• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

feeling beat up

pat ruth

the newspaper drug my sons name through the mud per the distric attorneys words after his conviction of a dwi. ok, my problem is personally feeling beat down and depressed because the words werecrule to the family name along with his 50 year sentence for dwi. how do i forgive them and show my face in this small home town

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Pat, I have to ask, was this his first DUI/DWI? 50 years seems pretty harsh unless there are repeat offenses.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
50 years for a DWI?

(Forgive me if I read that wrong. A rather nasty cold plus a lack of sleep may be messing with my comprehension.)

MSizer

MSizer
50 yrs is insane. I hope that's a typo. When I was in high school my uncle was a jail guard, and he was accused of doing something to an inmate that dragged him through court for over a year. My father is a fairly widely known man in his community (of course mine then too) and the papers took every chance they could to print the family name. It was hard. My uncle was eventually acquited, but only a mall single paragraph near the back of the paper was printed to mention that news. I have a bit of a sense of what it's like to go through it, though maybe not quite directly as you. In my case, when people would ask if it was my dad, I would simply tell them, "no, it's my uncle" and keep my head up. I found that if I let myself feel shame, no benefit would come, and it would only be worse. That was the key for me in my situation - to remember that it wasn't me personally, and that I can't prevent people from making judgements, so all there was to do was keep my head up. Good luck.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I have seen sentences like that for repeat offenders. But then again, there are some who have gotten away with it to many times to count.

Draka

Wonder Woman
As for the newspaper...I have had experience with that. Actually, in my case the reporter covering the issue made up a bunch of stuff that wasn't even close to the truth and misquoted a bunch of people...including me...so I know. I went to the newspaper to complain and you know what I was told? The reporter could write anything they like. If that's what they got out of the trial that's what they got out of the trial. I couldn't believe that. I was so ******. I had no idea what to do. Couldn't afford a lawyer and the ones I had dealt with were crappy lawyers anyway. i still don't read that newspaper for any real news. At least not local. Because it's obvious they aren't really concerned with what is fact or not.