• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feminist Only: "Angry Feminist" Stereotype?

Kirran

Premium Member
When women of color bring up the rates of rape and sexual assault as affecting them in far greater numbers and percentages than white women, or when women of color bring up police brutality, the wage gap between them and white women, etc.

Many times white feminists do not acknowledge the disparity or become annoyed that Black Feminism or Womanism is even a "thing."

It's the same gripe that egalitarians have toward feminism..."Why do you have to have a female-specific qualifier when it comes to equality? Aren't we ALL wanting equal rights?"

White feminists tend to ask Black Feminism and Womanism..."Why do you have to have a color-specific qualifer when it comes to equality? Aren't we ALL feminists and wanting equal rights?"

So when the issue is pressed again and again, because women of color keep bringing up their stories of injustice, too often white feminists or cis feminists (when trans people ask for solidarity on their fights against injustice) will dismiss, deride, or - worse- threaten women in intersectional concerns.

It's great to get your perspective on this problem, which is a fascinating and very concerning one. The comparison to egalitarianism struck me as a brilliant point.

It really is amazing that these people have joined a movement dedicated to gaining greater equality for people, and then actively assert their own high status in a new status quo.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It's great to get your perspective on this problem, which is a fascinating and very concerning one. The comparison to egalitarianism struck me as a brilliant point.

It really is amazing that these people have joined a movement dedicated to gaining greater equality for people, and then actively assert their own high status in a new status quo.

Unfortunately, it's been going on since the suffrage movement began and the 14th Amendment was established. Many suffragettes were blatantly racist who felt that black women weren't people. Betty Frieden - after penning the amazing "The Feminine Mystique" - was homophobic and biphobic and refused to acknowledge the struggles that bisexual and lesbian women experience. Today, a LOT of feminists refuse to acknowledge that trans women are even women at all, and continue to tell them that since they grew up with male privilege, that they shouldn't even be a part of feminism.

It's important to acknowledge, not because it's a new thing, but because the stratification continues to this day from the beginnings of the movement.

Kirran

Premium Member
Unfortunately, it's been going on since the suffrage movement began and the 14th Amendment was established. Many suffragettes were blatantly racist who felt that black women weren't people. Betty Frieden - after penning the amazing "The Feminine Mystique" - was homophobic and biphobic and refused to acknowledge the struggles that bisexual and lesbian women experience. Today, a LOT of feminists refuse to acknowledge that trans women are even women at all, and continue to tell them that since they grew up with male privilege, that they shouldn't even be a part of feminism.

It's important to acknowledge, not because it's a new thing, but because the stratification continues to this day from the beginnings of the movement.

So many problems to solve. Focus on bringing black women, and trans women, and lesbians, 'up to par' with white women, or work to bring white women 'up to par' with white men, then bring the rest up later?

Needn't be either/or of course.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I see the "straw feminist" all the time. Someone is ranting about the manhating angry feminist that I have never once seen or encountered in the real world. I think these people should be challenged to produce the actual people they are claiming this stuff about.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Recently a video was posted about how a woman felt disregarded by feminists, has called out feminists for the lack of response and support, and most pointedly....expressed anger repeatedly throughout.

Many anti-feminists have applauded this womans anger. Suggesting that if she is angry, she has a right to be angry.

I agree that she has a right to be angry. I personally have a thing for outspoken women, as it is, but I totally support women who speak out, call out, and express rage at injustice.

I'd like to open discussion on the criticism thrown toward feminists that we are angry, as if 1) anger is proof of the lack of rational argument for our critique of a current status quo, and 2) anger is what makes us less approachable. That if we are angry, our anger is working against us, or that we shouldn't be angry.

I have a few questions for fellow feminists on RF for educational purposes and for better understanding...

- How do you respond to the criticism of the stereotype, and especially when during debates our emotional states are brought up as marks against us?
- Where is the stereotype most employed during debates and discussions?
- Do you see the stereotype utilized more or less as each Wave passes?
I don't know all the nuances, but I am familiar with the stereotype of the "angry feminist".

From my view it's one of those things that has an element of truth to it but then gets twisted, exaggerated, and used to belittle. I think some feminist groups do have a somewhat angry and unapproachable vibe to them, but others do not. I think second wave feminism has probably the strongest reputation for the angry feminist stereotype, as that is where radical feminism was rooted, as well as some types of feminism that assert that femininity as a gender expression itself is artificial and to be avoided. Sometimes dogmatically. But they also did accomplish a lot for women.

