• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fear of homosexuality

We Never Know

No Slack

I think that is bogus crapola. A fear of something is simply a fear; an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.

Do people who fear spiders secretly like spiders or hide they are a spider?

Do people who fear snakes secretly like snakes or hide they are a snake?

shmogie

I think culture also plays a role. For instance, regardless of religion, many African cultures are dead against homosexuality. They will sometimes kill them.

The below article shows that in most of Africa and the Middle East homosexuality is a crime.:

Where being gay is illegal around world - CNN
You mean this response wasn´t the result of some Christian in the woodpile somewhere in Africa ?

Gads, you will rock North American homosexuals to the core, their narrative apparently doesn´t work in other parts of the world.

Who is their boogy man in Africa, one wonders. Could it be an entire culture geared to exclusion and violence toward homosexuals ?

Certainly despicable behavior, but in these PC times, can an entire culture, especially one that is represented as downtrodden, be responsible ?

shmogie

We can all agree that it's what men said
were the words of god.
No, Just as a lawyer is totally representative of his client, and his words are as if the client spoke them, God spoke the words of the Bible.

You and others may find this incongruous, but really, that doesn´t change anything.

You have your beliefs and opinions, I have mine.

Audie

Veteran Member
I think that is bogus crapola. A fear of something is simply a fear; an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.

Do people who fear spiders secretly like spiders or hide they are a spider?

Do people who fear snakes secretly like snakes or hide they are a snake?

Think away about bogus crapola, but I presented
some reasonably trustworthy sources, of which there
are many more, and you offered an opinion.

the thing about spiders and snakes is silly and irrelevant.

There is nothing new or surprising about self hate,
or turning it outwards onto other people.
Christians are trained, in some cases, to loathe
homosexuality, as you well know. You also know
that self-awareness is not everyone's thing. And
that denial is a commonplace.

Nothing new about some big preacher going on about
sin, and next thing he is arrested with a prostitute.
Or he has embezzled from his flock.

It is pretty much a truisms that the more they shot and
declaim about how bad those others are, you can
pretty much figure they are talking about themselves.

Audie

Veteran Member
No, Just as a lawyer is totally representative of his client, and his words are as if the client spoke them, God spoke the words of the Bible.

You and others may find this incongruous, but really, that doesn´t change anything.

You have your beliefs and opinions, I have mine.

As long as it is stated as your opinion, not as
facts not in evidence "God spoke the words of the Bible"

Incongruous is not the word I would use, but
in the event, it is still what they said god told 'em to write.
Even if he did.

You are not, btw, saying that god spoke all of
those words?
Surely he is not credited with "'whither thou goest, I
will go".

We Never Know

No Slack

Thinking/saying someone that doesn't like homosexuals is secretly hiding their homosexual side is silly.
How about someone who doesn't like jews or blacks. Are they secretly hiding their love for them?

We Never Know

No Slack

Preacher's are humans like the rest of us. Thinking they won't sin because they are a preacher is naive.

Wasp

Thinking/saying someone that doesn't like homosexuals is secretly hiding their homosexual side silly.
How about someone who doesn't like jews or blacks. Are they secretly hiding their love for them?
No. They're hiding they are Jewish, or black.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Statistically unlikely. And not entirely logical either.

Actually statistically very likely.

1200px-Kinsey_Scale.svg.png

The Kinsey scale tells that only around 14% of the population is completely straight. Everyone else, to some degree, has some homosexual feelings

Audie

Veteran Member
Thinking/saying someone that doesn't like homosexuals is secretly hiding their homosexual side is silly.

Again disirrelevant but, hey, suture self. I dont
care if you understand the principle of not.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
You mean this response wasn´t the result of some Christian in the woodpile somewhere in Africa ?

Gads, you will rock North American homosexuals to the core, their narrative apparently doesn´t work in other parts of the world.

Who is their boogy man in Africa, one wonders. Could it be an entire culture geared to exclusion and violence toward homosexuals ?

Certainly despicable behavior, but in these PC times, can an entire culture, especially one that is represented as downtrodden, be responsible ?

No it isn't actually. Having spoken to various people from different African countries, whether Christian or follow the traditional religion of their tribe, many dislike homosexuality. Some even say it is a "white man thing".

It is also interesting that the Middle East and the majority of North Africa is influenced by Islam, and Islam is against homosexuality as from what I understand Sharia requires the killing of homosexuals, such as is the example of Brunei.

In South Africa, where I am from, in which Cape Town is sometimes said to be the homosexual capital of the world, there are many from indigenous African tribes who are Homosexual,such as Xhosa and Zulu's, as it is accepted here to an extent. Then again, it is more western than other African countries.

I suspect it is the culture itself and the traditions. They definitely contribute to the issue but I don't know whether it is the whole of it.

I think that comparing their laws to other downtrodden nations can explain whether it is ingrained in the culture, as the question is "why is it mainly in those nations and not the other downtrodden ones around the world that enforces this?".

Even well educated people, such as those from Kenya, Nigeria and Zimbabwe, the three most well educated countries in Africa, have a prejudice towards homosexuality as they don't understand it. They think it is weird.

I would actually have to read more on it to explain further besides my experiences with the many who I have encountered.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Persoally i am not against homosexual people as people but the sexual act is in my view between man and woman since sex is about how to get childen.
But then it is the same with straight people. They can't fool me they are "trying" continuously to make babies (while using the pill).

Last edited: