• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evil demands a price: exorcism

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

OK, I haven't ever told anyone this story. It's about my encounter with an exorcism while in college. Most of the events appear in local papers at the time. Anyway, I've been a member now for almost 10 years and I thought you should know what might be the most important event in my life. My wife doesn't even know this.

XXXXXX

When I was a young religious studies major, the Religion Department at my university had a film of an exorcism given to one of the professors from the late 1970s by one of the three Roman Catholic exorcists who were practicing at the time. There was a rule in the department that only seniors could watch it and the professor had to be present.

Well, a friend of mine was a TA and he got his hands on the film. So myself and four other religion majors - all of us ordained ministers - snuck into the university's original auditorium that still had a reel projector, with the assistance of a film student. Side note - the old auditorium was not in use, and it was deep inside the third floor of the oldest building on campus. For some reason the university chose to build around it instead of repurposing it -- so to get to it you had to walk through a narrow undeveloped corridor that was between the walls. Very cool.

Anyway, the five of us watched the film. I've never told anyone what we saw, but only two of us survived the term.

One of my friends was a pastor who commuted about 40 miles to his church - he was killed along with his entire family on the way to church one day. A dryer of all things fell of a truck - there wasn't enough time or room to swerve, and no one in the car was wearing seat belts. They were all taking off their jackets - it was winter and the car was heating up a bit.

The film student threw himself off the roof of the building that night.

Another religion student killed himself on the stage of the auditorium - he took two blunt butter knives, jabbed them into his eyes, and pounded his head on the stage until he died. His wife said that she was grateful he found peace because he had not slept in the ten days since he saw the film.

That's three dead, so the other survivor and myself returned the film to the old professor and told him everything. We didn't think that it was over, so we sought his advice. He said he couldn't help us - he didn't want to get involved because he had just had his first two grandkids born and he didn't want any harm to come to his family.

The university had been planning on renovating the building for years. But they left the auditorium alone for some reason. What they did do was remove access to it - they removed the door and sealed it up with a wall, leaving the corridor and the auditorium untouched - I guess they planned on repurposing it later if needed. Anyway, they moved in the higher ranking professors into the beautiful new hall.

So there was one survivor and myself. His name is Mike, and he was my best friend in college.

Mike and I both arrived as transfer students in 1999. He and I both had private rooms in the dorm - there were only four in the whole building. Mine was directly above his. We both drove 1994 Ford Ranger trucks, travelled in opposite directions 45 miles to serve in local churches. We married roommates.

He had gotten married in August at the beginning of his senior year, and I got married the following November. We ended up living in the same duplex - we both moved in during the summer, me alone and him with his wife (about a month later).

After graduation, he went into the ministry and I worked for the university.

A new couple moved into the duplex. That’s when my wife started having night terrors. She would wake up screaming and run of the house. She’d wake up outside (with me there, of course). The next night, our new neighbor’s wife - Alice - ran screaming out of her house. This kind of thing would happen about twice a week. After about a month, they moved out. Night terrors stopped.

Well, we thought that Alice had moved out. Police detectives from a nearby town (where she is from) came knocking at our door. Alice had been missing for three days and they asked if we knew that she was having problems with her husband. Apparently he had been cheating on her quite a bit, she knew, but wasn’t financially able to leave.

Professors on the third floor started complaining about a stench that got worse every day. I was working on the first floor, and after a week, I could smell it, too. The maintenance crew couldn’t find anything in the hall, so they looked in the attic, which is massive. That search took a week, and nothing. The smell went away after a while and everything went back to normal.

Three years later I was still working at the university. I was really good friends with the IT department, and they were planning to move into the third floor. When the construction crew opened the corridor, a stench came out that was so powerful that they had to evacuate the building. No one could go in, so the university hired a cleanup crew (that usually cleans houses after fires) to come and clean it out. When they arrived in the auditorium they found it completely covered in ash. That’s were they found Alice.

Mike and I moved on. He’s pastoring churches, and I’m a scholar. Four years ago while I was finishing up my PhD, I started having recurring nightmares of the film. I eventually had to be hospitalized for a few weeks. Mike lost both his parents and both of his wife’s parents within that two week period. Whatever happened to my mind will never be healed - at least that what the doctors say - I’ll be taking pills for the rest of my life. That was 14 years after the incident.

