• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EU Court upholds Belgian ban on kosher and halal slaughter

Shaul

Premium Member
The EU Court he’s upheld a Belgian law which requires an animal be stunned before being slaughtered. Such stunning violates the rules of kosher and halal slaughter.

EU court upholds Belgian ban on kosher ritual slaughter

Not mentioned in the article, such stunning of the animal is NOT more humane. The stunned animal experiences more pain that way according to Jewish experts, not less.

rosends

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
There's this:

Physiological insights into Shechita

Unfortunately one has to pay to read the entire article. However it gives the conclusion in the abstract:

"Dr Stuart Rosen discusses physiological aspects of Shechita, the Jewish method of religious animal slaughter. He outlines the religious context and describes the act of Shechita. He discusses the scientific literature on the behavioural responses to Shechita as well as neurophysiological studies relevant to the assessment of pain, and concludes that Shechita is a painless and humane method of animal slaughter.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
One thing I noticed while reading about this is that during Shechita the cut goes through the neck without severing the spinal cord. Question: Is there a halachic prohibition for severing the spinal cord? I'm not sure, of course, but it seems like this would further reduce potential for suffering which is intended by the ritual slaughter.

Messianic Israelite

Hi Shaul. Thank you for this. This really is shocking. I don't know how I missed this in the news. Makes me glad that the United Kingdom has undergone Brexit, but I wonder how long it will be for countries such as ourselves to follow suit. It really is a horrible case when you have the EU standing against the way of life dictated to us by the scriptures, claiming that we're the ones that are inhumane, but there's nothing inhumane about kosher slaughter.

Yahweh knows what He is doing. And Yahweh is merciful. Proverbs 12:10 indicates to me that kosher kill is humane. Yahweh created all things. I don't know if this is the best example to bring up, but Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son in such a way. He didn't say let me just stun my son first, or render him unconscious and Abraham loved his son very much. Kosher slaughter is a humane way to kill and a way that ensures the most blood is removed from the body.