• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eventful day at work

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I'm tagging @Guitar's Cry so he knows how my day went. And @sun rise cuz he seems to like hearing about my work.
It was an eventful day today at the daycare I work at. I was working with the school aged kids by myself. Second time ever working with them. There was a disabled kid who was nonverbal who kept pointing to the door crying. Turns out his phone died and was on charge in the room next to us. I noticed however he kept rubbing his fingers against different items. So i gave him koosh ball I brought to work with me told him he can have it. He loved it kept rubbing it against his hands, feet, and face. Stopped crying and trying to get to his phone. After taking care of him a fight broke out between two kids. I was breaking it apart and while I was doing that another kid snuck out the classroom and I turn around she brings in another student and say- he snuck out I was bringing him back, Ray. I then do a head count and low and behold there's 16 students. I counted 15 when i arrived. So i poke my head out into the other room and ask if that's their kid or mine. While im doing that said kid attacks another student by scratching and biting said kid so i turn around now there's this kid crying and telling what happened since i didn't see it. Apparently this is common behavior from the kid that attacked her cuz the person he attacked said He always does this. He's always hurting me. And im just like ah crap and the other teacher takes the kid that attacked her back to her classroom...i soon after that got put back with the two year olds who I usually work with. They were their usual selves. I however do not like the way the other teacher deals with temper tantrums in the classroom. They treat it like it's misbehavior instead of an emotion regulation issue. At two the kids lacks communication skills. They also lack emotional regulation skills. So of course they going to throw a fit when disappointed it's not manipulation it's the kid not knowing how to react to their emotions and being upset cuz of it. The other teacher with me was just going to let this one student cry it out throwing a tantrum instead of helping the kid learn the tools she needs to understand how to manage and regulate her emotions. I meanwhile walked over there and started teaching the kid deep breathing techniques. She calmed down pretty quickly after that and I was able to figure out what was wrong and help her with her conflict resolution skills.

All in all it was a nice day at work but not without some conflict. I enjoyed working with the two year olds and the school aged children.

Last edited:

VoidCat

After reading all this is anyone here shocked i kinda want to be put with the school aged kids more often?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I'm tagging @Guitar's Cry so he knows how my day went. And @sun rise cuz he seems to like hearing about my work.
It was an eventful day today at the daycare I work at. I was working with the school aged kids by myself. Second time ever working with them. There was a disabled kid who was nonverbal who kept pointing to the door crying. Turns out his phone died and was on charge in the room next to us. I noticed however he kept rubbing his fingers against different items. So i gave him koosh ball I brought to work with me told him he can have it. He loved it kept rubbing it against his hands, feet, and face. Stopped crying and trying to get to his phone. After taking care of him a fight broke out between two kids. I was breaking it apart and while I was doing that another kid snuck out the classroom and I turn around she brings in another student and say- he snuck out I was bringing him back, Ray. I then do a head count and low and behold there's 16 students. I counted 15 when i arrived. So i poke my head out into the other room and ask if that's their kid or mine. While im doing that said kid attacks another student by scratching and biting said kid so i turn around now there's this kid crying and telling what happened since i didn't see it. Apparently this is common behavior from the kid that attacked her cuz the person he attacked said He always does this. He's always hurting me. And im just like ah crap and the other teacher takes the kid that attacked her back to her classroom...i soon after that got put back with the two year olds who I usually work with. They were their usual selves. I however do not like the way the other teacher deals with temper tantrums in the classroom. They treat it like it's misbehavior instead of an emotion regulation issue. At two the kids lacks communication skills. They also lack emotional regulation skills. So of course they going to throw a fit when disappointed it's not manipulation it's the kid not knowing how to react to their emotions and being upset cuz of it. The other teacher with me was just going to let this one student cry it out throwing a tantrum instead of helping the kid learn the tools she needs to understand how to manage and regulate her emotions. I meanwhile walked over there and started teaching the kid deep breathing techniques. She calmed down pretty quickly after that and I was able to figure out what was wrong and help her with her conflict resolution skills.

All in all it was a nice day at work but not without some conflict. I enjoyed working with the two year olds and the school aged children.

