• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Examining Kemetic perspectives on homosexuality

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I think it's important to make a thread about this, because Egyptian view of sexuality is often not known about, or is viewed in such a distorted way that it presents an inaccurate picture of sex in Kemeticism.

One that has come up time and again is homosexuality. Is homosexuality permissible for a Kemetic? Was it permissible to the ancient Egyptians? Was it against Ma'at? All these have come up at some time.

I will argue that yes it's true, the Egyptians did question if homosexuality was degrading to a man or not in the context of cultural sex roles. It wasn't ever declared immoral by the religion, or as illegal by the state. It wasn't punished, but it was questioned.

Many wishing to say the Egyptians condemned homosexuality will point to one of the negative confessions, which is often poorly translated, and may be rendered in either of these ways:

"I have not lain down with men."
"I have not abused sex."
"I have not engaged in sex with a minor."

The point is, this is usually not translated by scholars as being about homosexuality. It is usually translated as merely being about sexual misconduct, which can be broad, or as about pedestry, which we know the Egyptians frowned on.

There is no very clear case that can be made that the Egyptians ever condemned homosexuality.