• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Folk/Fairy Tale

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Namaste All,

If I've learned anything from my first gallery opening is that people love fairy tales. So I've decided I should have more of my work reflect that. On that note, what is your favorite Folk/Fairy Tale? It can be from any tradition. =)

Thanks!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Noah's Ark.

I'd like to say there was a good reason for it, but I was fascinated by the story when I was a kid.
Images of animals going on the ark two by two.
Then there was Bill Cosby's version of it, This was like more than 45 years ago.

Deidre

Cinderella. While I don't 'need' a man, it is nice to think that there might be someone special, that one special someone out there in the world...who has my glass slipper. :sunflower:

Thana

Lady
Hans Christian Andersons version of the Little Mermaid. It's just so dark, I love it.
For obscure fairy tales, I've always curiously enjoyed the story of Rumplestiltskin.

But I think my all time favourite classic is Beauty and the Beast.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Disney's version of Beauty and the Beast. All time favorite Renaissance movie.
The Snow Queen, haunting but beautiful. Though not much of a climax.
Roald Dahl's versions of Fairy Tales. Sarcastic, odd, irreverent and brilliant.
Hansel and Gretel.

But my all time favorite Fairy Tale is The Steadfast Tin Soldier by Hans Christian Andersen.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You have such a nice graphic style.
I could see Aesop's fables having some imagery that would work for you. Maybe even incorporate some calligraphy text from the story.
Good luck!
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Little Red Hen
(especially the modern version)

interior2_image_2973_2.jpg

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Thanks everyone, for your input! Keep em' coming!

I definitely love beauty and the beast. I also love 'East of the Sun West of the Moon' - but I've done that already =)

I'd like to say there was a good reason for it, but I was fascinated by the story when I was a kid.
Images of animals going on the ark two by two.
Then there was Bill Cosby's version of it,

I hate to think what happens to the animals in that version? :seenoevil::seenoevil::seenoevil::seenoevil:

I like the Emperor's New Clothes though as it contains a very valuable message.

For folk tales, I quite like Sangkuriang, as it has some very 'interesting' themes such as getting pregnant after drinking urine, marrying a dog, incest, deicide, the eating of a father/husband, fighting, more incest, spirits and is even related to the creation of a real mountain called 'upside down boat mountain' in West Java. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangkuriang

vaguelyhumanoid

Pinocchio. Not the Disney Pinocchio, idgaf about that. The old Pinocchio, the one about a hardscrabble puppet boy who tries to kill his conscience. The one with the flaming serpent and the fairy godmother who our hero keeps just barely passing by. Now, the happy ending in that one is a hard-fought battle. I found a lavishly-illustrated copy in elementary school and it always stuck with me.