Wow! It is so cool how you helped the kid with the temper tantrum. Usually it is assumed that the kid is just being naughty. I had no idea that you have to teach them to manage their emotions. That is so awesome. I am proud of you. :)

VoidCat

Wow! It is so cool how you helped the kid with the temper tantrum. Usually it is assumed that the kid is just being naughty. I had no idea that you have to teach them to manage their emotions. That is so awesome. I am proud of you. :)
Well...no one is born knowing how to manage emotions. Most arent ever taught properly. That's why there's so many adults act all crazy when arguing or need to learn emotional management in therapy...they still don't know how to manage emotions or problem solve or communicate because they were not taught. It's because people arent viewing children as still learning and needing to be guided or challenging behavior as there being a reason behind it they view them as misbehaving. So they treat the behavior not the cause and wonder why once the kid reaches adulthood they may lack skills needed to have healthy relationships.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
What you are doing isn't the result of a learned trait......I would bet you have had these sensitivity skills since you were a child...I could be wrong of course so I'll only bet a quarter..:)....We both know not everyone should be working with children because they can be very difficult....I'm not faulting your co-worker.....I'm speaking in general terms....

VoidCat

New What you are doing isn't the result of a learned trait......I would bet you have had these sensitivity skills since you were a child..
Im not sure of what traits you talking about. Empathy? Ive always been empathic. How to use emotional regulation? I had to learn that through therapy. Children needing to be taught emotional regulation? I learned that through trauma and my own experiences with children.

..We both know not everyone should be working with children because they can be very difficult....I'm not faulting your co-worker.....I'm speaking in general terms.
No not everyone should I agree. Especially with a room of 18 two year olds. Even the most patient of people can be very stressed out by that many toddlers.

VoidCat

@Stonetree
I will say I've read up on child development since i was a child. I once back in 9th grade read through a college textbook on developmental psychology for funsies. Im currently in college classes for childcare. And I've had to relearn a lot about children in therapy and in self help because of my own traumatic past and having to figure out what in my childhood trauma do i need to work on.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I've read many of your posts in the past, on many threads, and in different RF forums. Just by being yourself, you have an influence on others just as you can influence those children's lives. The problems you face and have faced inform others, like me, that our more conventional upbringing is not shared by all......:)

VoidCat

I've read many of your posts in the past, on many threads, and in different RF forums. Just by being yourself, you have an influence on others just as you can influence those children's lives. The problems you face and have faced inform others, like me, that our more conventional upbringing is not shared by all......:)
Ah ok

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I ask because I coached different sports for the Police Athletic League in my former location. I had to break up fights but I'm a big guy by some standards.....

VoidCat

I ask because I coached different sports for the Police Athletic League in my former location. I had to break up fights but I'm a big guy by some standards.....
The fight was in the school age room. So they were like elementary and primary. That was before they moved me back to the two year old

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Okay, i
The fight was in the school age room. So they were like elementary and primary. That was before they moved me back to the two year old
I see......hey, have a Happy Thanksgiving if we don't dialog again soon.....bye

VoidCat

Okay, i

I see......hey, have a Happy Thanksgiving if we don't dialog again soon.....bye
I forgot to mention im a floater. They put me where im needed. If another teacher goes on break or if there's a classroom out of ratio they put me there. If everyone is in ratio and no one going on break they put me in the two year old room.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Excellent job teaching coping skills! In my profession we have three levels of responding to behavior: abuser (you hurt the child further), firefighter (you just stop the behavior with no education or trauma), and educator (you use the behavior as a teaching moment). Firefighter is the typical, but educator is obviously what we strive for ans it sounds like you did it!

VoidCat

Excellent job teaching coping skills! In my profession we have three levels of responding to behavior: abuser (you hurt the child further), firefighter (you just stop the behavior with no education or trauma), and educator (you use the behavior as a teaching moment). Firefighter is the typical, but educator is obviously what we strive for ans it sounds like you did it!
Well isnt that the point of working in education? To guide and teach the kids? If a kid displays challenging behavior then you try to teach and guide the child if possible not just stop the behavior.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Well isnt that the point of working in education? To guide and teach the kids? If a kid displays challenging behavior then you try to teach and guide the child if possible not just stop the behavior.

This is absolutely the point! American pedagogy needs to play catch up: Parents no longer either have the ability or time to work on SEL with their kids and teachers often don't have time to in classrooms or aren't trained to (unless they are special educators).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am, as always, willing to help with tips and suggestions from my new book.

Perhaps something from the chapter on your kids and superglue. That chapter's title is:

When I say sit down, I mean stay down!

The same chapter also deals with the problem of "Shut up".