• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explanations Please...

DeeEinstein

I claim Christianity, however my cousin is half Jew. His mother is not Jewish although his father is which I've learned only makes him half Jew. He was raised Southern Baptist but claims Judaism. However, even though he celebrates the Jewish holidays such as Hanukkah he also celebrates Christmas... his day to day living though doesn't really represent any real form of religion although he does pray. He does not know Hebrew nor did he have a Bar Mitzvah but he was baptised in the Christian faith. He also eats pork and has tattoos and piercings. Where exactly does this put him in the different classifications of Jews? He does not attend Synogogue nor church. He does however, have the mezuzah I purchased for him hanging on his door post as well as the Star of David in his house along with a Jewish prayer above his door. I'm just curious... what do Jews believe in the sense of what takes place after death? As Christians, as long as we accept the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and profess of our faith and live accordingly, then when we meet our maker we then will be judged and either ushered into Heaven or dismissed. What do the Jews believe seeing as how (at least to my knowledge) that the Jewish faith only believes Jesus was a prophet and not actually the Son of God... What are the steps Jews take to be assured they will reach Heaven and or is this even where Jews believe you retreat to upon death? One last thing... is it true that a few years back it was passed among the Jewish religion that if you have a man who is a Jew although the mother is not you have the option of raising the children Jewish?

Deut 13:1

I claim Christianity, however my cousin is half Jew. His mother is not Jewish although his father is which I've learned only makes him half Jew. He was raised Southern Baptist but claims Judaism. However, even though he celebrates the Jewish holidays such as Hanukkah he also celebrates Christmas... his day to day living though doesn't really represent any real form of religion although he does pray. He does not know Hebrew nor did he have a Bar Mitzvah but he was baptised in the Christian faith. He also eats pork and has tattoos and piercings. Where exactly does this put him in the different classifications of Jews? He does not attend Synogogue nor church. He does however, have the mezuzah I purchased for him hanging on his door post as well as the Star of David in his house along with a Jewish prayer above his door. I'm just curious... what do Jews believe in the sense of what takes place after death? As Christians, as long as we accept the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and profess of our faith and live accordingly, then when we meet our maker we then will be judged and either ushered into Heaven or dismissed. What do the Jews believe seeing as how (at least to my knowledge) that the Jewish faith only believes Jesus was a prophet and not actually the Son of God... What are the steps Jews take to be assured they will reach Heaven and or is this even where Jews believe you retreat to upon death? One last thing... is it true that a few years back it was passed among the Jewish religion that if you have a man who is a Jew although the mother is not you have the option of raising the children Jewish?
In the eyes of Judaism, there is no such thing as a half-Jew. You're either Jewish or you're not. The factor determining if you're Jewish is if your mother is Jewish or if you have a valid conversion then you're Jewish. As your cousin's mother is not Jewish, he is not obligated to have a mezuzah on his doorposts nor is he considered Jewish in any denomination. Reformed synagogues may consider him Jewish, but he would not be welcome in a minyon at any religious service.

Judaism and Christianity have a very different view of the afterlife. The afterlife is rarely mentioned in the TNK because we focus on the present life. The majority of souls go to olam haba (the world to come) which is similar to the christian purgatory where they cleanse their sins through the different layers. The very evil ones are simply cut off (Hitler and others).

Jews don't really believe in the christian version of heaven and hell. We don't believe in the whole satan rebellion that is one of the principles of christianity. As far as you're last question, they should be raised to follow the covenant of Noah. One thing that I think is important is to make the distinction between the American Jews (Adam Sandler) and religious Jews. . .

Elessar

By the Reform and Reconstruction Movements, as long as he claims Jewish identity, he can be considered Jewish. By the Conservative and Orthodox Movements, he would not be considered Jewish (though I think some Conservative congregations are more lenient on this issue). From a purely ethnic standpoint, he is considered Jewish (Jewish ethnicity, for secular intents and purposes, is the child or grandchild of a halachic Jew). Outside of Israel and the Ashkenazi, non-Ashkenazi Jews who have not been affected by Ashkenazi traditions would consider him Jewish ethnically, as well, as maternal-only bloodline theory is, traditionally, only an Ashkenazi belief, though Ashkenazim being the majority of Jews and the most dominant ethnic group in Judaism for two centuries or more has led to others' to abandon the tradition of dual-bloodline heritage (long held by most Sephardim, and still held by some in the United States, most of those who live in Latin America, and many of those who remain in the Arab world.

