• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith and Globalization

Popeyesays

Baha'i Gregory C. Dahl, an economist and former senior official of
the International Monetary Fund (IMF), was interviewed by First
Business Morning News television on June 29. He is the author of the
recently released book, One World, One People: How Globalization Is
Shaping Our Future. On the show, Dahl discusses the pros and cons of
globalization and why it's necessary for the planet's survival. In a
related interview, Dahl explains the teachings of the Baha'i Faith as
they relate to issues of globalization.

Video footage of the interviews are available on First Business
Morning News website. (See below)

Interview on the pros and cons of globalization -
http://www.firstbusinessx.com/interviews/0707/0702interview.html
Interview on the teachings of the Baha'i Faith as they relate to
issues of globalization -
http://www.firstbusinessx.com/webex/0707/0702webexSocialResponsibility.html

Gregory C. Dahl's book: One World, One People: How Globalization is
Shaping Our Future - http://books.bahai.us/one-world-one-people

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I haven't made up my mind on this. On one hand I don't like globalization because it assumes an exchange of ideas/products will essentially produce good results. I'm not entirely convinced of this. I don't believe that is how it should be, but I honestly do see this happening in my life time.

lunamoth

Will to love
Globalization is going to happen. The question is whether we pay attention to it and try to direct/have a say in how this happens, or do we put our head in the sand and let the big commercial interests call all the shots (which is basically what is happening).

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Globalization is going to happen. The question is whether we pay attention to it and try to direct/have a say in how this happens, or do we put our head in the sand and let the big commercial interests call all the shots (which is basically what is happening).

That's a good point Luna.

Booko

Deviled Hen

Ah, I see you're back to posting what I was already thinking before I had a chance to do so myself. :D

I can see why some people are anti-globalization. Globalization to them means big commercial interests driving others into even more blinding poverty and reducing their ability to be self-sufficient.

I'm feeling this nostlagic thing at the moment, like maybe we need to go derail a thread together? :devil:

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
Globalization, like democracy, is fine as long as you leave religion and other special interests out of it.

Fat chance.

All the turmoil in the Middle East is a result of this weakness. Religion is being played as an issue, when the real issue is a quest for power and control over other people. But religion gets alot of mileage as far as stirring the pot goes. It gets people motivated more than a political ideology. Because they're now doing it "for God".

If you look at all the trouble in the world, religion figures very front and center of almost all of it. But if you strip away all the religion, what you see is old fashioned animalistic thinking.

Religion is the catalyst, but it is not the fuel itself. Its being used to rally people to one side or another.

But religion is what will end the world as you now know it. Too many of the "faithful " believe in an end of days. Belief has power. By the sheer numerical force of their belief, they will invite the very thing their holy books warn will come.

And they will drag the rest of you along with them. Because you have been globalized.

x

Booko

Deviled Hen
Bwahahahahaha! I think you were with your mom during the time I had my Mothra avatar.

I missed Mothra? Oh no!

Maybe I should change my avi to this Atlanta landmark:

200px-Big_chicken.jpg

Oh darn, we're derailing *this* thread!

Um...ok....globalization.....

What do any of you think might happen to warfare when globalization finally sets in for good?

Is there any chance that (despite the nasty side effects of letting multinationals act unchecked) it might increase the possibility of world peace?

lunamoth

Will to love
I missed Mothra? Oh no!

Maybe I should change my avi to this Atlanta landmark:

200px-Big_chicken.jpg

Oh darn, we're derailing *this* thread!

ROFL! You did it! *mutter mutter rats I'm out of frubals catch you later*

Um...ok....globalization.....

What do any of you think might happen to warfare when globalization finally sets in for good?

Is there any chance that (despite the nasty side effects of letting multinationals act unchecked) it might increase the possibility of world peace?

Warfare? Hmmm. Well, even having a police state enforcing the laws of a central autority can be as violent as any other war. I'm optimistic that if we can globalize with an intention to share wealth and actualize the ideals of taking care of everyone, especially the 'least of these,' globalization could improve life for a lot of people. But, as it is, this ideal is not even being discussed. Profit and greed seem to be the whole motive force behind globalization at this time.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass

The spirituality required for globalization is not in place yet. Benjamin Barber's book Jihad vs. McWorld is about the essential conflict between local identity and the powers of globalized economics. The movie "Network" in the seventies was also all about this essential split between what already is a global economy and the spirituality of the age of nationalism.

lunamoth

Will to love
doppelgänger;875915 said:
The spirituality required for globalization is not in place yet. Benjamin Barber's book Jihad vs. McWorld is about the essential conflict between local identity and the powers of globalized economics. The movie "Network" in the seventies was also all about this essential split between what already is a global economy and the spirituality of the age of nationalism.

So the choices (as it is) are a commercial globalization or a "global-nationalism" (transfer of power and allegiance to one central goverment) for the new 'spirituality?' I don't think I'm following...(so what else is new).

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
So the choices (as it is) are a commercial globalization or a "global-nationalism" (transfer of power and allegiance to one central goverment) for the new 'spirituality?' I don't think I'm following...(so what else is new).

There are more choices than those, but those are the main two in operation it seems, and they also appear to be directly in conflict with one another. Is the global spirit necessitated by the world of commerce going to be one dominant culture from among those we already have? Will it be a mutually understanding, give and take, listening culture (perhaps a somewhat "relativistic" one)?

I can see why this is of such interest to the Baha'i as it fancies itself the sort of spirituality that can align individual identity with global culture, thereby reconciling this conflict. Now if it would only get rid of the rigid anti-heresy approach . . .

lunamoth

Will to love
doppelgänger;875960 said:
There are more choices than those, but those are the main two in operation it seems, and they also appear to be directly in conflict with one another.
Unless it is a military-industrial complex...bleh.

Is the global spirit necessitated by the world of commerce going to be one dominant culture from among those we already have? Will it be a mutually understanding, give and take, listening culture (perhaps a somewhat "relativistic" one)?
I would prefer the term pluralistic over relativistic. As you know I would work toward the latter goal, and one that is compassionate. Our spirituality is how our priorites are ordered, so I completely agree with your use of the word in this context. (Sorry, out of frubals, but on your deathbed you will recieve total consciousness. So you've got that going for you.)

I can see why this is of such interest to the Baha'i as it fancies itself the sort of spirituality that can align individual identity with global culture, thereby reconciling this conflict. Now if it would only get rid of the rigid anti-heresy approach . . .
I like the optimism of the Baha'is in this regard, and I share their hope. However, as long as they maintain their ideology of a strong centralized authority with no transparency, no internal checks or balances, what they offer is not better than what is already out there.