• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Fantasy Books

Ormiston

By fantasy I'm thinking mainly of Tolkein-ess, knights-in-shining-armor, Dungeons & Dragons type books. I love the Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and I'm currently reading Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time series (for the 2nd time). At the top of my list also is Dragon Lance. Caramon and Raistlan (sp?) were probably the greatest pair of characters ever.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Lord of the rings. It's about the only fantasy book I've read. Love Dean Koontz, but that's not really fantasy. Loved 'Strange highways' and 'Dragon tears'
There was another fantasy book I read about 10 years ago, but cannot for the life of me remember the title or who wrote it. About a mentally handicaped child with special powers.​

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I like the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson.And, of course, I love Tolkien - most modern fantasy, though, leaves me cold.

James

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
If you love fantasy, then read one of JRR Tolkien's homies: CS Lewis. His space trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength) and the Chronicles of Narnia are exceptional reads. Be prepared to gain insight into the human psyche as you read them though!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NetDoc said:
If you love fantasy, then read one of JRR Tolkien's homies: CS Lewis. His space trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength) and the Chronicles of Narnia are exceptional reads. Be prepared to gain insight into the human psyche as you read them though!
I have ploughed through 'lord of the rings' even though I can only rtead a little at one sitting, and I would love to read the Chronicles of Narnia; but it would have to be a book borrowed from the library. My 'stong' woman (from another thread) tells me I have enough reference books, without adding any more to the collection................Which is a fair point.:)

Solon

Ormiston said:
By fantasy I'm thinking mainly of Tolkein-ess, knights-in-shining-armor, Dungeons & Dragons type books. I love the Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and I'm currently reading Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time series (for the 2nd time). At the top of my list also is Dragon Lance. Caramon and Raistlan (sp?) were probably the greatest pair of characters ever.
I can't stand any of that sort of writing, personally, It doesn't appeal at all. I do like fiction of course, anything from Martin Cruz Smith to Christopher Pike ( Adult Fiction), and Zola, Flaubert, Balzac, Maupassent, Gide, Camus etc so much more an exploration of human nature than any fantasy. Hmm, yes, I like French Literature...

Solon

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Some of my favorites are: Dave Duncan's quadrilogies A Man of his Word and A Handful of Men; Raymond Feist's Midkemia; Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series; David and Leigh Eddings' work; Michelle West's Sun Sword series; Robin Hobb's several series; Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion works; and probably more.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm a fan of Mercedes Lackey... other than that I don't have any specific authors I like. :) I think I'm so attatched to her because she was the first author I'd read from that had gay/lesbian characters for a reason other than having gay/lesbian characters in a book.

It doesn't have knights in shining armor, but the Bartimaeus trilogy is interesting.

Ori

Angel slayer
Although I love a lot of the older writers like Le Guin, Brooks, Tolkien and Martin, i'm currently more interested in the new weird writers China Mieville and Steph Swainston.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
My absolute favorite series is the "Discworld" books, by Terry Pratchett. While being semi- anti- established religion, it's helped me to articulate my views on my spiritual path. The characters also speak to my heart.

My favorite single book is "The Last Unicorn", by Peter S. Beagle.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I like Piers Anthony novels. My favorite series he wrote was The Incarnations of Immortallity. The third book based on the Diablo games, The Shadow Kingdom, was a really good book. Both Tolkiens were good, but J.R.R. was better. Stephen King and Ann Rice are also two of my favorites. The fantasy author I like the most though is H.P. Lovecraft. E.A. Poe, allthough another great author, doesn't come anywhere close to the same level of creepyness and oddness.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I liked Anthony too!

I wonder if anyone else has read ER Burrough's Barsoom series??? Probably not! :D

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
NetDoc said:
I liked Anthony too!

I wonder if anyone else has read ER Burrough's Barsoom series??? Probably not! :D
I have read some of them, but many more moons ago than I want to admit to! Ever read E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series (more sci-fi than fantasy)?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My favorite fantasy books? Any book written on political issues by a partisan of one side or another.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Luke Wolf said:
I like Piers Anthony novels. My favorite series he wrote was The Incarnations of Immortallity. The third book based on the Diablo games, The Shadow Kingdom, was a really good book. Both Tolkiens were good, but J.R.R. was better. Stephen King and Ann Rice are also two of my favorites. The fantasy author I like the most though is H.P. Lovecraft. E.A. Poe, allthough another great author, doesn't come anywhere close to the same level of creepyness and oddness.
What do you mean by both Tolkiens? If, which is all I can imagine, you are referring to Christopher Tolkien as the other one, then all he has done is edit his father's unpublished writings for publication. I don't know of any other author called Tolkien and it's not exactly a common surname.