However, if he doesn't claim Jewish identity at all, then no one would consider this cousin of yours Jewish except in a secular, ethnic sense.

Last edited:

DeeEinstein

In the eyes of Judaism, there is no such thing as a half-Jew. You're either Jewish or you're not. The factor determining if you're Jewish is if your mother is Jewish or if you have a valid conversion then you're Jewish. As your cousin's mother is not Jewish, he is not obligated to have a mezuzah on his doorposts nor is he considered Jewish in any denomination. Reformed synagogues may consider him Jewish, but he would not be welcome in a minyon at any religious service.

Judaism and Christianity have a very different view of the afterlife. The afterlife is rarely mentioned in the TNK because we focus on the present life. The majority of souls go to olam haba (the world to come) which is similar to the christian purgatory where they cleanse their sins through the different layers. The very evil ones are simply cut off (Hitler and others).

Jews don't really believe in the christian version of heaven and hell. We don't believe in the whole satan rebellion that is one of the principles of christianity. As far as you're last question, they should be raised to follow the covenant of Noah. One thing that I think is important is to make the distinction between the American Jews (Adam Sandler) and religious Jews. . .

Thank you for the reply. Upon conversations with him, it arose a lot of confusion for me. It seems he himself doesn't have a clear understanding of what his own faith contains. He believes in Heaven as well as Hell. As, I've posted in another thread... he read a book of mine by Bill Wiese titled "23 Minutes in Hell". He read the book in one sitting and upon speaking with him the following morning, he claimed that he believed a lot of what it spoke of. However, it brought about some questions for him because it didn't line up with the Jewish faith.

I already know that he's not acknowledged in Synagogue which in turn keeps him from attending. Although, because he feels most comfortable with the Jewish faith, he refrains from church as well. It bothers me on more than one level that he doesn't have a clearer sense as to where he fits in. I only pray that in the end, his life would have been lived accordingly and that he'll make it into Heaven. I only say Heaven because that is what I believe as well as what he believes.

If being half-Jew isn't recognized though, what then does this make his children? Obviously non-Jews correct (there mother isn't Jewish)? Although, he tells them that they are half-Jew as well. I find it interesting though, that just because my cousin's mother is non-Jewish even though his father is that this in itself divides he and his brother from the heritage of their father. All because the mother is considered a Gentile, then he and his brother are not able to share a sense of religious connection with their father or even their grandmother who are both full fledged Jews even though they both claim the Jewish faith.

What then are the consequences (for lack of a better word) for him to profess being a Jew even though he's not recognized as one by the Synagogue? What happens when in the end for him, seeing as how he doesn't believe that Jesus was the Son of God however, only a Prophet. If he's not recognized as a Jew but lives semi-accordingly to the Jewish beliefs what issues does that arise for him on Judgment Day? I guess there's really no answer to that... God is the only judge and knowingly, He'll judge accordingly.

As for my opinion... I do not believe it was his fault that a sense of religious confusion was brought in to his life. After all, he didn't ask to be born to both a Jew and a Gentile and be raised under both faiths. I can easily see how the confusion so easily exist. It would be just as hard for me if I were in the same situation... it's not an easy walk. It's not an easy walk for his brother either, because he claims to be even more Jewish although he married a Catholic and attends Mass. Religion is an interesting subject nonetheless. Again, though thank you for your explanation.

DeeEinstein

By the Reform and Reconstruction Movements, as long as he claims Jewish identity, he can be considered Jewish. By the Conservative and Orthodox Movements, he would not be considered Jewish (though I think some Conservative congregations are more lenient on this issue). From a purely ethnic standpoint, he is considered Jewish (Jewish ethnicity, for secular intents and purposes, is the child or grandchild of a halachic Jew). Outside of Israel and the Ashkenazi, non-Ashkenazi Jews who have not been affected by Ashkenazi traditions would consider him Jewish ethnically, as well, as maternal-only bloodline theory is, traditionally, only an Ashkenazi belief, though Ashkenazim being the majority of Jews and the most dominant ethnic group in Judaism for two centuries or more has led to others' to abandon the tradition of dual-bloodline heritage (long held by most Sephardim, and still held by some in the United States, most of those who live in Latin America, and many of those who remain in the Arab world.

