• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite religious picture of Jesus

FFH

Veteran Member
Mine is, without doubt, the icon of Christ Pantocrator from St. Catherine's monastery, Sinai:

item1456_christsinaiicon.jpg

James
That painting is based on the Shroud of Turin image of Christ, which is represented in my avatar, and is the most accurate one......

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
That painting is based on the Shroud of Turin image of Christ, which is represented in my avatar, and is the most accurate one......

No, afraid not. The icon of Christ Pantocrator from Sinai predates the first appearance of the Shroud of Turin in history by centuries. Now, what you say may, perhaps, be right in a sort of roundabout way in that there is a suggestion that iconographical depiction of Christ as bearded and with long hair are due to the rediscovery of the Mandylion of Edessa in the 6th century (though that was only ever described as a square with the image of Christ's face on it) and that there has likewise been some suggestion that the Shroud of Turin might be the Mandylion as that disappeared from Constantinople during the looting of the 4th Crusade and the Shroud of Turin first appeared in the west over 150 years later.

I think that, to be honest, there are just too many holes in the story, though. The Mandylion isn't a burial shroud, only has a facial image and is alwways described as square - the Shroud of Turin just isn't like that and why would the Crusaders wait so long before unveiling their prize if they'd taken the Shroud from Constantinople? They weren't shy about installing the rest of their pilfered relics in western churches. For comparison, the icon from St. Catherine's monastery dates from 6th century.

James

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I was reading a quote by Charle Spurgeon in the Baptist forum and he remarked on the cistene chapel (or whatever that picture is where God is an old man pointing his finger) he considered it blasphemous, he pointed out the Bible says we are not supposed to make an image of God like man or beast.

Maybe it's just me but that picture of God looks like Zeus to me.

This one is the coolest and most realistic (to his teachings) I´ve seen so far:

JesusMeditating.jpg

And I like this one, sitting there in meditation, cool.