• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fatwas

Marble

Rolling Marble
How does one make a fatwa?
Who can issue a fatwa?
Must a Muslim obey fatwas?
What if 2 fatwas contradict?

A fatwa is an answer given to a Muslim from a clerk about how to deal with a specific situation.
If 2 Fatwas are contradict, he can take the easier or he can follow his heart.

Last edited:

Marble

Rolling Marble
What frightens me is, that it is possible to issue fatwas that recommend killing someone.
Ayatholla Khomeini made such a fatwa against Salman Rushdie, and I think some fatwa was made against the guy who drew the Mohammed cartoons.

What frightens me is, that it is possible to issue fatwas that recommend killing someone.
Ayatholla Khomeini made such a fatwa against Salman Rushdie, and I think some fatwa was made against the guy who drew the Mohammed cartoons.

This is not part of islam, to make fatwa on killing someone just like that. If you are thinking then the name you mentioned it is those people who are shia, not following the mainstream of islam which is ahlus sunnah wal jama'a

A fatwa is an answer given to a Muslim from a clerk about how to deal with a specific situation.
If 2 Fatwas are contradict, he can take the easier or he can follow his heart.

What you stated is wrong to be honest.

Just to let you know,

How does one make a fatwa?
Who can issue a fatwa?

For this both, a fatwa is issued by mufti's, who have studied in madarassa (school) for more then 12 years or so, they are highly knowledgeable, and they have permission from their elders (teachers) to give fatwa according to the subject (the area) they studied

Must a Muslim obey fatwas?

Fatwa are answer to the question you asked, and mufti's give the best answer, it is the choice of the questioner to obey or not, as to obey the fatwa is the best thing and a best solution to your problems.

What if 2 fatwas contradict?

the one which the most scholars agree with, thats the fatwa chosen. But it is mostly difference of opinion, but fatwa in general will be correct, none will be wrong. As to call one higly knowledge person a wrong person is not permissible in islam