• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esau, Rebekah, Jacob, and Isaac

Firecat89

I'm fascinated by this story, in which Jacob tries to fool Isaac into blessing him. My question is, who do you think was more wrong in this? Rebekah for motivating a reluctant Jacob, Jacob for agreeing, Isaac for giving the blessing to him in the end? Or perhaps even Esau?

fromthe heart

Firecat89 said:
I'm fascinated by this story, in which Jacob tries to fool Isaac into blessing him. My question is, who do you think was more wrong in this? Rebekah for motivating a reluctant Jacob, Jacob for agreeing, Isaac for giving the blessing to him in the end? Or perhaps even Esau?
Had Isaac not played favoritism with his sons it would never have happened. Could that be why Jesus said not to show favortisim ?

Linus

If I had to place more blame on one person than the other, I would say that Rebekah is probably more guilty. But in all fairness they are both guilty, and that is what is important. Besides, Isaac is not the only one who payed favorites with the two boys...

No*s

Captain Obvious
Firecat89 said:

There's plenty of guilt to pass around :). Esau was apathetic to the gifts given him, until after they were gone (look at how readily he sold his birthright). Jacob was a liar and a cheat. Rebekah and Esau seemed quite willing to play favorites.

I can't think who would be most guilty there.