• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fear and Its Opposite

Gargovic Malkav

I don't think there's an emotional opposite. Knowledge isn't an emotion, and further, knowledge of what I fear doesn't lessen my fear, it just defines it. Gives it a shape, maybe.

I like that you think about these things, and make me think too. But in the moment of fear, if it's a danger-based fear, I think our reaction is often (usually? always?) down to instinct. Our subconscious will act before we're even cognizant of it.

In my experience, I don't think knowledge is necessarily a remedy against fear either.
On the contrary, increasing awareness made me worry more and more.
One of the reasons, or perhaps pretty much THE reason why my early childhood was so great in my memory, is because I had virtually nothing to worry about.
Nor did society expect anything better of me, because I was just a little kid.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
In my experience, I don't think knowledge is necessarily a remedy against fear either.
On the contrary, increasing awareness made me worry more and more.

That's a great point. Thanks for taking it beyond mine. You remind me of a saying: "what you focus on, grows."

I know focus =/= knowledge, but I'd say the pursuit of knowledge includes awareness and focus. Anyone who's dealt with anxiety knows it well...

One of the reasons, or perhaps pretty much THE reason why my early childhood was so great in my memory, is because I had virtually nothing to worry about.
Nor did society expect anything better of me, because I was just a little kid.

I'm glad you had the good fortune to have a childhood with virtually no worries.

For those with lives far different, there's something called learned helplessness. It's a kind of learned apathy as the result of averse conditions, and I could see how a lack of fear could evolve, based on a belief that nothing matters anymore, not even the things one fears.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I am under the impression that like the dualistic nature of the perceived universe itself, every emotion has an opposite that can balance it.
Polarity is not dualistic. There's shades of gray in the middle and outside of it. Morning vs night well between the two is twlight. Life vs death well when does life begin and end...a question of debate. Perhaps fear has no opposite. In my college classes I learned there are two types of emotions primary and secondary. Secondary emotions only exist after the primary emotions. Fear is a primary emotion.
1699829101069.png

There's also a theory regarding wheels. Here is one such wheel
1699829161270.png

Emotions are not black and white polar. They are colourful polar. A wheel if you will.

Dao Hao Now

I am under the impression that like the dualistic nature of the perceived universe itself, every emotion has an opposite that can balance it.

What is the source of the impression that you are under?
Could it be skewed?

If what you are seeking is what can mitigate one’s fears;
I would suggest that it would depend on the cause of the particular fear.

Of course there is no guarantee of mitigating all fears……some are quite justified.

InChrist

Free4ever
Fear is a powerful and driving emotion...

One of the most powerful forces a human deals with on the psychic and spiritual realm.

We see fear used to direct and control groups of people all the time within modern politics and even religion.

But what is the opposite of Fear?

I've heard some say it's Love, but doing something because you love another or yourself, does not negate the fear.

Courage? I don't think it's that either because even the brave and courageous are often still fearful.

I propose that the opposite of Fear is actually knowledge and understanding.
Because it is through knowledge that the fear of a thing or an event begins to lessen.
I don’t know what that exact opposite human emotion or quality of fear is, but whenever I think of or feel fearful, I remember the biblical verse below…

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 1 John 4:28

In my perspective God is the Source of perfect love; Love that has the power to eliminate fear. So maybe the opposite of fear is trust in God Love, which is greater than fear.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
What is the source of the impression that you are under?
Personal experiences
Could it be skewed?
As much as anything else.
If what you are seeking is what can mitigate one’s fears;
I would suggest that it would depend on the cause of the particular fear.
Of course.
Of course there is no guarantee of mitigating all fears……some are quite justified.

Justified or not, what's the yin to its yang?

Dao Hao Now

Personal experiences

As much as anything else.

Of course.

Justified or not, what's the yin to its yang?
If you mean by “what’s the yin to the yang?”-
What would oppose or cancel out fear?
Or what would conquer or mitigate fear?…….

You already seem to agree to already know when you answer “of course” when I suggest that it depends on the cause of the fear…..
In order to conquer or mitigate the fear in question, you would need to rectify or eliminate that cause.
Of course this is not always within your control, thus making that fear justified.

I would suggest possibly re-examining your impression of a dualistic universe and that emotions would have “opposite” that balances it by canceling it out.
In my experience, the dualistic notion of a black and white concept of things rarely if ever pans out.
It seems more usual to find a sliding scale associated with things the more they are understood.
There is rarely a clear defined border but usually a fuzzy transition zone instead.
Unfortunately this often leads to semantics.

