• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite Books

LongGe123

I just posted something on the "current reading" thread - so I thought I'd just write something else about some of the best books I've read in the past.

When I was in my final 2 years of school (the 6th form for UK people who understand the system), I was privileged enough to be able to study "1984" in my English Lit class. We studied it along with "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, and did comparative essays on the books. I got an A! haha! (Note: in 6th form, A+ or A* is impossible, so I couldn't have done any better :p)

"1984" I can honestly say is one of the only books to really really make me think and perhaps even change me a bit. After finishing it, I also read "Animal Farm", during one particularly quiet shift at work one day. That too was a truly magnificent story. "1984" deals with so many themes that really interest me, like concepts of Political regimes, propaganda, the destruction of the English Language, and then there's all the allusions to communism and fascism. As a politics undergraduate these things of course really interest me. The book offers so much for discussion, so many dark and disturbing possibilities, particularly when you can show that the world already posseses similar features to the book. It is also the only book I've ever read which made me jump (in shock). When the lovers are together in the room, and the voice comes from behind the mirror (oh christ, was it a mirror or a picture?), that actually did make me jump. Amazing ey?

Here's another great one: "Birdsong" by Sebastian Faulks, a story centred around the First World War, but also with parts set in the 1970s. A graphic and harrowing story of love and war, every page a masterpiece.

I've come to find that so many books that seem to be "universally" considered masterful, are actually complete tosh! "The Hitch-Hiker's guide to the Galaxy" is NOT funny, and it's NOT interesting, in my opinion at least. What is it that gives them such a name with people who haven't even read them for themselves? Just like Shakespeare. As an English scholar I shouldn't bash the work of this great man of letters, but quite a few of his plays ARE pants. I think it's important to remember that there has never been anyone with a perfect record - every great "artist" has done at least ONE rubbish piece of something.

I wonder if anyone else agrees with me?

Ðanisty

My favorite books are the Eternal Champion books by Michael Moorcock, particularly the Elric saga. The Elric series follows a physically weak and ultimately doomed prince. He experiences little outside of suffering and no matter how he struggles, he can't break free from his destiny. If you like fantasy, you might want to check them out.

I also adore Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. I've read every single one of them, some of them multiple times. Anyone who claims to love mysteries must read them. You'll be surprised how mysterious they still are.

For horror, I recommend the Vampire Hunter D novels by Hideyuki Kikuchi. They are just now being translated after decades of pleas from anime fans. I'm very picky about my vampire stories and these are the best I've read. D is sort of a quiet, unapproachable vampire hunter with amazing skills and quite a few secrets.

Currently I'm reading the Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I loved the movie and I'm currently enthralled by the anime Gankutsuo which is a strange sci-fi retelling. I decided to give the original a try and I'm loving it.

standing_alone

Some books I really like are:

1984 by Orwell
Brave New World by Huxley
Invisible Man by Ellison
In the Lake of the Woods by O'Brien
White Noise by DeLillo
A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens
The Stranger by Camus

and probably my all-time favorite:

Walden by Thoreau

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
All the books and publications by David Hume, Nietzsche, and Aristotle.
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card (I love all the rest of his books too, especially the Memory of Earth series)
From Dawn To Decadence by Jacques Barzun
Story of Philosophy by Will Durant
Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Two books that I have loved and read and reread are:

The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton

The Cats of Seroster, by Robert Westall

Ormiston

Clive Barker's "The Books of Blood" hands down. The first two books in Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. "Connections" by Burke is great if you enjoy history and science.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
The Giver - Lois Lowry
The Neverending Story - Michael Ende
The Little Prince - [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Antoine de Saint-Exupery[/font][/font][/font]

Ody

Dune by Frank Herbert
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Any work of H.P. Lovecraft...
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Any of the Dune series...
o ya!

William Shakespeares King Lear and Macbeth!

Aqualung

Tasty
Pretty much all Orson Scott Card books, with Ender's Game, Red Prophet, Treason, and the Lost Boys being my favourites.
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Mr. Tucket by Gary Paulsen :eek:
Call of the Wild by Jack London
Room With a View by EM Forster
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton

That's all I can think of now, but I love books, so I may revisit this thread a number of times. :D

Aqualung

Tasty
Ðanisty said:
I also adore Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. I've read every single one of them, some of them multiple times. Anyone who claims to love mysteries must read them. You'll be surprised how mysterious they still are.
Ah, yes. I love these too. My dad has book with all the Sherlock Holmes short stories and the Hound of the Baskervilles in it. I have read that thousand-ish page book numerous times. One of the things me and my dad like to do is just read a sentence and try to guess the story. We're pretty good at it. I like the part where Sherlock asks Watson, "Have you a pair of silent shoes?" :biglaugh: That's funny.

Ðanisty

Aqualung said:
Ah, yes. I love these too. My dad has book with all the Sherlock Holmes short stories and the Hound of the Baskervilles in it. I have read that thousand-ish page book numerous times. One of the things me and my dad like to do is just read a sentence and try to guess the story. We're pretty good at it. I like the part where Sherlock asks Watson, "Have you a pair of silent shoes?" :biglaugh: That's funny.
Just curious...have you read A Study in Scarlet? If so, did the contents offend you, or do you just assume Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was working with the best information he could find at the time? I've always wondered what mormons thought of that book.

Aqualung

Tasty
Ðanisty said:
Just curious...have you read A Study in Scarlet? If so, did the contents offend you, or do you just assume Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was working with the best information he could find at the time? I've always wondered what mormons thought of that book.
I did, but I can't help you on that last question. I read it before I became a mormon. :D I'm pretty sure I've read every sherlock holmes story and novel, but I'm not quite sure on that one.

LongGe123 said:
Isn't "The Invisible Man" by H.G Wells? I'm pretty sure it is.
There is a book by HG Wells about an invisible man (called INvisible Man) but the book S_A speaks of is a book about a black man in a white society.

onmybelief

I love Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Those have to be my two favorites.