• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extraterrestrial Life

Chris Lovel

searcher
Do you believe that intelligent beings exist elsewhere in the universe?

If you are religious, what implications do you think the discovery of alien life would have on your beliefs?
I have to ask, what the heck does religion have to do with extraterrestial . There is a plethora of evidence of we have and are being visited by aliens. The latest being released by NASA of a UFO filmed from an Air Force jet in pursuit Where in the Bible is it written Aliens do not exist?, just askin'

Chris Lovel

searcher
It's all maths According to scientists there are at least 100 billion observable galaxies in this universe.Now it will be impossible for life to not exist anywhere else except earth. Given 100 billion galaxies with average of 9 planets in each galaxy, the probability that life exists some where else becomes extremely high.
It seems your figures are decidedly incorrect. I do believe there are a lot more than 9 planets in any given galaxy. According to several University sites there is estimated to be about 200 billion galaxies and in the Milky Way about 100 billion planets, sounds about right to me. So there is an even better chance there is intelligent life on some other planet. As a note of interest did you see the latest evidence of alien visitors recently released by NASA. A film clip of a UFO being chased by an Air Force jet.

izzy88

I have to ask, what the heck does religion have to do with extraterrestial . There is a plethora of evidence of we have and are being visited by aliens. The latest being released by NASA of a UFO filmed from an Air Force jet in pursuit Where in the Bible is it written Aliens do not exist?, just askin'
Most religions focus on mankind's relationship with whatever transcendent reality they believe in; I thought it would be interesting to see what people from different religions think about alien life and whether their religion has anything to say about it.

There are also a large number of religions that aren't based on the Bible, so that doesn't really have anything to do with it. Plus there are plenty of people who do believe the Bible specifically talks about aliens, whether in the form of angels or the nephilim or whatever it may be.

There's a very large variety of beliefs out there, and the concept of alien life has always fascinated me, so it seemed like it would make for an interesting thread.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
It seems your figures are decidedly incorrect. I do believe there are a lot more than 9 planets in any given galaxy. According to several University sites there is estimated to be about 200 billion galaxies and in the Milky Way about 100 billion planets, sounds about right to me. So there is an even better chance there is intelligent life on some other planet. As a note of interest did you see the latest evidence of alien visitors recently released by NASA. A film clip of a UFO being chased by an Air Force jet.

Father, the owner historian of science, human voice and image encoded recording by male human designer, machine builder out of melted minerals that he cooled to build machine. Looks at pyramid and quoted natural stone machine, and he was wrong.

Machination was always used in occultism. As based on Sun UFO history.

Science proves it is alienator of our life by machine.

He builds machines to look out at other bodies in space....yet Father said when the Sun bombarded Earth and nearly blew it into being a scattered mass with a black hole from core implosion...…….the UFO became Earth satellite communicators.

By opening a door into their metal bodies in heated atmospheric gas cause, converting, burning, cooling with our water/oxygen, which all gets sucked into the body. Meanwhile the spatial vacuum sucks them back out.

Put into out of space in various placements.

Science builds all of their machines as based on the SUN UFO history attack....and can communicate back and forth into various spatial positions from our planet into the places that the released origin UFO bodies travelled.

So they can look back at Earth from various outside positions that would place the surrounding bodies of our planetary galaxy into variations.

All science observations are based on either incoming bodies from out of space or what forms of bodies crashed into Earth and converted the body of Earth.

Yet are the higher living owner of the body skeleton, and if they say skeletal materials, they are speaking to the dead, about the dead or what killed us actually.

Not what created us, for you are reviewing our end non stop in science observation yet try to infer it was our beginning. Makes no common sense to a human who has to advise another human, you are only conscious as a human whilst you are living alive as that human....from sexual intercourse...about 100 years of life if you are lucky.

Not conscious anywhere else or in any other observable self condition as the consciousness.

Why you prove you own the Destroyer mentality that you are warned about.

Fact of being informed, the machine conditions that use vision/image and sound voice recordings, as information exist in the status creation as a causation before the bio organic life does. And you are possessed by the condition itself.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Do you believe that intelligent beings exist elsewhere in the universe?

We would have to define what "intelligent beings" are first.
We tend to think a lot of ourselves because we managed to put a probe on Mars.

But really, we aren't more "intelligent" then people were 4000 years ago. We have more knowledge, which allows us to do more, but we aren't "more intelligent" imo then our homo sapiens ancestors.

Does homo erectus qualify as "intelligent"? They made tools so I guess that counts?
So I'll just use "toolmaking" and perhaps "language" (which implies being capable of abstract reasoning and ability to communicate ideas) as the "standard" of what an "intelligent being" is.

So when it comes to assessing the plausibility of extra-terrestial life, we'ld have to look at life on this planet and run the numbers, as it's the only planet with life that we know off.

(courtesy of an argument made by Neil deGrass Tyson, which makes lots of sense to me).

So, what is life? Life could be defined as the extreme expression of complex chemistry. Carbon based chemistry.

If we look at the top 5 elements that make up life, they match 1 by 1 to the top 5 of abundance of elements we observe in the universe. Hydrogen, oxygen, carbon,... Helium is very abundant in the univese, but chemically inert so it doesn't count since you can't do anything with it except sounding like micky mouse.

It's also not very surprising that life is carbon based as you can make more molecules out of carbon then all other elements combined.

Next we can look at the building blocks of life like amino acids. These too seem to be very common in the universe - we even find them in random space rocks.

Next we can look at when life originated.
Earth formed 4.5 billion years ago. For the first couple 100 million years, earth was mostly a molten ball of rock being bombarded by asteroids, so we can ignore that as part of the "formation years".
Life originated some 3.8 billion years ago. Basicly within a time from of a dozen million years after earth was sufficiently cooled to allow such types of chemistry. On cosmic timescales, this is very fast. You could say that life formed pretty fast after the moment that earth was capable of sustaining it. This suggests that no matter how complex that chemistry was, it is relatively "easy" to have it occur. And if it happens here, it can happen elsewhere.

Now...the universe is BIG. Really really BIG. some 200 billion galaxies each holding an average of 200 billion stars, the vast majority of which has planets orbitting them.

Keppler has investigated only a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of these stars and already has PLENTY of rocky planets orbitting in the goldilock zone. So extrapolating that fact, we can safely say that there must be BILLIONS and BILLIONS of earth like planets out there with the potential of liquid water etc.

Considering all this, it seems almost pervers to assume that earth is the only planet with life on it. Considering these numbers, I'ld say it is near certain that there are planets out there with life on it. I can't for the life of me imagine that only earth holds life.

Now, as for intelligent life... Let's look at earth again.
"intelligent life" as defined above and a bit less, only really surfaced in the last 2 million years on this planet - and that's including more homo species then just sapiens (like erectus and neanderthalis as well)
So it took some 3.798 billion years of evolution and bazillions of species... to obtain only a handfull of "intelligent" beings.

So clearly, right out the gates, it's clear that "intelligent" life is a LOT rarer then non-intelligent life.

So if we would encounter another planet with life on it, chances are rather enormous that this life will not be intelligent.

Yet, again considering the almost unimaginably big numbers of the universe....
If it happened once here on earth, it's quite unlikely that it didn't also happen at least a few times elsewhere as well.

So, in conclusion, based on the above, my answer here would be:

- non-intelligent life elsewhere in the universe: as good as certain
- intelligent life elsewhere in the universe: much, MUCH, less probable the non-intelligent life, but considering how huge the universe is, still quite likely

my 2 cents.