• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fellow Christians: What Do You Make of These Verses?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Isaiah 45:21 Declare and present your case; let them take counsel together! Who told this long ago? Who declared it of old? Was it not I, the LORD? And there is no other god besides me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none besides me.

Isaiah 43:11 I, I am the LORD, and besides me there is no savior.

Hosea 13:4 But I am the LORD your God from the land of Egypt; you know no God but me, and besides me there is no savior.

There are many more in various books in the same vein. What do you think? Most Christians believe that Jesus/Yeshua is God, so that would cover that. But what about others who believe in Yahweh, what about them?
What do you think?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I just finished a very intensive study of the Book of Isaiah, and some of these verses just "leaped" out at me.

Isaiah 45:21 Declare and present your case; let them take counsel together! Who told this long ago? Who declared it of old? Was it not I, the LORD? And there is no other god besides me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none besides me.

Hosea 13:4 But I am the LORD your God from the land of Egypt; you know no God but me, and besides me there is no savior.

There are many more in various books in the same vein. What do you think? Most Christians believe that Jesus/Yeshua is God, so that would cover that. But what about others who believe in Yahweh, what about them?
What do you think?

I found this.Hope it helps.

"Savior: Repeatedly the Scriptures refer to God as Savior. At Isaiah 43:11 God even says: “Besides me there is no savior.” Since Jesus is also referred to as Savior, are God and Jesus the same? Not at all. Titus 1:3, 4 speaks of “God our Savior,” and then of both “God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.” So, both persons are saviors. Jude 25 shows the relationship, saying: “God, our Savior through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Italics added.) (See also Acts 13:23.) At Judges 3:9, the same Hebrew word (moh·shiʹa‛, rendered “savior” or “deliverer”) that is used at Isaiah 43:11is applied to Othniel, a judge in Israel, but that certainly did not make Othniel Jehovah, did it? A reading of Isaiah 43:1-12 shows that verse 11 means that Jehovah alone was the One who provided salvation, or deliverance, for Israel; that salvation did not come from any of the gods of the surrounding nations."

LIBRARY

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

This thread is for Christians only. Please observe Rule 10 and avoid posting in this thread if you are not a Christian.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

What do you think?

Hi.
When I say that ''Jesus is God'', I am saying that God, YHWH, manifested through Jesu. I realize now that not everyone was understanding me.
So, anyways, those verses are just stating that God is one, there is only one deity. I don't see any problem with those verses.
ps I don't use Isaiah as a necessary justification for Jesu the man, so if I missed another point of this thread, it's because of that.

the moderators can see into your soul. if they say you are not a Christian thenyou better believe them

They are like the Men in Black.They make people disappear.The person in question was here one minute, and gone the next.Erased comment.

mib1.jpg

Kolibri

At Judges 3:9, the same Hebrew word (moh·shiʹa‛, rendered “savior” or “deliverer”) that is used at Isaiah 43:11is applied to Othniel, a judge in Israel, but that certainly did not make Othniel Jehovah, did it?

Interesting point about Othniel. There could be more than one savior, one being an instrument of the other. But among the set of 'Gods' worshipped in and around the ancient nation of Israel, there was only one God that could rightly claim that title.

Often when Jehovah would send a famine into the land or a drought it was tailored not only as a sign of his displeasure, but as proof that the Gods being worshipped thru idols had no power in the sphere of influence that they were supposed to have. The same was true with the 10 plagues in Egypt. It was a 'revealing' of the lack of saving power in their false gods.

Last edited:
Interesting point about Othniel. There could be more than one savior, one being an instrument of the other. But among the set of 'Gods' worshipped in and around the ancient nation of Israel, there was only one God that could rightly claim that title.

Often when Jehovah would send a famine into the land or a drought it was tailored not only as a sign of his displeasure, but as proof that the Gods being worshipped thru idols had no power in the sphere of influence that they were supposed to have. The same was true with the 10 plagues in Egypt. It was a 'revealing' of the lack of saving power in their false gods.

I remember my brother pointing out to me, some time back, how the 10 plagues were against the 10 specific gods of Egypt.Jehovah showed them all just how useless their gods were.

Screen Shot 2015-05-25 at 10.36.55 PM.png

http://www.biblecharts.org/oldtestament/thetenplagues.pdf

raph

Jesus was sent by the Lord. If Jesus is a saviour then still all credit belongs to the Lord, who sent him.

Sry if you want delete this post. I thought it is for people who believe in YHWH

12jtartar

Premium Member

What do you think?