As an interesting(?) aside.
The original concept of yin-yang is not one of opposites, or that one cancels the other out.
It is not black and white as in often misconstrued by westerners.
It’s rather light and dark where each defines the other, perpetuating each other, where one cannot exist without the other.
You can’t have light without dark, hot without cold, up without down etc.
The concept of the first (light, hot, up, etc) requires the concept of the other (dark, cold, down, etc,) in order to exist.
They are co-dependent.
You will notice in the yin-yang symbol there is dark within the light, and light within the dark.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I propose that the opposite of Fear is actually knowledge and understanding.
Because it is through knowledge that the fear of a thing or an event begins to lessen.
I disagree, rather wholeheartedly too.

Imo, It is through knowledge and understanding that fear ripens.

If ignorance is bliss, then what is knowledge? Do you believe that ignorance is bliss? I do.

Does knowledge of death lessen the fear of it? Imagine if you did not know you would die. How could you fear it?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
If you mean by “what’s the yin to the yang?”-
What would oppose or cancel out fear?
Or what would conquer or mitigate fear?…….

Balance, not cancel. Yin does not cancel yang, they coexist, a give and take that balances.

I'm not looking for what is considered opposite as in cancels out, but opposite as in brings into balance. Everything has a polarity.

Sorry for not reading the rest of your post. I am rather taxed mentally today.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I disagree, rather wholeheartedly too.

Imo, It is through knowledge and understanding that fear ripens.

If ignorance is bliss, then what is knowledge? Do you believe that ignorance is bliss? I do.
Ignorance is only bliss until some you never fathomed, or weren't aware of scares you.

Does knowledge of death lessen the fear of it?
Yes it does.
Imagine if you did not know you would die. How could you fear it?

It's unexpected occurrence would bring fear. Knowledge of it allows confrontation of it's existence.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I'd generally agree with this.

Fear, or "concern" as we often like to put it in today's world, is a product of a combination of uncertainty and expecting the universe to somehow revolve around one's personal needs all the time (e.g., to never be personally inconvenienced). The moment you let go of the expectation for the universe to revolve around yourself and instead go with the flow of things - calmness - there is no fear. Another way to frame it might be to talk about cultivating non-attachment, as in Buddhism, or letting go of the sense of self.

Calmness or non-attachment only seems to occur in the absence of fear, so this cannot be what causes its occurrence imo. What brings about the absence of fear that creates the balance we call calm?

Dao Hao Now

I'm not looking for what is considered opposite as in cancels out, but opposite as in brings into balance. Everything has a polarity.
What is it you mean by polarity?

I would challenge the duality concept that emotions have an equal and opposite counterpart.

Sorry for not reading the rest of your post. I am rather taxed mentally today.
Did you get to …
“You already seem to agree to already know when you answer “of course” when I suggest that it depends on the cause of the fear…..”?

In other words there is not a singular counterbalance to fear.

Fear can have many causes.
The cause may well be different for different fears.

Fear of the unknown may be relieved by gaining knowledge as others have suggested.
Fear of an abusive spouse may be relieved by their imprisonment.
Fear of dying alone may be relieved by companionship.
Fear of public speaking my be relieved by habituating oneself to doing so.
Etc., etc.
None of these require an “opposite” emotion.

Emotions are rooted in the subconscious and are useful tools that facilitate our survival.
They are in and of themselves not good or bad, they can be both or neither.

Fear of edges prevents us from falling off buildings. ……good?
Fear of rejection can prevent us from meeting that special someone……bad?
Fear of the dark can makes always leave a light on…….. good/bad? neither?

Fear is what puts us on alert to dangers.
Some are rational and and out of our control to rectify.
Some are emotional and not rational and become phobias for some.
Some can be remedied depending the cause.

Calmness or non-attachment only seems to occur in the absence of fear, so this cannot be what causes its occurrence imo. What brings about the absence of fear that creates the balance we call calm?
Is it the assumption of polarity that causes this disconnect?

“Bring into balance” generally means 2 opposing forces of equal strength preventing either from dominating the other but instead reaching an equilibrium.

Your “absence of fear that creates the balance we call calm” is not a balancing of fear, but by your own admission, rather the elimination (canceling) of fear in order to achieve the “absence” that induces the calm….thus no other equal opposing emotion.
Simply the absence of the single emotion of fear.
No duality….unless of course you consider
fear/no fear a duality.