• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extending Hospitality instead of 19 Day Feast

bahamut19

From the authorized translation from the Baha’i Faith:

57 Verily, it is enjoined upon you to offer a feast, once in every month, though only water be served; for God hath purposed to bind hearts together, albeit through both earthly and heavenly means.

Feast using the GPT4 translation of the Kitab-i-Aqdas:

57 It is decreed upon you to extend hospitality once every month, even if only with water. Indeed, God intends to bring hearts together, even through the causes of heavens and earths.

127 Indeed, the number of months is nineteen months in the book of God. Its beginning has been adorned with this supreme name over all the worlds.

Questions and Answers #48: It is not obligatory

Even in the writings of Baha’u’llah translated by the Baha’i Faith, there are no other rules listed for the 19 day feast. How might feast have looked like if the GPT4 translation is the primary teaching? This is how I understand the Kitab-i-Aqdas.

Feast is no longer a feast, but it is extending hospitality. Hospitality means to open your home for a guest or guests. It is an act of kindness and generosity, where the host expects nothing in return. At the home, there could be a feast or a more modest meal. There could be no meal, and instead the focus could be on entertainment, friendship, or in a faith-based context, discussions and support in each the guest’s spiritual journey. Baha’u’llah says “even if only with water.” This means a feast is not the intended meaning of this verse, and acknowledges not every person may not have substantial means to provide certain levels of hospitality. It’s ok if all that is offered to the guest is water, as long as the spirit of hospitality is honored. Remember, hospitality is a gift from the host to the guest. This is why Baha’u’llah also says the purpose is to bring hearts together. This is friendship. Baha’u’llah wanted us to be genuine friends. Finally, when observed with the command “once per month” and the fact there are 19 months in the Baha’i calendar, we can say we are to extend hospitality at least 19 times per year, even if only water.

Notice what is missing when compared to the 19 Day Feast which is observed by the Baha’i Faith as led by the Universal House of Justice.
  • Extending hospitality does not have to occur the very first day of each month. The only requirement regarding time is that it must be sometime during the month.
  • It is not a community act. It is an individual act. The individual does not have to invite every Baha’i or an entire community. They can invite one person or they can invite more. It is entirely up to the individual.
  • The act of hospitality does not occur in conjunction with a House of Justice, or a spiritual assembly. This means it does not occur at a Baha’i Center. It is not organized by the local House of Justice. Once again this is an individual act according to what the individual wishes to offer.
  • There is no administrative activity or periods of consultation. There are no letters to be read, nor any particular administrative or devotional program. Consultation could occur if the guest wishes to discuss an issue, but it is not required.
  • This is not a Baha’i only activity. An individual could extend hospitality to any person, regardless of their background or belief.
  • Writings of the Bab, Baha’u’llah, or Abdul-Baha are not required to be read. Of course a person could, but the individual would have to keep in mind the purpose is to extend hospitality to a guest. A reading of any writing would have to be cognizant of that fact that the host is to take care of the guest. The purpose isn’t necessarily to convert anyone, but it is to give. As Baha’u’llah had never instructed Baha’is to read Abdul-Baha’s writings, such acts would have to focus on God and the Manifestations of God.
  • Elsewhere in the Aqdas, Baha’u’llah instructs everyone to respond to invitations. He does not say you have to accept them. If a host offers hospitality to another, it is ok if the intended guest cannot make it. If you are offered hospitality, you must respond. It is ok if you cannot, but still respond. Remember, an invitation to one is not an invitation to all.
What do you think about extending hospitality versus the current 19-Day Feast?
Also, Abdul-Baha has said the Bab enjoined the 19 Day Feast. Does anyone know where specifically the Bab discusses a 19-Day Feast?