• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ezekiel 18:4.Does God destroy our souls?I think he can.

Frank Goad

Ezekiel 18:4.Does God destroy our souls?I think he can.In Ezekiel 18:4 It says all of the souls are God's.At first I thought God was referring to people.But it then says the soul that is sinning it will die.Not him or they will die.:)So do you agree?Not agree?Please share bible verses if possible.On your position.

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Ezekiel 18:4.Does God destroy our souls?I think he can.In Ezekiel 18:4 It says all of the souls are God's.At first I thought God was referring to people.But it then says the soul that is sinning it will die.Not him or they will die.:)
I honestly am unsure whether hell is actually eternal or if the unrighteous souls are destroyed.
Either way I don't want to be there.

Ezekiel 18:4.Does God destroy our souls?I think he can.In Ezekiel 18:4 It says all of the souls are God's.At first I thought God was referring to people.But it then says the soul that is sinning it will die.Not him or they will die.:)So do you agree?

I agree that God can destroy souls, because:

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matt. 10:28

Truth in love

Ezekiel 18:4.Does God destroy our souls?I think he can.In Ezekiel 18:4 It says all of the souls are God's.At first I thought God was referring to people.But it then says the soul that is sinning it will die.Not him or they will die.:)So do you agree?Not agree?Please share bible verses if possible.On your position.

I don't know of a specific verse that is point blank about it.

The closest I've seen to the idea of a Soul being destroyed is Matthew 10: 28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

I'm citing a few references of the many on Hell.
Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Jude 1:7 speaks of eternal fire.

If the Soul could die or be destroyed why bother with hell at all, why not just nuke the soul? The overwhelming number of verses talking about eternity strongly support that there is no end to the Soul.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe there is simply nothing in scripture to support the concept of the extinguishing of the spirit. The soul on the other hand means spirit and body so if the body dies the soul is dead and the spirit may leave.

John 11:11 After saying these things, he said to them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go to awaken him.”

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
I believe Hell is eternal in the sense that there is no time there.
‘Eternal’ means everlasting…. ‘No end’!! It does not mean ‘No time’!

Before the world was created there would have been ‘No Time’…. Does that mean that God was in Hell?

Soapy

I believe there is simply nothing in scripture to support the concept of the extinguishing of the spirit. The soul on the other hand means spirit and body so if the body dies the soul is dead and the spirit may leave.

John 11:11 After saying these things, he said to them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go to awaken him.”
The soul on the other hand means spirit and body so if the body dies the soul is dead and the spirit may leave.
A Soul (A PERSON) is BODY and SPIRIT.

When a person dies (and die is a human term!!) it means that their SPIRIT has left their BODY.

The PERSON still exists because their SPIRIT still exists - though inert, inactive, dormant, … resting with God who gave it!

Their BODY, now no longer being maintained by their SPIRIT, decays back to dust.

God is the creator of the Spirit, and so He, and only He, can DESTROY it.

Note the difference between DIE, and, DESTROY.

Though the body DIES, its chemical elements (Carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, mercury, [silicon!!!!] …. Atoms and molecules … still exist in the world.

DESTROYED means ‘No longer EXISTING’.

At the end of time, the Souls, the Spirit of every SOUL deemed unworthy towards God and Christ, WILL BE DESTROYED. This means that there will be NO REMEMBRANCE OF THEM.

Those raised to eternal ….. everlasting…. Life will not remember any of the wicked and sinful of the past. Satan will not be remembered… the rebel angels will not exist and will not be known of, the unrepentant ungodly ones will not be known ever again!

So: Though man can kill the BODY, God can raise up that BODY again by putting a spirit into it. But if the Spirit is DESTROYED then the WHOLE PERSON (SOUL) is forever gone with no remembrance at all. This is why the destruction occurs only at the final end of time - so all have the time - NO MATTER HOW WICKED - to repent before the end!!

Soapy

I believe I grew up with King James also but I asked God which version to use and He said NAS.
For my info:
What is the difference between:
  • New American Standard Bible
  • NASB (1995)
  • NASB (1977)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
An imaginary God destroying imaginary souls.

Sure. Why not?

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe what God can create He can eliminate but I believe He does not. I believe this is based on silence. The Bible says nothing about a spirit being eliminated.

Muffled

Jesus in me
‘Eternal’ means everlasting…. ‘No end’!! It does not mean ‘No time’!

Before the world was created there would have been ‘No Time’…. Does that mean that God was in Hell?

I believe the dictionary says you are wrong.

I believe God is everywhere and that would include Hell of course.

Muffled

Jesus in me
For my info:
What is the difference between:
  • New American Standard Bible
  • NASB (1995)
  • NASB (1977)

I believe I have no idea. This is news to me. However languages are continually changing so versions have to be updated sometimes.

Soapy

I believe what God can create He can eliminate but I believe He does not. I believe this is based on silence. The Bible says nothing about a spirit being eliminated.
God created all things but since sin has come about through the sin of Adam and passed to his offspring (all mankind), there are some in whom there is an eternal sin. These will be DESTROYED at the end of time:
  • God will not tolerate sin forever. The soul that is sinning will be destroyed
Soul is body and Spirit.

Man can destroy the body but not the spirit.

Only God can destroy the Spirit.

When the body is destroyed the Soul (via the Spirit) is still not destroyed.

Only when the Spirit, and therefore the body, too, the Soul is then also destroyed.

Think of ‘Soul’ as encasing ‘body’ which encases ‘Spirit’.

If the body is destroyed the spirit is released but remains with the encasement of the Soul.

If the spirit is destroyed then BOTH body, and therefore SOUL is destroyed.

Destroying the ‘Soul’ is a shorthand to ‘Destroy the Spirit’… either way the whole PERSON is this destroyed.

Total destruction means that there is no remembrance of that Soul, that PERSON!

Thus, SOUL and PERSON are synonymous …