Mike and I are still good friends. We wonder who will be next — or if there will be any more tragedy stemming from our curiosity. It does seem like tragedy seems to strike at key milestones in our lives - graduation from college, getting married, me finishing my PhD. He’s now where I was four years ago… he’ll be graduating soon.

I’ve never told a soul this - but this whole event is why I never became a pastor.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Am I at risk for reading this? Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

So why do you tell us now?

And you said local media covered various aspects of the story?

Iti oj

Premium Member
Also what you watched... What case was it? Was the exorcism successful? Who was possesd by what/who. When and where etc.

A

angellous_evangellous

Am I at risk for reading this? Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

So why do you tell us now?

And you said local media covered various aspects of the story?

Yes - like the deaths - the deaths - the suicide, car wreck, Alice. Also, because of Alice's husband was the son of a wealthy businessman, her disappearance got a lot of attention. He also made the newspapers with a few of his ladies.

No, you're not at risk. I didn't tell you anything about the film itself. In fact, I've never told anyone and I never will.

I don't know what the rules are for this.

A

angellous_evangellous

Also what you watched... What case was it? Was the exorcism successful? Who was possesd by what/who. When and where etc.

All I can say about it is what I've said already - it was set in the late 1970s and something about it was very wrong.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Yes - like the deaths - the deaths - the suicide, car wreck, Alice. Also, because of Alice's husband was the son of a wealthy businessman, her disappearance got a lot of attention. He also made the newspapers with a few of his ladies.

No, you're not at risk. I didn't tell you anything about the film itself. In fact, I've never told anyone and I never will.

I don't know what the rules are for this.

I'm willing to take the risk.... I'm fascinated

A

angellous_evangellous

I'm willing to take the risk.... I'm fascinated

I'm not willing. It was hard enough to write about it in the first place - I just wanted to share a story that illustrates the seriousness of the issue.

I admit that every once in a while I'll crawl around the internet to see if it's posted somewhere or if there's anything like it. But this was from the private collection of an exorcist - and it was returned to him.

I suspect that the film is not harmful in certain contexts - my professor was willing to show it to anyone in his presence. I don't know what the significance of that was - he didn't tell us. Maybe he was strong enough in the faith to protect us - or maybe he could have told us not to listen to something. I don't know.

I know we shouldn't have taken it, but I wish that the professor had been more direct in his warning. Or perhaps he could have kept it more secure.

Iti oj

Premium Member
I'm not willing. It was hard enough to write about it in the first place - I just wanted to share a story that illustrates the seriousness of the issue.

I admit that every once in a while I'll crawl around the internet to see if it's posted somewhere or if there's anything like it. But this was from the private collection of an exorcist - and it was returned to him.

I suspect that the film is not harmful in certain contexts - my professor was willing to show it to anyone in his presence. I don't know what the significance of that was - he didn't tell us. Maybe he was strong enough in the faith to protect us - or maybe he could have told us not to listen to something. I don't know.

I know we shouldn't have taken it, but I wish that the professor had been more direct in his warning. Or perhaps he could have kept it more secure.
Very well. I appreciate your bravery in sharing what you did share. If you ever decide you want or need to discuss what you saw I'm all ears but I'll respect that you don't and won't.

Iti oj

Premium Member
So did Alice have any connection to the school other than you?

A

angellous_evangellous

So did Alice have any connection to the school other than you?

Alice and her husband were both students. He was a business major and she was a film student.

I don't know why she died or if it's connected to my story. I just thought it was interesting that she had the same type of night terrors as my wife. Two other families lived there - both of them had night terrors and only lasted a few weeks in the house. My wife thought there was something wrong with the house and we moved out.

The university has since bulldozed the entire block and it's a parking lot now.

Side note: Alice was HOT.

