• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extraordinary Attorney Woo

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have to tell everybody I can about this tv series from South Korea that I'm watching on Netflix! I've only seen the first episode so far, and I found it to be truly extraordinary and full of heart. Park Eun-bin brilliantly plays the role of Attorney Woo.

Here's a quick description of the series quoted from Wikipedia (quote is in blue text):

Extraordinary Attorney Woo (Korean: 이상한 변호사 우영우) is a 2022 South Korean television series starring Park Eun-bin in the title role, along with Kang Tae-oh and Kang Ki-young. It follows Woo Young-woo, a female rookie attorney with autism, who is hired by a major law firm in Seoul. Being different from her neurotypical peers, her manner of communication is seen by them as odd, awkward, and blunt. With each legal case and through her intelligence and photographic memory, she becomes an increasingly competent attorney.

The show aired on ENA from June 29 to August 18, 2022, every Wednesday and Thursday at 21:00 (KST), for sixteen episodes. It is also available for streaming on Netflix in selected regions.

Extraordinary Attorney Woo set the record for the highest ratings in ENA history. It received audience acclaim, with its final episode recording 17.5% nationwide ratings, making it the eighth highest-rated drama in Korean cable television history and seventh highest-rated television drama by number of viewers.

Here's a trailer for the series:

@VoidCat, I'm tagging you on this post because I think you might appreciate this series. I hope you have access to Netflix.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I dont really like a lot of fictional shows that have autistic characters. Often the acting is poor (as in they dont know how to portray autism body language without it looking like they mocking folk) and they spread misinformation on autism.

VoidCat

I dont really like a lot of fictional shows that have autistic characters. Often the acting is poor (as in they dont know how to portray autism body language without it looking like they mocking folk) and they spread misinformation on autism.

Already looking at the acting of the autistic character I think I'd cringe watching it. Some autistics might act similar but the majority dont act like this character. It reminds me of the time I was wringing my hands due to being anxious and someone mimicked me in a mocking and exaggerated way to embarrass me. Or the time my foster parent rocked in place and mimicked my hand movements telling me how ridiculous I looked. It's too exaggerated.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi, @VoidCat. I'm actually watching the series not just because the main character has autism spectrum disorder, but because I'm learning some cultural things about South Korea that I didn't know before. I'm also enjoying the way the other characters in the law firm are evolving (from episode to episode) in their perception of people who differ from them. If the premise of the series makes you uncomfortable, then I sincerely apologize for bringing it to your attention. Your comments are of value and I appreciate them.

Last edited:

VoidCat

If the premise of the series makes you uncomfortable, then I sincerely apologize for bringing it to your attention. Your comments are of value and I appreciate them.
The premise is pretty cool. I just don't know if it would be an accurate portrayal of autism or not. I could overlook the actor s body language if it presents autism well in other aspects. I know for example I find the Good Doctor to be a horrible portrayal of autism in many areas not just body language and can't stand to watch it but I've seen some portrayals of autism that are pretty decent.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
The premise is pretty cool. I just don't know if it would be an accurate portrayal of autism or not. I could overlook the actor s body language if it presents autism well in other aspects. I know for example I find the Good Doctor to be a horrible portrayal of autism in many areas not just body language and can't stand to watch it but I've seen some portrayals of autism that are pretty decent.

I've never watched The Good Doctor, but I'll check out some reviews of that show. It sounds cringe-worthy, from what you've told me. I have seen that Autism Spectrum News has provided a favorable review of Extraordinary Attorney Woo, and you can read it at this link:

Also, despite the fact that the actress who portrays Woo Young-Woo is not herself autism spectrum disabled, Netflix chose a voice actress who actually is autism spectrum disabled to provide the English dubbing for the character of Woo Young-Woo in the original South Korean series. (Edited to add: I've tried to find the link where I read this, but unfortunately I can't find it again, so I'm unable to confirm what I wrote here about the dubbing actress.)

Here's another favorable review of the series, by a person who is autism spectrum disabled. Interestingly, this reviewer shares your distaste for the portrayal of ASD people in The Good Doctor.

Last edited:

VoidCat

I've never watched The Good Doctor, but I'll check out some reviews of that show. It sounds cringe-worthy, from what you've told me. I have seen that Autism Spectrum News has provided a favorable review of Extraordinary Attorney Woo, and you can read it at this link:

Also, despite the fact that the actress who portrays Woo Young-Woo is not herself autism spectrum disabled, Netflix chose a voice actress who actually is autism spectrum disabled to provide the English dubbing for the character of Woo Young-Woo in the original South Korean series. (Edited to add: I've tried to find the link where I read this, but unfortunately I can't find it again, so I'm unable to confirm what I wrote here about the dubbing actress.)

Here's another favorable review of the series, by a person who is autism spectrum disabled. Interestingly, this reviewer shares your distaste for the portrayal of ASD people in The Good Doctor.

That's all sounds good. I might watch it.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
That's all sounds good. I might watch it.
Woo 3.jpg

Woo Young-Woo has a fascination for cetaceans, and the series provides some stunning visual effects for Woo's perception, which plays a large part in how she deals with people and situations as well as providing her with inspiration in the legal cases she takes on.