solomon and David are a bit vague and they can't be checked, but it would be very silly to doubt their existence or the basic facts of their activities. Historical records get patchier as we go back, but they don't suddenly stop.