• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

favourite hour of the day?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
What is your favourite hour of the day?

My favourite hour of the day is the 23rd hour

The one that starts at 11pm

I like it because it is a good time to go to bed, the day feels over at 23:00

It is also the traditional time that the pubs close in the UK

It is late, but not absurdly late

And you have 60 minutes until a new day begins

I like it

Edit: 10pm is also good

2300 isn't bad. But I also like dawn and dusk hours, the transition points.

In the modern world 3am is often also very peaceful and quiet.

I love midday in the summer.

So, long story short. It depends. :p

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't get this. How the heck can dinner last that long? I'm speaking of regular mid-week dinner, not a dinner party. There is no way anyone can continuously eat that long. What else is going on?

Look up slow food. Food and conversation to enjoy

RestlessSoul

Why are the French not as fat as Americans? Is it because they all still smoke tobacco? (I know, cliche stereotypes}

They spend a lot of time at table, but they spend most of it talking to each other. And they eat small portions.

MikeF

Premium Member
They don't eat that long.

5 or 7 small courses spread over 2 or 3 hours with conversation breaks in between.

They spend a lot of time at table, but they spend most of it talking to each other. And they eat small portions.

For my family, these describe holiday get togethers, or other family or friend gatherings in which those at table are not people you see and interact with every day.

If we are talking about an every day occurrence with the same people, such a custom would not fit my personality ... at all. Not that much changes in a twenty-four hour period that requires a 3 hour airing. Having everyone together at dinnertime was important, almost mandatory, but it is a one hour event. There were still things to do after dinner and before bed.

While there are those in my extended family who have the capacity to talk non-stop for three hours daily, I do not have the capacity to listen to it. :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
For my family, these describe holiday get togethers, or other family or friend gatherings in which those at table are not people you see and interact with every day.

If we are talking about an every day occurrence with the same people, such a custom would not fit my personality ... at all. Not that much changes in a twenty-four hour period that requires a 3 hour airing. Having everyone together at dinnertime was important, almost mandatory, but it is a one hour event. There were still things to do after dinner and before bed.

While there are those in my extended family who have the capacity to talk non-stop for three hours daily, I do not have the capacity to listen to it. :)

Formal dinners would be perhaps 100 people from the village and surrounding area. Different clubs hold 2 per year, if you are a member of all the clubs it could be that you attend one of these do's once or twice per month. We attend 6 times oer year, mostly in winter.

Dinner at a restaurant can easily take a couple of hours even if its only family. Though most times it will be with friends whom we have often not seen all year.

And household dinners, are a chance to catch up with the childrens school/college day, time just fly's