• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facial recognition algorithm identifies sexual orientation

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
But hey, if you find just one guy who shows excitement about this invention because now he can target the people he hates, show him to me and I'll concede defeat.

Even if you find the guy, can you explain how that guy would be able to get his hands on this software??

If you can't do both of those things the fear is unfounded.

Also, having perused other articles with the same title and content, the reader comments were rather insightful.

One person mentioned, "An app like this could be fun".

Certainly, the word fun in itself is innocent, but when paired with how different people personally interpret how to have fun, that is when it can be rationally understood that a bigot's personal idea of fun is using the app to discriminate against homosexuals.

Sanzbir

Rather, it appears that you do not understand human nature. Yes, there is a logic behind what people do, but bigotry is far from logical due to the emotions of hate that drive it. The logic behind discrimination is a self-rationalized hate for that which the person does not like, and that kind of discrimination is unreasonable.

The fact that it was mentioned in the article itself should be sufficient enough to understand that people could use the software to discriminate.

Rule speculated about AI being used to actively discriminate against people based on a machine’s interpretation of their faces: “We should all be collectively concerned.”

Again, I will concede defeat if you can give me a single person. It should be easy, right??

Sanzbir

Also, having perused other articles with the same title and content, the reader comments were rather insightful.

One person mentioned, "An app like this could be fun".

Certainly, the word fun in itself is innocent, but when paired with how different people personally interpret how to have fun, that is when it can be rationally understood that a bigot's personal idea of fun is using the app to discriminate against homosexuals.

So the best you could find was the assumption that "fun" could imply "oh boy, now I can discriminate against people easier!!"

Dude, bigots think all gay people are camp stereotypes. They already think they call tell your orientation from a glance. They don't need gadgets!!

But if that's the best you got I think we're done here. Sorry but I require a higher standard of evidence apart from "fun".

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You'd need a study to prove the causal effects, not just a correlation.
Exactly.
I would be curious to see if the algorithm could distinguish between "has been psychologically damaged by homophobia" and "has been psychologically damaged by other forms of child abuse".
Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Actually now that I'm digging into the study, the actual accuracy is worse: "detecting gay males with 57% accuracy and gay females with 58% accuracy" only off of facial features. No bigot will use such a terrible detection method. Don't worry about it.
GIven the accuracy of the "lie detector", who knows. Do Lie Detectors Work?