• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Football

Should we have a dedicated TE roster spot?

• yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • no

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Crystallas

Riven said:
Injuries are part of fantasy football. Should we redraft every time a player gets injured, just so the team whose player got injured isn't at a disadvantage?

Gates and Gonzalez are anomalies. On most teams, TE production is equal to or less than the production of the #3 or even #4 WR. Jeremy Shockey - largely considered a top 5 TE - put up 64 fantasy points last season, making him the 5th best fantasy football TE in the league. By comparison, a QB scoring 64 points would have been the 30th best QB last season, a WR scoring 64 would have ranked #35, and a RB with 64 points would have been last season's 31st best RB. But, in the world of the TE, these are top 5 numbers. Aside from the big 2, TEs are largely worthless in fantasy football. The best way to go, IMO, is to have a TE/WR flex position so the people who want to Draft a TE like Gates or Gonzalez for their obvious fantasy value can, while others aren't forced to draft guys like Chris Cooley, last year's 10th best fantasy TE. (For those who are wondering, 46 wide receivers scored more points than Cooley last season.)
A.) Im not saying redraft players at all when their an injury. People are still going to look at the undrafted pool thoughout the season, and you take away 12-24 recievers that would have been in there incase of injuries.
B.) 46 Wide recievers at 2 a team is 24 plus maybe 2 on the bench. 48. So thats a lot poorer than starting 10 TEs. Ever play in a full league without TEs? It sucks since one person can dominate so quickly in the season by hoarding players that have been lucky enough to get a career year or a good QB to shuffle them or not-injured. I played on leagues w/o TEs, its not as fun. Someone starts dominating, and they runaway with the league. One guy had Curtis Martin, Tiki Barber, Julius Jones, and Larry Johnson last year starting because of the whole no-challenge players logic. His whole 2nd half of the season crushed his opponents, nobody even cared when it came to playoffs. If he haden't done it, someone would have.
C.) With that lame logic, we may aswell get rid of kickers. Even defense.
D.) Let everyone have peyton manning, we'll score more then too.
E.) You Jynxed yourself. Chris Cooley will be the highest scoring TE in FFL this year. LOL

Riven

Crystallas said:
A.) Im not saying redraft players at all when their an injury. People are still going to look at the undrafted pool thoughout the season, and you take away 12-24 recievers that would have been in there incase of injuries.
But, if you have a WR/TE flex position, you're not taking ANYTHING away from the talent pool because that puts TEs on equal footing with WRs. The top TEs - Gates, Gonzalez, Witten, Crumpler, etc. - would still be drafted. And people could choose between the scrub TEs and the scrub WRs.

Crystallas said:
B.) 46 Wide recievers at 2 a team is 24 plus maybe 2 on the bench. 48. So thats a lot poorer than starting 10 TEs. Ever play in a full league without TEs? It sucks since one person can dominate so quickly in the season by hoarding players that have been lucky enough to get a career year or a good QB to shuffle them or not-injured. I played on leagues w/o TEs, its not as fun. Someone starts dominating, and they runaway with the league. One guy had Curtis Martin, Tiki Barber, Julius Jones, and Larry Johnson last year starting because of the whole no-challenge players logic. His whole 2nd half of the season crushed his opponents, nobody even cared when it came to playoffs. If he haden't done it, someone would have.
I'm not following you here. How would having a TE prevent someone from having T. Barber and C. Martin? And why would there be 4 starting RBs in ANY league? With even just 10 teams, that would be 40 starting RBs. There are 32 teams in the NFL. Do the math.

Crystallas said:
C.) With that lame logic, we may aswell get rid of kickers. Even defense.
Sounds good to me. Kickers are a crap shoot. There has only been one kicker to finish in the top 5 in his position for both of the last two years. The two top kickers selected last year, Vanderjagt and Wilkins, finished 9th and 22nd in scoring at the position. The K position takes the league championship out of the hands of the GM with the most skill, and places it in the hands of the GM with the most luck.

Crystallas said:
D.) Let everyone have peyton manning, we'll score more then too.
I'm not saying we should make rules so everyone scores more. I'm saying there shouldn't be a rule forcing people to score less - like making someone draft a guy with 300 receiving yards and 3 TDs while several guys with 500+ receiving yards and 5 or 6 TDs remain undrafted.

Crystallas said:
E.) You Jynxed yourself. Chris Cooley will be the highest scoring TE in FFL this year. LOL
:D

Riven

What I'm basically trying to say is that - with the exception of the top 4 or 5 - TE's aren't worth the time it takes to rank them. They really aren't worth the time it takes to have this conversation about them. It's really not that big of a deal. We'll have a TE position, I don't care. And I'll do the same thing I've done in every other league I've been in with TEs - draft one in the next to last round.

Riven

Jocose said:
Well, sadly, we don't really get to draft anyone if it is going to be automated.
True. Forgot about that. I'm not a big fan of the Autodraft thing. It automatically gives you backups at every position. I think I've made my opinion clear on TEs and Ks, don't even get me started on backup TEs and Ks. But, oh well. Life goes on.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
I just posted a poll in this thread regarding TE's. Should there be a dedicated TE roster spot or not. Whatever wins will be what we use in the league.

Todd

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Good thing this isn't in religious debates. Someone would probably say that the Bible is against Tight Ends and any reference to Tight Ends.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Todd said:
I just posted a poll in this thread regarding TE's. Should there be a dedicated TE roster spot or not. Whatever wins will be what we use in the league. Todd
Thank you. I would ask that folks not vote if they do not plan to play.

Riven

We could do an offline draft, here on the board. Which, of course, would technically still be an online draft, but you know what I mean.

Crystallas

I dont mean to jump on you riven, but its like we want to play chess, and you want to play checkers.

Todd put a poll up, so thats a perfect idea. I'm game either way, but Im just saying that I like the modern standard for FF than the modified. I remember when you had to draft an O-Line and Dbacks, that stuff was fun, but not as fun as it is now. I think its perfect with the QB, 2xHB, 2xWR,TE,K,D/ST & 6 Bench. A standard that most leagues online or offline use now and have used for about 10 years.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Crystallas said:
I dont mean to jump on you riven, but its like we want to play chess, and you want to play checkers.
Let it go. There is a good deal of high quality, TE-optional fantasy football played that has no resemblance to checkers.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Todd,

Please outline in this thread (a) the scoring system, (b) the suggested roster, and (c) how you expect this autodraft to work. Thanks.

Riven

Crystallas said:
Easy, killer. I already said it isn't that big of a deal. I'll whoop you at chess or checkers, it doesn't matter to me. Knockout

Todd

Rajun Cajun
Can't get to fantasy football from work (proxy is blocking it). I will give the full information this evening. I can tell you that 12 teams is the max for this league. Will give more info this evening.