ChristineES,
Because most Bibles have decided to leave God's name out of His word, there is confusion as to whom The Almighty God, who created everything, and gave life to all is.
Most Bibles have followed the rule of translating God's Hebrew Name, YHWH or JHVH, to either LORD, or GOD, notice, with all Capital letters. Every place that you see LORD or GOD, in all capital letters, the Tetragrammaton, YHWH, was there in The Original Autographs.
Some Bibles that try to be literal translations have kept God's name in His book, where it belongs, the American Standard Bible, Young's Literal Translation, Darby's translation, and some of the Modern King James Versions, and many of the very old translations, are examples.
One scripture very close to the ones you used is reveling, Isa 42:8, which says, I am Jehovah, that is my NAME. Now we know that neither lord nor God is a name, but a title.
The Almighty God's name is Jehovah!!! That name is even in the KJV four times, Ex 6:3, Ps 83:18, Isa 12:2, 26:4.
God, Jehovah had several names recorded for Himself, but all these other names are, Proper Adjective names, but the NAME Jehovah is God's Proper NAME, Jehovah,a name that only He can properly carry, because it means, He Causes To Become. No one in existence can rightly bear that name.
God's Proper Name was in the Original Autographs over 7,000 times. Bible translators will eventually answer for removing God's name from His own book, The Holy Bible.

rusra02

Premium Member

What do you think?

Whenever LORD appears in all capital letters, this indicates the divine name Jehovah has been replaced with the word LORD. Removing God's unique name obscures the meaning of scriptures, IMO. I think it is a disgraceful practice with no honorable intent. (Jeremiah 23:27)

Kolibri

The last two posts reminded me of these quotes found in the article linked.

A spokesman for the Protestant-sponsored New International Version, published in English in 1978, wrote: “Jehovah is a distinctive name for God and ideally we should have used it. But we put 21⁄4 million dollars into this translation and a sure way of throwing that down the drain is to translate, for example, Psalm 23 as, ‘Yahweh is my shepherd.’”

In addition, churches have hindered Latin Americans from knowing God by name. Steven Voth, a translation consultant for the United Bible Societies (UBS), writes: “One of the ongoing debates in Latin American Protestant circles revolves around the use of the name Jehová . . . Interestingly enough, a very large and growing neo-pentecostal church . . . said they wanted a Reina-Valera 1960 edition, but without the name Jehová. Instead, they wanted the word Señor [Lord].” According to Voth, the UBS rejected this request at first but later gave in and published an edition of the Reina-Valera Bible “without the word Jehová.”
- The Challenge of Knowing God by Name — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometimes the reason is commercial. The belief that a Bible with God's name used would not sell. I am also reminded of this proverb:

Buy (or "acquire.") truth and never sell it,
Also wisdom and disciple and understanding.
- Proverbs 23:23

Usually though we read a standardized reason for keeping God's name removed associated with a Jewish tradition of not uttering God's name. We can read about God's own thoughts on that matter here:

"'I have heard prophets who are prophesying lies in my name saying, "I had a dream! I had a dream!" How long will this continue in the heart of the prophets, to prophesy lies? They are prophets of the deceit of their own heart. They intend to make my people forget my name by the dreams they relate to one another, just as their fathers forgot my name because of Ba'al. Let the prophet who has a dream relate the dream, but the one who has my word should speak my word truthfully.'"
- Jeremiah 23:25-28a

Jehovah does not want us to forget.

Johnlove

(Matthew 5:17) “Do not imagine that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have come not to abolish but to complete them. I tell you solemnly, till heaven and earth disappear, not one dot, not one little stroke, shall disappear from the Law until its purpose is achieved.”

The Old Law has been completed, and has disappeared

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Whenever LORD appears in all capital letters, this indicates the divine name Jehovah has been replaced with the word LORD. Removing God's unique name obscures the meaning of scriptures, IMO. I think it is a disgraceful practice with no honorable intent. (Jeremiah 23:27)
What does that have to do with what I asked?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What I was wanting to ask was the word "Savior". Isaiah says that God alone is Savior, but Christians/Followers & Disciples of Yeshua call Yeshua/Jesus "Savior".

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
(Matthew 5:17) “Do not imagine that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have come not to abolish but to complete them. I tell you solemnly, till heaven and earth disappear, not one dot, not one little stroke, shall disappear from the Law until its purpose is achieved.”

The Old Law has been completed, and has disappeared
That's not what the Messianic Jews I speak to say. We have a Messianic Jew in my Sunday School class and he still follows all the Jewish Holidays and Laws. I don't think be believes that Christians who are not Jewish are bound by them, but I'd have to ask him.

rusra02

Premium Member
What I was wanting to ask was the word "Savior". Isaiah says that God alone is Savior, but Christians/Followers & Disciples of Yeshua call Yeshua/Jesus "Savior".

Jehovah is our Savior, and he appointed Christ to be the means by which we must get saved. Luke 2:30 describes Jesus as God's "means of salvation." To illustrate, a lifeguard captain spots a swimmer in trouble from his guard tower. He sends a lifeguard to help the drowning swimmer. Both are involved in the rescue and both can be rightly credited with saving the person. Titus 1:3,4 says; "he made his word known through the preaching entrusted to me according to the command of our Savior, God; to Titus, a genuine child according to the faith we share:
May you have undeserved kindness and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior." Both are saviors, Jesus being sent by his God and Father to rescue us from sin and death. (John 3:16)
No false gods can save themselves much less anyone else. Only the true God can save us.