Certain types of anger I think are justifiable. Many women have been abused, mistreated, or otherwise hurt by men, and they sometimes respond with anger that they carry with them through life, and sometimes not always directed at the right people. That's a touchy subject to get into.

But certainly I don't think anger itself is evidence of a lack of argument. When anger comes off as passionate and directed appropriately, it can be powerful. It can motivate people. I've always been a detached sort of feminist, certainly willing to debate people when situations arise, usually in a very casual manner, but I'm not really part of any groups or anything, and I bet that a lot of the more passionate and outspoken activists of feminism have their passion come in part from anger of experiences they have had.

Anger is an appropriate response to injustice.

When women of color bring up the rates of rape and sexual assault as affecting them in far greater numbers and percentages than white women, or when women of color bring up police brutality, the wage gap between them and white women, etc.

Many times white feminists do not acknowledge the disparity or become annoyed that Black Feminism or Womanism is even a "thing."

It's the same gripe that egalitarians have toward feminism..."Why do you have to have a female-specific qualifier when it comes to equality? Aren't we ALL wanting equal rights?"

White feminists tend to ask Black Feminism and Womanism..."Why do you have to have a color-specific qualifer when it comes to equality? Aren't we ALL feminists and wanting equal rights?"

So when the issue is pressed again and again, because women of color keep bringing up their stories of injustice, too often white feminists or cis feminists (when trans people ask for solidarity on their fights against injustice) will dismiss, deride, or - worse- threaten women in intersectional concerns.
I get very annoyed when more privileged groups respond that way towards more oppressed groups.

Like how feminism seeks mainly to advance the rights and freedoms of women with an ultimate goal of egalitarianism, some opponents respond with saying it's unnecessary because people should just seek egalitarianism without specifiers. Or if people try to set up black groups, like maybe a Black Engineers Society or something, some people inevitably respond with, "Can you imagine the negative reaction that would happen if a White Engineer Society were set up? How is this any different?"

It's different because some groups already have so much privilege, and the journey towards egalitarianism means especially focusing on certain vulnerable groups. Yet some people that are currently in majority and privileged positions get threatened when the rights of others are emphasized.

Studies show that if you send out identical resumes, one group with white names and one group with black names, the black name group gets far fewer responses. Or, if you send out identical applications to professors for graduate research positions, the ones with female names get judged as being less qualified than the identical ones with male names. If you give sample investment IPOs to MBA students, the ones with female CEOs will receive a lower valuation than identical ones with male CEOs. Black women face an intersection of that sexism and racism that still exist in educated circles. And out of all violence towards LGBT people, it's transgender women of color that face like an order of magnitude more per-capita violence than the rest of the LGBT spectrum.

Some people like to say that America is mostly passed racism or sexism in educated circles and that it just comes down to individual merit now, but the raw numbers show otherwise. There continues to be downward pressure against certain groups compared to others. And giving those groups a voice makes sense, and realizing that their concerns, their intersections, have unique problems and unique solutions that may differ than larger movements as a whole, like broad feminism or broad egalitarianism.

And sometimes groups that are otherwise privileged, have special valid areas of concern as well. The vast majority of workplace injuries and deaths happen to men, for example, due in part to the gender differences in job statistics. And men still face a social bias when it comes to showing emotion and are conditioned not to. Boys, especially at early ages, have disproportionate problems in school, so attention and resources could help improve that. And there's an argument, valid in my opinion, that men are disadvantaged when it comes to gaining custody of children. I would totally support groups that emphasize these types of things to try to bring more attention to them.

Basically I think the idea that just a broad view of egalitarianism covers everything, just doesn't work. Certain minority or intersection groups do deserve extra focus, or at least deserve an understanding that their problems are different and may require different solutions.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
It's definitely a natural emotion. The strawman has been used everywhere, including RF....by suggesting to feminists that they're "too emotional", or "venting doesn't address my point" (just a couple recent examples here).

I hate such dismissals, particularly since the point often is addressed.

I see far more anger, rape threats, and death threats from the anti-feminist crowd than I do from feminists. However, it's important to note that women of color do see a lot of anger from white feminists toward them when they address Black Feminist or Womanist issues. It's also important to note when feminists direct anger inward toward other marginalized feminists....such as trans people, non-binary people, or the disabled....that it's part of the issues that make up intersectionality.

