• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Example of Advaita Meditation

Nataraj Das

Jai Gurudev!

Dear brothers and sister, this is how I meditate on Advaita Vedanta. Maybe You can share Your realizations on this topic with me too, so I can better understand it?

*The Advaita meditation prescribed hereby by the author in different stages is just a free adaptation of Ramana Maharishi's teachings.

0. The external reality we percieve through our senses is an illusion.
Advaita, the non-dual meditation, turns our attention from the outside world of duality, towards the inner reality of absolute oneness.
To reach the final realization of this meditation we need to ask ourselves the question 'Who Am I'?

1. We identify ourselves with an 'I', the individual ego of a living being. The 'I' thinks 'I am this body, I am doing this and I am like that'.
This illusory perception of identifying oneself with its individual body and mind creates a separation from the rest of all that exists.

2. The 'I' experiences repeating pleasure and suffering due to a sensual contact with all the temporary phenomena that appear to be real on the outside.
These experiences are limited by the time, but the 'I' remains always unchanged.

3. As the 'I' observes all the experiences of the outside, we can go further and observe the 'I' itself.

4. At this stage there is no individual 'I' or the many of them, who would observe anything at all. There is only one observer left.

5. As a man watches a world that appears on a small screen he knows it is a projection which is not real,
then he sees a big screen on which he appears watching the small screen and himself being only a projection.

6. So who is the one that is left and watches the big screen? It is the One True Self that alone exists and is not being watched by anyone else.

7. In this way we can return to the origin of all existance and remain there unaffected by the duality of life and death, pleasure and suffering, good and bad etc.

8. Here at the final stage of realization 'Who Am I'? there is only the One Absolute Being - blissfull, full of knowledge and eternal.
This is 'Who I Am'.