James

Ormiston

Luke Wolf said:
As far as creepy and odd, can't forget Clive Barker.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Ormiston said:
As far as creepy and odd, can't forget Clive Barker.
I picked up his 'Imajica' a couple of years ago and thouroughly enjoyed.

'The Hobbit' was a favourite of mine when I was a kid.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What do you mean by both Tolkiens? If, which is all I can imagine, you are referring to Christopher Tolkien as the other one, then all he has done is edit his father's unpublished writings for publication. I don't know of any other author called Tolkien and it's not exactly a common surname.
Yes, I am refering to Christopher Tolkien. I thought I read somewhere that he wrote a few books based in the LOTR world.

Flappycat

Jensa said:
I'm a fan of Mercedes Lackey... other than that I don't have any specific authors I like. :) I think I'm so attatched to her because she was the first author I'd read from that had gay/lesbian characters for a reason other than having gay/lesbian characters in a book.
In one of her books, the gay one was in there for the explicit purpose of giving a rather slimy magician the heebie jeebies. It wasn't one of her better books, though, and she needs to have a long talk with her editor over it. Personally, I think that she and Larry Dixon made a great team in The Black Gryphon and its sequels. Personally, I rather liked Maggie Furey's Aurian and sequels quite a bit, at least partly because of the rather unique love triangle involved. "I've been a father to her, and I've been her husband. I'm not going to be her brat as well." Uhum, long story behind that (mis)quote. Let's see, I've like Christopher Rowley's books since I was ten, though it took me a while to understand what Bazil Broketail meant when he teased his dragonboy over his obsession with "fertilizing the eggs," Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule and its sequels were good until a few pages into Faith of the Fallen, at which point I lost my patience with them, I might have ended up reading all of the Xanth books, though my interest in them has waned and waxed for so long that I forget even when I started on them. I was enamored with some of Bruce Coville's work when I was very young, I think my peak of interest being when I was around seven or eight. Actually, I think I finally set my teeth to finishing the Xanth books when I read the Incarnations of Immortality and realized the author still existed sometime during my mid to late teens. Of course, I ended up reading a few of Madeline L'Engle's books when I was a lad. In fact, it was her writing that kept me interested in Christianity during my teens, though this was mainly an historical and new age spiritual interest. Hey, I was a kid. My all time favorite fantasy book, however, was a collaboration between Mercedes Lackey and Andre Norton, The Elvenbane. I know, it's pretty lightweight for a fellow my age, but I like how the protagonist ends up becoming a leader of a sort of magical renaissance. When I first read the book, I was a bit younger and still had that youthful enthusiasm for invention, revolution, and all that stuffing. My second favorite book would have to be Belgarath the Sorcerer, and this is for practically no other reason than that the authors had the audacity to get the main character romantically involved with a she-wolf. Oh, I did, of course, read the series it was born from and found much of the writing fairly well-done but not particularly remarkable, begging the pardon of the co-authors' fans. One of the best fantasy books I've read lately, by the way, was The Redemption of Althalus.

My all-time favorite book ever, though, is a toss between Timeships and Ring, both of which were written by Stephen Baxter. They're not fantasy, but they're pretty awesome. It's the scale he writes on, man. Timeships is basically a really good fanfic of The Time Machine, but trust me, it's good. Honestly, I've always favored science fiction over fantasy by quite a bit.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
True, but I think one of her main characters, one that had at least a trilogy or so devoted to him, was very likable, powerful, and happened to be gay. I don't remember what the series was called, since my only interaction with it was glancing through a copy a classmate handed me while I was bored in class. I'd led what you might call a sheltered life, so I was ever-so confused when I pointed out the typo where it said that 'he loved him' (or something to that) and my friend explained that, no, they didn't forget to leave the 's' off of the 'he'.