If there IMO is a legitimate criticism about anger within feminism, it's that, since all feminists are doing at that point is trading oppressions.

I would agree. I see the same kind of behavior in much of nerd culture. Those who were bullied and oppressed have, in recent years, become oppressors themselves by taking on exclusionary practices.

Likewise, I've seen some people who don't identify specifically as feminists, or even deny themselves the label for whatever reason, who are perfectly reasonable and inclusive. I think of them as feminists in all but name.

People are people with all the flaws therein. I certainly don't necessarily agree with everything the feminists I follow have said.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
So many problems to solve. Focus on bringing black women, and trans women, and lesbians, 'up to par' with white women, or work to bring white women 'up to par' with white men, then bring the rest up later?

Needn't be either/or of course.

Indeed.

I think there's quite a few things that are reflected in privileged groups from sphere to sphere. Of course, uneducated poor white men are marginalized more than rich educated white men, and therefore will have a blind spot when realizations of socio-economic advantages are presented to them in comparisons to women and minorities. For many, they simply don't see it. I don't think it's a fault, per se, but the inability to see it at all or the inability to see the impact on others speaks to the normalization of stratifying and only seeing people in our "level" of demographic importance and above.

Normalizing the invisibility of others who are more disadvantaged is deeply ingrained. So, it's quite a feat to be able to bring people UP to the rights and liberties and protections as others on the totem pole when we can finally address the people on the lower ends really are getting the **** end of the stick. AND understanding that inherently, this isn't ethical.

The same thing happens with the intersectional aspects of social justice movements like feminism. White educated middle class feminist women tend to see themselves as the default voice for everyone, and that they are on the lowest end of the totem pole and the most marginalized right alongside someone, say, who is a trans woman of color. When we do just that, it's no surprise that black feminists and womanists speak up and call out white feminists for the very same micro-aggressions that we call men out for.

We really need to do better.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I don't know all the nuances, but I am familiar with the stereotype of the "angry feminist".

From my view it's one of those things that has an element of truth to it but then gets twisted, exaggerated, and used to belittle. I think some feminist groups do have a somewhat angry and unapproachable vibe to them, but others do not. I think second wave feminism has probably the strongest reputation for the angry feminist stereotype, as that is where radical feminism was rooted, as well as some types of feminism that assert that femininity as a gender expression itself is artificial and to be avoided. Sometimes dogmatically. But they also did accomplish a lot for women.

I believe Second Wave feminists had a larger platform than the suffragettes did and were able to reach a larger audience...AND our mothers feminism is dealing with our generations platforms in support of wearing lipstick and heels while calling ourselves feminists. :p

I do agree with you, in that a lot of RadFems have historically carved out more space for gender expression to have the variability we have today.

Certain types of anger I think are justifiable. Many women have been abused, mistreated, or otherwise hurt by men, and they sometimes respond with anger that they carry with them through life, and sometimes not always directed at the right people. That's a touchy subject to get into.

Certainly. One of the difficult discussions is when some separatists truly wish to have a safe space for them and them only. We have, ourselves in our group, a safe space just for survivors. It became difficult when a male survivor who also assaulted another woman in his past wished to join the safe space....how do we as a group address this? It's the overall desire to be inclusive, but when the vast majority of survivors being women who are still working through their own triggers, and who express acute feelings of being extremely unsafe being in the same space as a former abuser....talk about touchy subjects.

He wants a place to go. So do the women survivors of male abusers. Dang...we just need more resources. I dunno. That's been difficult to solve. But the anger expressed by the women survivors? Totally, definitely justifiable.

But certainly I don't think anger itself is evidence of a lack of argument. When anger comes off as passionate and directed appropriately, it can be powerful. It can motivate people. I've always been a detached sort of feminist, certainly willing to debate people when situations arise, usually in a very casual manner, but I'm not really part of any groups or anything, and I bet that a lot of the more passionate and outspoken activists of feminism have their passion come in part from anger of experiences they have had.

Anger is an appropriate response to injustice.

Truth!!

I get very annoyed when more privileged groups respond that way towards more oppressed groups.

