• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethoipian orthodox bible

liljahraschild

does any1 know were i can get a bible with all of these book in it(might be by a differnt name)(there are 81)

A. The Holy Books of the Old Testament

1. Genesis
2. Exodus
3. Leviticus
4. Numbers
5. Deuteronomy
6. Joshua
7. Judges
8. Ruth
9. I and II Samuel
10. I and II Kings
11. I Chronicles
12. II Chronicles
13. Jublee
14. Enoch
15. Ezra and Nehemia
16. Ezra (2nd) and Ezra Sutuel
17. Tobit
18. Judith
19. Esther
20. I Maccabees
21. II and III Maccabees
22. Job
23. Psalms
24. Proverbs
25. Tegsats (Reproof)
26. Metsihafe Tibeb (the books of wisdom)
27. Ecclesiastes
28. The Song of Songs
29. Isaiah
30. Jeremiah
31. Ezekiel
32. Daniel
33. Hosea
34. Amos
35. Micah
36. Joel
37. Obadiah
38. Jonah
39. Nahum
40. Habakkuk
41. Zephaniah
42. Haggai
43. Zechariah
44. Malachi
45. Book of Joshua the son of Sirac
46. The Book of Josephas the Son of Bengorion

B. The holy books of the New Testament

1. Matthew
2. Mark
3. Luke
4. John
5. The Acts
6. Romans
7. I Corinthians
8. II Corinthians
9. Galatians
10. Ephesians
11. Philippians
12. Colossians
13. I Thessalonians
14. II Thessalonians
15. I Timothy
16. II Timothy
17. Titus
18. Philemon
19. Hebrews
20. I Peter
21. II Peter
22. I John
23. II John
24. III John
25. James
26. Jude
27. Revelation
28. Sirate Tsion (the book of order)
29. Tizaz (the book of Herald)
30. Gitsew
31. Abtilis
32. The I book of Dominos
33. The II book of Dominos
34. The book of Clement
35. Didascalia

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I, personally, don't know if there is a translation of the Ethiopian canon into English (as yet there isn't even a decent translation of the normal Orthodox canon, though one should be available before too long). I do, however, know somewhere where you might be able to ask. The following forum has a number of Oriental Orthodox (which I'm sure you realise is the communion to which the Ethiopian church belongs) on it and a section for discussing Oriental Orthodox issues. Someone there may be able to help you. Unfortunately I am Romanian Orthodox myself and so not in communion with the Ethiopians and I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/

I wish you luck and do you mind my asking why you're so interested in the Ethiopian canon?

James

IacobPersul is right, the EOC canon is not available in English, only in Amharic. It looks like we shall have to learn Amharic then.

If I may answer your question, IacobPersul. RasTafarI see the EOC canon as the only accurate version of the Bible.

Edit: Just thinking, there is a link to an Iyaric version of the Bible in the Rasta forum. It was translated from Amharic.

One Love
CanuckRasta

Sabio

IacobPersul said:
I, personally, don't know if there is a translation of the Ethiopian canon into English (as yet there isn't even a decent translation of the normal Orthodox canon, though one should be available before too long). I do, however, know somewhere where you might be able to ask. The following forum has a number of Oriental Orthodox (which I'm sure you realise is the communion to which the Ethiopian church belongs) on it and a section for discussing Oriental Orthodox issues. Someone there may be able to help you. Unfortunately I am Romanian Orthodox myself and so not in communion with the Ethiopians and I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/

I wish you luck and do you mind my asking why you're so interested in the Ethiopian canon?

James
Thanks for the link James, there are some very interesting discussions at this site on the similarities and differences between Protestants and Orthodox...
Being an evangelical I find it good reading material.

Sabio

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
CanuckRasta said:
IacobPersul is right, the EOC canon is not available in English, only in Amharic. It looks like we shall have to learn Amharic then.

If I may answer your question, IacobPersul. RasTafarI see the EOC canon as the only accurate version of the Bible.

Edit: Just thinking, there is a link to an Iyaric version of the Bible in the Rasta forum. It was translated from Amharic.

One Love
CanuckRasta
That's interesting. I'm aware of Bob Marley converting to Ethiopian Orthodoxy before he died but didn't realise there was any other link between the Rastafari and that Church. I'd have to note a couple of things though. Firstly, the Ethiopians are part of the Oriental Orthodox communion, which has other Biblical canons also (most have the same one as I do) so they obviously don't think it's the only valid canon. Secondly, they actually have two canons that I'm aware of. The narrow canon has only a few extra books to ours. The longer one (listed above, I think) has more. Is it only the longer canon you think is valid, or both?

James

Because Rastafari is such an individualized faith, the version of the Bible in use can vary greatly.

