• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fatima

Shrew

What do you think about Fatima?
Do you think Mary really appeared there or was it a natural phenomenon that was misunderstood?

Shrew

No what?
You think she not really appeared, or you think the sun-phenomenon was not misuderstood?

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

Seconding.

I wear a Hamsa (look it up). I get told all the time that it's a Hand of Fatima. If I have any backbone that day, I tell them flatly "No, it's a Hamsa." Jews, Buddhists, and Christian ppl all use the Hamsa though Christians today have forgotten what it means, as a symbol of womanhood and protection, and that the Hand of God is in all things (panentheism). It also predated all of these things, as I believe the Zoroastrian or Babylonian fairhs originally had it. Then the Muslims try to steal this symbol and act like they came up with it.

No.

You didn't. Fatima is not a real person. She's a Muslim rationalization of, again, plagiarized material and an attempt to claim credit for something earlier. Bot the Hand of Fatima. Hamsa. The Hand of God.

The worst part of this is repeated misinformation about said artifact. Hamsa is common ground between Christians, Jews, and Buddhists, a belief that God is in all things. Muslims firmly believe in a god that is not in the image of his creation but wholly beyond human understanding. In other words, they have nothing to do with what this really means and have hijacked an important symbol for their own use. Can you understand yet why I'm upset? This is like having someone take a Star of David, and say that it is "really" about their faith involving the Triangle God of Ishamudo. Or telling Hindus/Buddhists (not sure) who have the swastika as a symbol of fortune that thet are dirty dirty Nazis.

Last edited: