• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evangelists... Seriously!?!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Wasn't sure whether or not this should go in debates or journals, since it may come off more as a rant.

Evangelists.... Seriously?

Some of you may know my wife and I's new town flooded, we were mostly spared, but had one room succumb to the local river Goddess' foul mood.

I had a wonderful organization called Samaritan's Purse, come by today and help do some mold mitigation in the room that flooded out. Thanks for that. Now with them came a couple of Chaplains, from a group of disaster ministries called Billy Graham something rather.

Now, I invited them into my home, as my wife is Lutheran Christian, and this has been as hard on her as it has me. I also allowed both organizations to pray for me and my wife, because it is no big deal to me.

What pissed me off, is while I stepped out of the room to use the phone (I had been on hold for 1.5 hours at this point and wasn't missing my call). Apparently, they had started talking to my wife about being "born again", not a concept I'm unfamiliar with, so cool maybe they help my wife. But get this, the guy talking to my wife
starts trying to get her to convert me to Christianity. She insisted several times that I was firm in my own beliefs, as I had already said earlier, I worship many Gods, when asked if I believed in Jesus and the Bible's God. Which pretty much ended his train of thought. And we switched to war stories.

Now, I'm a nice fellow, I'm big on Hospitality. Even if my temper may come off strong at times. But you're in my house on my terms, you do not come in here, and turn MY wife against me (not that you could, anyways). What skullduggery is this steaming pile of Auðumbla ****. This is a disaster area and I let you into my house on good faith. Never again.

1 Corinthians 13 : 4-5
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;

Why cast spouse against spouse? Attempt to turn households asunder? Is it because you follow Jesus? This is biblical inerrancy?

Matthew 10 : 35-36
For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 And a person's enemies will be those of his own household.

Lain

Wasn't sure whether or not this should go in debates or journals, since it may come off more as a rant.

Some of you may know my wife and I's new town flooded, we were mostly spared, but had one room succumb to the local river Goddess' foul mood.

I had a wonderful organization called Samaritan's Purse, come by today and help do some mold mitigation in the room that flooded out. Thanks for that. Now with them came a couple of Chaplains, from a group of disaster ministries called Billy Graham something rather.

Now, I invited them into my home, as my wife is Lutheran Christian, and this has been as hard on her as it has me. I also allowed both organizations to pray for me and my wife, because it is no big deal to me.

What pissed me off, is while I stepped out of the room to use the phone (I had been on hold for 1.5 hours at this point and wasn't missing my call). Apparently, they had started talking to my wife about being "born again", not a concept I'm unfamiliar with, so cool maybe they help my wife. But get this, the guy talking to my wife
starts trying to get her to convert me to Christianity. She insisted several times that I was firm in my own beliefs, as I had already said earlier, I worship many Gods, when asked if I believed in Jesus and the Bible's God. Which pretty much ended his train of thought. And we switched to war stories.

Now, I'm a nice fellow, I'm big on Hospitality. Even if my temper may come off strong at times. But you're in my house on my terms, you do not come in here, and turn MY wife against me (not that you could, anyways). What skullduggery is this steaming pile of Auðumbla ****. This is a disaster area and I let you into my house on good faith. Never again.

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;

Why cast spouse against spouse? Attempt to turn households asunder? Is it because you follow Jesus? This is biblical inerrancy?

For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 And a person's enemies will be those of his own household.

I think they were thinking of St. Paul saying, when speaking of mixed marriage (one spouse of Christ the other not): "If any brother has an unbelieving wife and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her. If any wife has an unbelieving husband and he consents to live with her, she must not divorce her husband. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the brother, since otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy. But if the unbeliever leaves, let him leave. The brother or the sister is not bound in such cases. But God has called us in peace. For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?"

Not sure.

And yes, being a Christian does often cause internal household conflict for obvious reasons, but as you consent to live with her it seems there is no reason for it now. No need to instigate it, although sanctifying the spouse and the children is considered a thing sought. There are many more Laws and nuances but I don't know your situation so that is a rough depiction of what they may or may not be thinking.

Reactions: DNB

Psalm23

I’m with you on this. It sounds like he was overstepping boundaries .

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Well you just quoted the verse that answers you so what are you mad about?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I also asked if this was Biblical inerrancy. Although maybe not as directly as I could have in retrospect.
I guess you could try to understand that he was probably acting out of love for you.
I don't believe what the Jehovah's witness tell me, but I don't get ticked when they come to my door and try to convert me. They genuinely believe it's for my good.

Reactions: DNB

Lain

I also asked if this was Biblical inerrancy. Although maybe not as directly as I could have in retrospect.

What do you mean by that? Biblical inerrancy is that because Scripture is inspired by the Holy Spirit the sacred authors did not err, all of Scripture in all parts is true and correct. When history is written it is a true and correct history, and on anything written in it whatsoever, it is free from error.

The verses to those who hold this doctrine (all orthodox Christians in my opinion) would be inerrant/without error.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
And yes, being a Christian does often cause internal household conflict for obvious reasons, but as you consent to live with her it seems there is no reason for it now. No need to instigate it, although sanctifying the spouse and the children is considered a thing sought. There are many more Laws and nuances but I don't know your situation so that is a rough depiction of what they may or may not be thinking.

And it doesn't have to, my wife and I don't see eye to eye on religion. But we don't argue about it either, as our love for each other supersedes that. Just like our agreement to allow any children we have to have access to both of our views if curious, without pushing them in either direction to support one or the other.

But what these two Chaplain's we're trying to do, was use that love and support as a cudgel to force homogeneity. In a time of hardship for us.... Seems out of bounds imo.

This will not damage me and my wife's relationship, as we are chuckling about the brashness ourselves. But that doesn't make it any less rude then it was.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
So you say. But what does inerrancy have to do with anything written in your OP?

A jab at the verses I posted. Those specifically talk about turning households asunder, as opposed to the verse above it that talks about love. The latter here is not a moral viewpoint imo.

Which means the bible is as fallible as any other document that has been "written".

Lain

A jab at the verses I posted. Those specifically talk about turning households asunder, as opposed to the verse above it that talks about love. The latter here is not a moral viewpoint imo.

Which means the bible is as fallible as any other document that has been "written".

Oh I see. Well I'd say both verses speak of love perfectly, but of course I think that.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Certainly a wrong way to approach the issue. It is a shame that they approached it in such a fashion.

Hope you also weathered the flood well.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

It's what they do. Surely you weren't all that surprised. In India, and elsewhere, they do it when the husband isn't home. You're lucky you were home.

I'm happy you survived a flood:)