Parsimony

Reminds me of someone else's story I once read who claimed that he was attacked by demons and demon-possessed crows after viewing footage of "real" aliens. He warned people not to watch those videos or they may be attacked by demons too. I was actually fairly obsessed with his story until I found and watched the videos for myself. It seemed pretty apparent to me that the "aliens" in the (pixelated) footage were created by pareidolia. I watched maybe 20 of those videos and not a single strange thing happened to me. The events which happened to him I then pinned down to coincidence and psychological effects.

A

angellous_evangellous

Reminds me of someone else's story I once read who claimed that he was attacked by demons and demon-possessed crows after viewing footage of "real" aliens. He warned people not to watch those videos or they may be attacked by demons too. I was actually fairly obsessed with his story until I found and watched the videos for myself. It seemed pretty apparent to me that the "aliens" in the (pixelated) footage were created by pareidolia. I watched maybe 20 of those videos and not a single strange thing happened to me. The events which happened to him I then pinned down to coincidence and psychological effects.

Yeah, this is a little different. First, I don't know the mechanics of this... I was merely sharing an experience. It might not be demons - I don't think I claimed that - but I think it's easy to agree that there's evil here. Is it concentrated on the film? Maybe, maybe not.

All of this could be coincidence and not connected at all. But for me, I at least respect the possibility of evil. That is, because of this experience I think that there's a possibility - however small - that evil exists and it can be deadly.

Parsimony

Yeah, this is a little different. First, I don't know the mechanics of this... I was merely sharing an experience. It might not be demons - I don't think I claimed that - but I think it's easy to agree that there's evil here. Is it concentrated on the film? Maybe, maybe not.

All of this could be coincidence and not connected at all. But for me, I at least respect the possibility of evil. That is, because of this experience I think that there's a possibility - however small - that evil exists and it can be deadly.
Oh, I certainly believe that it's possible as well. Still, I'd rather investigate potential psychological causation first. If that film made your friends sufficiently fearful of demons, it could have had a major impact on them. For instance, if a person is very fearful of rabies and is bitten by a dog, they can exhibit the symptoms of the disease within a few hours even if the dog was healthy.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
Why would the.. professor even show it to begin with. That means all these seniors over the last age have seen it lol
You catholics are nuts. Like, Nuts.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Maybe the knowledge that you were doing something wrong by watching the film played role whether psychological or spiritual... You all knew you were doing something wrong, hid it and watched in the dark so to speak.

A

angellous_evangellous

Oh, I certainly believe that it's possible as well. Still, I'd rather investigate potential psychological causation first. If that film made your friends sufficiently fearful of demons, it could have had a major impact on them. For instance, if a person is very fearful of rabies and is bitten by a dog, they can exhibit the symptoms of the disease within a few hours even if the dog was healthy.

Well, none of us were afraid of demons before we saw the film. Neither Mike nor myself belive in demons now. I just respect the possibility of an evil that can direct itself.

A

angellous_evangellous

Maybe the knowledge that you were doing something wrong by watching the film played role whether psychological or spiritual... You all knew you were doing something wrong, hid it and watched in the dark so to speak.

We watched it as a prank - just something fun to do in a tiny college. We brought popcorn and cokes.

A

angellous_evangellous

Ok, I get it. I don't think that there's anything psychological that could have happened in that room that could have caused all of those deaths, except for the suicides but even those might have other causes. Now I do think that there would be a significant psychological cause for someone to try and weave all of those deaths together now -- like for some psychological reason I am linking all of these deaths together where no length exists.

But I do confess that I'm not sure if the deaths are connected -- I'm just trying to relate an experience... in the sense that this is what happened, and then this is what happened... the reader can choose for him/her self.

But the nature of the demonic itself? There were five of us present, two may have believed in demons-- I know this from previous conversations with them. I didn't and Mike didn't, so obviously the two that did believe died. One of them was the pastor who died in the car wreck, which was caused by an appliance in the road. The other was a suicide.

I confess also that the film was the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. That was about 14 years ago. I suppose that the good thing out of all this is nothing I see is disturbing - I can see dismemberments, murders, car crashes with decapitations, even dead children and it doesn't affect me at all. I feel empathy but not fear or anything else.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the old professor died of kidney failure about four years ago.

lunamoth

Will to love
Very disturbing story, AE. The only thing I find hard to believe is that you didn't tell Mrs. AE about this!