However, if he doesn't claim Jewish identity at all, then no one would consider this cousin of yours Jewish except in a secular, ethnic sense.

Well, now this explains some things regarding what I just currently posted. Now, I can understand why he's considered Jewish even though the Synagogue does not accept him (at least by way of what's he's told me). Why are there different types of Jews? Is that similar to the Christian faith having so many different denominations? I know that the process of conversion is a tedious one but what exactly does it all entail? I'm not by any means stating I would like to denounce my Christian beliefs however, I've just always been immensely intrigued with Judaism and how the religion in itself seems to be one of such high standards. I do not like to label myself a denomination although I do attend a Pentecostal Church of God church and sometimes I find my faith a bit more based on the grounds of interpretation as opposed to a more analytical, factual standpoint... if that makes sense. I'm highly interested in learning more regarding the Jewish faith.

Deut 13:1

If being half-Jew isn't recognized though, what then does this make his children? Obviously non-Jews correct (there mother isn't Jewish)?
It depends on his mother. If its important enough for him to become a Jew, he can convert if he is serious about it. It takes a few years of study and a lot of dedication. I'm not sure I understand why he wants to be a Jew though since he is not. He can be a perfectly good gentile with the same outcome.

Although, he tells them that they are half-Jew as well. I find it interesting though, that just because my cousin's mother is non-Jewish even though his father is that this in itself divides he and his brother from the heritage of their father. All because the mother is considered a Gentile, then he and his brother are not able to share a sense of religious connection with their father or even their grandmother who are both full fledged Jews even though they both claim the Jewish faith.
Fathers carry the tribal lineage. Numbers chapter 1.

What then are the consequences (for lack of a better word) for him to profess being a Jew even though he's not recognized as one by the Synagogue? What happens when in the end for him, seeing as how he doesn't believe that Jesus was the Son of God however, only a Prophet. If he's not recognized as a Jew but lives semi-accordingly to the Jewish beliefs what issues does that arise for him on Judgment Day? I guess there's really no answer to that... God is the only judge and knowingly, He'll judge accordingly.
As I said before, the judgement day is a christian belief. After all it was jesus who said... "I'll be back..." or was that arnold schwartzenegger :p Sorry for my poor taste in jokes.

Anyways, being serious, non-Jews that believe in Judaism but don't convert, follow the covanent that was made with Noah. Now there is a debate even among Jews about wheather or not a gentile can believe in jesus and at the same time live up to the noahide laws.

Why are there different types of Jews? Is that similar to the Christian faith having so many different denominations?
There is one key distinction in my opinion between jews and christians. Jews while there are numerous degrees of observance via: reform, reconstruct, conserv, orthodox, etc... all use the same TNK, letter for letter, word for word. Christians on the other hand tend to use different translations of the bible and have completely different takes on manuscripts and beliefs.

To be fair, so Jay doesn't come campaigning in here, Jews do experience a similar difference. Among the orthodox, we use the Talmud and believe this was given to Moshe at Sinai. The other branches for the most part don't share this belief, but we all are united in the uniformity of our TNK.

I believe, and again this is my opinion and not the beliefs of Judaism, that the only significant difference between the reformed, conserv, reconstruct, orthodox in theory, is their level of observance. So for example, I've heard some reformed jews argue that pork and shellfish are okay because they were time-based punishments. Do I believe that argument? No, of course not but it is noteworthy that even reformed and orthodox agree on a lot more then they think, its just that they have a different interpretation on how to follow it. When it comes to christianity, a lot of the actual beliefs are drastically different from catholics who believe you must have a priest in the process of confession to mormons who have all sorts of different beliefs.

I know that the process of conversion is a tedious one but what exactly does it all entail?
Years and years of intense study. The fastest that I personally know of someone converting to Judaism (Orthodox) is 9 months and that was when he was planning to marry a firm jewish woman that he met from work. He was already living a very Jewish life in several ways... attending synagauge three times a day, eating kosher, had made plans to attend yeshiva, etc... General conversion takes a few years at the minimum though and a clear sense of dedication. It's not to be taken lightly.

....sometimes I find my faith a bit more based on the grounds of interpretation as opposed to a more analytical, factual standpoint... if that makes sense. I'm highly interested in learning more regarding the Jewish faith.
It makes a lot of sense, I believe that the reformed and conserv branches of judaism do this a lot.