Like how feminism seeks mainly to advance the rights and freedoms of women with an ultimate goal of egalitarianism, some opponents respond with saying it's unnecessary because people should just seek egalitarianism without specifiers. Or if people try to set up black groups, like maybe a Black Engineers Society or something, some people inevitably respond with, "Can you imagine the negative reaction that would happen if a White Engineer Society were set up? How is this any different?"

It's different because some groups already have so much privilege, and the journey towards egalitarianism means especially focusing on certain vulnerable groups. Yet some people that are currently in majority and privileged positions get threatened when the rights of others are emphasized.

Studies show that if you send out identical resumes, one group with white names and one group with black names, the black name group gets far fewer responses. Or, if you send out identical applications to professors for graduate research positions, the ones with female names get judged as being less qualified than the identical ones with male names. If you give sample investment IPOs to MBA students, the ones with female CEOs will receive a lower valuation than identical ones with male CEOs. Black women face an intersection of that sexism and racism that still exist in educated circles. And out of all violence towards LGBT people, it's transgender women of color that face like an order of magnitude more per-capita violence than the rest of the LGBT spectrum.

Some people like to say that America is mostly passed racism or sexism in educated circles and that it just comes down to individual merit now, but the raw numbers show otherwise. There continues to be downward pressure against certain groups compared to others. And giving those groups a voice makes sense, and realizing that their concerns, their intersections, have unique problems and unique solutions that may differ than larger movements as a whole, like broad feminism or broad egalitarianism.

Damn....I love it when you express what I feel so much better than how I could possibly express it. :)

And sometimes groups that are otherwise privileged, have special valid areas of concern as well. The vast majority of workplace injuries and deaths happen to men, for example, due in part to the gender differences in job statistics. And men still face a social bias when it comes to showing emotion and are conditioned not to. Boys, especially at early ages, have disproportionate problems in school, so attention and resources could help improve that. And there's an argument, valid in my opinion, that men are disadvantaged when it comes to gaining custody of children. I would totally support groups that emphasize these types of things to try to bring more attention to them.

Basically I think the idea that just a broad view of egalitarianism covers everything, just doesn't work. Certain minority or intersection groups do deserve extra focus, or at least deserve an understanding that their problems are different and may require different solutions.

Yes yes yes yes and YES.

Kirran

Premium Member
Indeed.

I think there's quite a few things that are reflected in privileged groups from sphere to sphere. Of course, uneducated poor white men are marginalized more than rich educated white men, and therefore will have a blind spot when realizations of socio-economic advantages are presented to them in comparisons to women and minorities. For many, they simply don't see it. I don't think it's a fault, per se, but the inability to see it at all or the inability to see the impact on others speaks to the normalization of stratifying and only seeing people in our "level" of demographic importance and above.

Normalizing the invisibility of others who are more disadvantaged is deeply ingrained. So, it's quite a feat to be able to bring people UP to the rights and liberties and protections as others on the totem pole when we can finally address the people on the lower ends really are getting the **** end of the stick. AND understanding that inherently, this isn't ethical.

The same thing happens with the intersectional aspects of social justice movements like feminism. White educated middle class feminist women tend to see themselves as the default voice for everyone, and that they are on the lowest end of the totem pole and the most marginalized right alongside someone, say, who is a trans woman of color. When we do just that, it's no surprise that black feminists and womanists speak up and call out white feminists for the very same micro-aggressions that we call men out for.

We really need to do better.

Not to for one second say 'feminists need men for feminism to work' like that guy you talked about. But in a way, people of the most privileged demographics (I'm a middle class (which means something different in the UK) white-appearing person socialised and outwardly appearing as a man) who do realise that privilege, and get involved in the feminist movement, and other egalitarian movements, are coming at things with a position of everybody being advocated for being at lower 'rungs' i.e. having less privilege.

So there isn't room, once they've joined the movement, to say that they're going to ignore the people 'below' them and only advocate for their own group's rights. Once you're advocating for egalitarianism from this angle, that's it. By virtue of being in the movement, you're looking out for people who have a lower social status, whereas a woman, for example, joining this movement wouldn't necessarily have that mindset - they could just be looking to improve the rights of middle class white women.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
- How do you respond to the criticism of the stereotype, and especially when during debates our emotional states are brought up as marks against us?
The way I usually respond is by saying that there are some feminists that may fit the stereotype but I point out that it is a stereotype and does not respresent the entire group. No personification does I don't think.