If an accurate version is not available, the word of Haile Selassie, would take precendence. In such a case, any thing Selassie says is believed as truth over the Bible.

"We in Ethiopia have one of the oldest versions of the Bible, but however old the version may be, in whatever language it might be written, the Word remains one and the same. It transcends all boundaries of empires and all conceptions of race. It is eternal."

And Bob did not convert. Rastas do NOT convert. I know several Rastas who are baptized into the EOC.

One Love
CanuckRasta

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
CanuckRasta said:
Because Rastafari is such an individualized faith, the version of the Bible in use can vary greatly.

If an accurate version is not available, the word of Haile Selassie, would take precendence. In such a case, any thing Selassie says is believed as truth over the Bible.

"We in Ethiopia have one of the oldest versions of the Bible, but however old the version may be, in whatever language it might be written, the Word remains one and the same. It transcends all boundaries of empires and all conceptions of race. It is eternal."

And Bob did not convert. Rastas do NOT convert. I know several Rastas who are baptized into the EOC.

One Love
CanuckRasta
OK. That was interesting. I'm not sure what you mean by saying Bob Marley didn't convert, though. He was accepted into the Ethiopian Church by baptism if I'm not mistaken and was given an Orthodox burial. Now, I know that the Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox do not differ much if at all in their beliefs on acceptance into the Church. At the time of baptism you must denounce all heresies (this, from an Orthodox point of view would most certainly include the rastafarian beliefs about Haile Selassie). In addition, if you are accepted by baptism this implies that you are either a non-Christian or an outright heretic, from the Church's point of view. People who do not fall into these categories are usually received by chrismation alone or a simple recantation of heterodox belief. And people who are not members of the Church cannot be given an Orthodox funeral. In what way then, did Bob Marley not convert? Are you saying that he never gave up has rastafarian beliefs and so duped the Ethiopian Orthodox Church? I hope not. Or are you viewing the idea of conversion in a diferent light than I (some people - heterodox - sometimes object to my saying that I converted because I was already a Christian previously, but it certainly felt like a conversion to me)?

James

Okay, this will be a little confusing. When people come onto Rasta forums, they go on and on about how they want to become a Rasta. Rasta is not something you become, its something that you just are.

For the EOC to require Bob to reject his Rasta beliefs, to say Haile Selassie is not divine, is one thing. I don't know if he did or not, but he was still a Rasta.

One Love
Lij Marques

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
CanuckRasta said:
Okay, this will be a little confusing. When people come onto Rasta forums, they go on and on about how they want to become a Rasta. Rasta is not something you become, its something that you just are.

For the EOC to require Bob to reject his Rasta beliefs, to say Haile Selassie is not divine, is one thing. I don't know if he did or not, but he was still a Rasta.

One Love
Lij Marques
OK, so now I'm confused (and I genuinely would like to understand - I'm not picking an argument, just to be clear). What exactly is it that makes someone a rastafarian? You see, I always thought that it was a religion and, normally at least, if one rejects the tenets of a religion one is no longer an adherent to it. I cannot prove that Bob Marley did so, but it would be odd if he didn't considering the incompatibility with Ethiopian Orthodox belief. So, what exactly does it mean to be a rastafarian? I really am interested in your answer.

James

Unlike most religions, Rastafari is not something that requires certain rites or rituals to be performed before you are a member. It is wishful thinking by the EOC to say Bob was not a Rasta when there was nothing to define him as such. Rastafari does not have an organized structure. The majority of adherents are considered independant and are not part of the three main divisions (Twelve Tribes of Israel, Theocratic Order of Nyahbinghi, Bobo Shanti).

As a result the movement does not possess a unified leadership or a defined doctrine. It is entirely up to the individual what they believe. Often, not all Rastas see His Imperial Majesty as divine, though that belief is seen as a defining marker of the movement.

One Love
CanuckRasta

Might of The Trinity

BALANCE BRINGA
But This is the Truth That when Bob did Get BAPtised. He was BAptised Under The NAme Of The MIght Of the Trinity. Or As RASTAFARI LOVE TO CALL IT HAILE SELASSIE I> KIng of kings Lord of lords Conquering Lion Of the Tribe of JUDah Light Of this World Defender of the Faith Root of David Abba JAhnoy Quademawi JAH RASTAFARI. SO You see Brothers When One gets BAptised in ORthodox anything EOc or Even the Higher ORthodox Tawhedo Your Are Under Supreme guidance From HAile Selassie THE First, or Might of the TRInity. Selah

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I'm surprised with all this progress and development in Christianity, they have yet to translate the other books in the Ethiopian canon into English!

arcanum

One Love
CanuckRasta
Anything Halie Selassie says takes precedence over the bible? Halie was a christian and i'm sure he would disagree with you whole heatedly.