• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution vs. Creation: Are we overpopulating?

Heidi

I recently had a discussion with some people about the world overpopulation concerns. I noticed the major factors affecting the views were based on whether we evolved or were created by God in which he says, "Go forth and multiply and fill the Earth". What are your views about overpopulation? Are your views based on religion?

Natas

Heidi said:
I recently had a discussion with some people about the world overpopulation concerns. I noticed the major factors affecting the views were based on whether we evolved or were created by God in which he says, "Go forth and multiply and fill the Earth". What are your views about overpopulation? Are your views based on religion?
I'm personally not too worried about overpopulation. I think there will always be enough dictators, war-mongers, etc. around to keep the population under control. Even if this wasn't enough to control population, eventually people will become overcrowded enough to consume natural and man made resources faster then they can be produced. What follows that will be a natural reduction in population.

Natas

Heidi said:
Maybe, but what will we destroy of our planet in the meantime?
Good point, Heidi, I was being a tad sarcastic in my earlier post, but it's pretty much what I think will happen.

Ryan2065

Heidi said:
What are your views about overpopulation?
Not worried about it. As I found out in another thread, if we took all the people in the world and put them in texas they could all have a nice area of .05 blocks x .05 blocks. So yea, all the people of the world would fit in texas with approx the size of a small house for space. =)

Heidi said:
Are your views based on religion?
Nope

Ulver

Ryan2065 said:
Not worried about it. As I found out in another thread, if we took all the people in the world and put them in texas they could all have a nice area of .05 blocks x .05 blocks. So yea, all the people of the world would fit in texas with approx the size of a small house for space. =)

So... do you think that habitat loss in animal species is all made up?

Also, I remember someone refuting that mathematical calculation you mentioned on another thread.

Fact of the matter is you can look at the pop. growth of the human race on a chart and it's extremely exponential. Comparisions with other population charts show a drop will likely happen. So let us all just wait I guess till the next "Doomsday Virus" (the next ebola) hits.

np: Danzig- How The Gods Kill

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Heidi said:
Hello Heidi;

I don't think we have met before! Nice to meet you.:)

The only point I see about overpopulation is that the families with a large number of children seem to come from Countries that are very economically deprived; I would be interested to see (and I will see if I can find any) statistics concerning any pattern with a 'large family'.

My views are totally out of the province of religion - from a purely 'logical' standpoint I worry greatly about the type of people who I believe have the largest families, and their inability to feed them. The 'Go forth and multiply' may well be in the Bible, but it is hard wired into our instincts anyway. Interesting subject.:)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Wars and sickness and famine have never been more than a temporary blip on the human population growth. we are not far off the time when recourses can not keep up.

The science fiction idea of having periodic cull of the population will become thinkable when the quality of life is no longer sustainable.

First though will be the use of the remaining wilderness and its resources , then the elimination of competing life forms.

Use of the alaskan wilderness is already under discussion.
Sterilization will become compulsary. Pro life will take on a whole new meaning.

Terry

Fade

The Great Master Bates
I think it's hilarious that 'Go forth and Multiply' (euphemism for f*** off) is in the bible :D

As for over population, I'm not too worried about it because nature tends to work things out, whether we're happy with the outcome or not.

CMIYC

Heidi said:
First of all, has overpopulation have anything to do with evolution or creation? If population has anything to do with evolution, then evolution would be in negative mode.
If overpopulation has anything to do with creation, then creation is on its last days of humanity. As it is today we have an explosion of overpopulation in poor countries, neither evolution is benefiting or creation. They are all dieing through starvation and disease.

Cynic

CMIYC said:
When you have answered the meaning of evolution then the sentence will become more clear.
Could you please clarify what you meant in that sentence?

What meaning are you talking about? Evolution has a meaning?

A flag has meaning and a purpose. There is no meaning and purpose for evolution, but I'm assuming that you're talking about adaptation and multiplying.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
CMIYC said:
When you have answered the meaning of evolution then the sentence will become more clear.
Evolution: descent with modification thru the differential effects of a change in allele frequency over time. Your statement was senseless.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
This is a bit off topic so I apologise, but I have to know. Deut. who is the person in your avatar?

CMIYC

Deut. 32.8 said:
Evolution: descent with modification thru the differential effects of a change in allele frequency over time. Your statement was senseless.
Isn’t the aim of evolution improvement? If it wasn’t then the species would die off. How can over population benefit this improvement in poor countries. When malnutrition leads to diseases, deformities and the obvious starvation. Deformities can be passed on genetically, just like everything else. Therefore, overpopulation leads to negative evolution. By the way, I’m from the age of reason, obvious is obvious not senseless.

Cynic

CMIYC said:
Isn’t the aim of evolution improvement? If it wasn’t then the species would die off. How can over population benefit this improvement in poor countries. When malnutrition leads to diseases, deformities and the obvious starvation. Deformities can be passed on genetically, just like everything else. Therefore, overpopulation leads to negative evolution. By the way, I’m from the age of reason, obvious is obvious not senseless.
The "aim" is adaptation and survival. I would assume that the reproduction rate would increase when the life expectancy of a species becomes short.

What you are asking doesn't make much sense.
Genetical diseases are hereditary. Illness caused by malnutrition is not hereditary.
A genetical disease can be caused by a single base change in a gene of the human genome. The base change results in malformation of proteins. (When you take a look at a human, you are seeing the result of protein action). If a protein is malformed, it will not function properly. This is what causes things such as Systic Fibrosis and Tay-Sachs.

Your statements show a very limited understanding of evolution and genetics.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
CMIYC said:
There isn't an 'aim' to evolution. There isn't a target to hit or goal to reach. edit - I like Cynics comment. The 'aim' is to survive.

Negative Evolution? Are you saying they are de-evolving? I think you are making this up as you go along.